The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
robbe seawolf v.2. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

5 posters

robbe seawolf v.2.

wadsworthj
    wadsworthj

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty robbe seawolf v.2.

Post  wadsworthj Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi.
    I am building this sub, (what a pain), and it does not make clear how you recharge the battery,
    I know i will have to constantly withdraw the tray, but the wear factor seems to be
    future problem in the waiting.
    I am using a nicad 6v 3000 nah cell.
    If anyone knows of a foolproof way of carrying out this chore,
    i would be greatfull for any advice.
    Cheers John.W.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty robbe seawolf v.2.

Post  johnrobinson Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm

HI John
    Just a idea you could put a coil of wire in side water proof tube or box what ever you are using and place another coil on the out side of water proof box when you won't to charge nicad pack in side that way you would never have to take tray out of water proof box or tube to charge. What you would do is set up a inductive field they use the same idea for charging tooth brushes plus you could make a unit that would switch the sub on when you put it in the water charging circuit it self would be in side sub its self and could be made very small hope it helps
    SUB JOHN
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty Re: robbe seawolf v.2.

Post  david f Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm

I think as a general rule - charging inside a WTC is not a good idea anyway. I think even NICADS can "offgas" some hydrogen under rare circumstances.

So generally, make the WTC easy to open and close. (You usually just need to do this for ventilation.

If you have to put power in (or out) external connectors (threaded rod, for example) are fine and only corrode slightly at 12v. (John's "induction" system sound a bit complicated.)

David
    wadsworthj
    wadsworthj

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty answering posts.

Post  wadsworthj Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi Sub John and Dave.
    Two birds with one stone!!
    John. thank you very much for your input, but sadly its way over my poor old (74), head, but the thought was there. Cheers.

Dave.
    The solution you offer is simple and practical, as this is my first sub,
    i am finding the instructions hard going, for the robbe, not at all teutonic!!
    But lateral thinking is being brought into play here.
    and i am coping.
    It will be an exellent grounding for my next project, what ever that may be,
    so there is all to play for, its too easy to get into the cant be bothered sindrome
    at my age, "Pensioner Power" is needed.
    I will work something out as i go along, i only intend to use internal recharging
    now and then. and open up for inspection, on, say a fortnightly basis.
    Thanks guys for your input, it will not be wasted.

Cheers John.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty ROBBE SEAWOLF V.2.

Post  johnrobinson Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm

HI DAVID
    Normally if you have nicads that give off gas from venting it means you are charging or discharging them to fast,but if you where to use a Polly cell type battery i could not see there being a problem as they do not vent in any way, even if you wonted to make it simple you could fit a nylon bolt with a silicone rubber ring under it balancing plug for charging Polly cell could sit under that so all you would have to do is unscrew bolt out and plug charging plug in.

I have seen on other forums where people have put heat shrink sleeving around nicads seal the ends up and they say it works fine, and they charge them in side the sub would not fancy doing that my self

SUB JOHN
    Hermann
    Hermann
    AMS member

Post  Hermann Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi friends,

the danger of an explosion due to battery gases is real and shouldn't be underestimated, so I can only confirm David by his advice of never charging the batteries in a sealed hull. Over the years several battery gas explosions had already happened in Germany, for example see the following link:

http://www.ig-schiffsmodellbau-berlin-mahlow.com/index.php/dies-a-das/41-modellbau-ist-nicht-ganz-ungefaehrlich-

That explosion happened on an exhibition and thanks god there hadn't been severe personal injuries although pieces of the model had been spread in a radius of approx. 50 feet. That modeller collegue had used NiMH cells that are "normally" considered as "gas tight". But as you can see there must have been some leakage of hydrogen, perhaps due to overcharging?

So you may leave the batteries in position for charging but do definetly open the sealed pressure hull and provide a certain ventilation to avoid accumulation of hydrogen (remember: a mixture of 4 percent hydrogen or more becomes explosive).

Kind regards
    Hermann
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm

John....those are wise words. I admit to charging in a sealed compartment once, but not any longer. If you find it difficult to get the end caps off, then drill a hole in the cylinder (use a watertight bung to seal it) and use it for venting off any gas that does build up.

To charge your batteries...take a good look at the Neptune system, then copy it. So simple and so effective.
    wadsworthj
    wadsworthj

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty venting

Post  wadsworthj Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi.
    Ok i will open up the EVERY TIME i charge,
    No problem, as i have now got the wtc to open up much more easily,
    i will conform, i am an ex fireman, so i aught to know better!!!!!!Cheers John.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

robbe seawolf v.2. Empty ROBBE SEAWOLF V.2.

Post  johnrobinson Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 pm

HI ALL

What i did to avoid accumulation of hydrogen, inside my big sub i use 5x12volts 24AHR GEL type battery's plus one 12 VOLTS 17AHR GEL type which is one big battery. When the sub is on the surface vent is open to take in air and what happens is compressor runs sucks air out of main sealed chamber in the sub and stores it in air tanks at 140PSI and then uses it to blow ballast tanks next time you surface, this way fresh air is always took on board and got rid of to blow ballast tanks so hydrogen is always kept low in side the sub. The sub all so has got a fan cooling the insides .

The trouble is with a lot of these accidents to do with battery's going BANG!! is to do with people not charging them correctly

If you look at people that have had poly battery's go BANG its more often there fault doing some thing wrong as back in the early days of the first chargers coming out you had to use jumpers on PCB board to select how many cells you wonted to charge it is a recipe for some thing to go wrong, then you had to select with jumper for the currant you wonted Plus even when sub is switch off if pressure plates was left bolted down vent would still stay open

SUB JOHN

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm