The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

2 posters

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit

Seehund Willy

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Empty Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit

Post  Seehund Willy Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Hello!
    I have recently found a Hegi U-25 kit that appears intact. I am looking for a copy of the original kit plans and instructions before I try working on this model.
    Anyone have copies they could provide?
    Anyone know where copies of the above could be obtained?
    Thanks to all!
    Telusboats

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Empty Re: Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit

Post  Telusboats Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:27 am

I believe I have the instruction booklet and the full size plans that you requested. The only difference is that when I got the kit it was distributed by Krick. let me know what you think. BTW, my sub was made of wood with a formed plastic top. I can send pictures if you wish.

Don

Seehund Willy likes this post

Seehund Willy

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Empty Hegi U-25 Plans

Post  Seehund Willy Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 am

I am not sure if the plans and instructions are the same. I understand that the Krick boats DID NOT have a precarved hull, but rather supplied layers of wood for the builder to cut out. I don't know if the differences start there or not.
    I would be glad to have the copies. Do you have a place near you that can copy large drawings? (You might want to check with a blueprint place. I have a local one I use that printed out a German Rail Gun for me in 1/8th scale, and the drawings are about 30 feet long. They are used to me bringing in goofy stuff, and the guy I usually deal with said they LIKE to see my stuff, because it isn't just normal boring building plans. Also, It's incredibly cheap. I rarely pay more than $10 for 10 large copies of locomotives, ships, etc. because they charge by the square FOOT. A lot of smaller print places charge by the square INCH, and it gets expensive very quickly)
    Let me know how much it would come to, with postage and all.
    Thanks VERY much! I really would like to get started on this U boat!
    Bill
    Telusboats

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Empty Re: Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit

Post  Telusboats Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:29 pm

I just found the plans and the instruction booklet. you are correct in that the lower part of the hull is made up of layers of precut wood that are glued together and then finished off.
    I do not need the booklet or plans anymore and I can send them to you if you want to pay the postage. probably cheaper than me copying them. copying something like the plans is not cheap here in Canada. or I can lay the plan on the floor and take a picture of it for you to reference. the booklet I could scan, only the English part, and just email it to you.
    so I will leave the decision up to you.

don

Seehund Willy likes this post

Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:46 pm

I am more than happy to pay postage for the plans and the instructions.
    Let me know what the postage comes to.
    I can send you money through Paypal friends and family.
    Is $20 enough for the plans and instructions, plus the postage?
    I really appreciate this!
    Thanks!
    Bill
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:11 pm

only the postage, the plans and instruction booklet are yours free. I just need your address to find out the postage.

Don
    Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Thanks!
    My address is:
    William May
    10550 E. Breckinridge Drive
    Tucson, Arizona

Did you build one of the Krick versions of the U-25? How was it to sail?
    I understand it is a dynamic submarine, so it only stays submerged while at power. If you pull the power back, it surfaces. (Or if the batteries die or the motors quit)

I am very happy to pay you for the plans and instructions, plus the postage. I appreciate you even taking the time to respond. You could have ignored the posting, and just moved on to the next thing. So I would like to repay you for that!
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:18 am

I will be going to the post office tomorrow to see what the postage charges will be.
    I am also including a picture I took of my Krick submarineLooking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Pxl_2010
    Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Pxl_2011PXL_20210624_230626492.jpg PXL_20210624_230626492.jpg

david f and Seehund Willy like this post

Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:29 am

You did a beautiful job on it! It looks very nice! Have you ever sailed it, or is it just a display boat? In looking at it, it looks like the Krick version is the same as the Hegi version, with the exception of the built-up plank hull. My Hegi version has the pre-carved hull, and it looks like the deck molding will fit it very nicely.
    Thank you again for providing the plans and instructions! I really appreciate it!
    Bill

david f likes this post

Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:21 pm

I have not sailed it for awhile but when I did it worked well enough. I worked on 2 sealed lead acid batteries which helped give it weight to dive properly.
    Also I went to the post office today and found that the cost for postage would be $5.57 for regular postage and about $16.00 for postage with tracking. Crazy that it costs so much extra for the tracking.
    your choice.

david f likes this post

Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:28 am

Cheapest way is fine. Sorry you have to make 2 trips.
    How do I send you money?
    Do you have Paypal? If so, I will use their Friends and Family mode to send you the money.
    Bill

david f likes this post

Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:16 am

I will mail it on Monday. do not want to go outside as the temperature is in the high 90's and low 100's. Not even going sailing on Sunday like we usually do.
    if you want to use PayPal, my email is telusboats@gmail.com.

Don
    Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks very much! Money has been sent.
    Kind regards;
    Bill
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Bill, checked my email this morning and received a PayPal notice. Said there was $29.44 Canadian sent by you to me. Seems you sent to much as the mail cost was not that much even if you wanted tracking. did you make a mistake?

Don
    Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:22 pm

Dear Don;
    No there was no mistake. I sent a little extra because I appreciated that you reached out to me, and are doing all the work to get me the plans.
    Take your sweetie out for an ice cream. Or buy some extra sub paint.
    Thanks very much.
    We just finished 9 days in a row over 110 F. So I understand what you are saying about the heat. (I had a campfire going for awhile, and when I couldn't take the heat any longer, I would go out and stand in the fire to cool off.)
    The dogs here are all nervous, because the local trees have started following them around.
    Bill
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 pm

OK, went to the post office and the package is in the mail. asked for timeline and the agent said about a week but then added the warning that the USPS is having major problems and they have a backlog. so pleas let me know when it arrives. BTW, are you just building this sub or are you going to try and run it?
    Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:56 pm

Dear Don;
    I first saw this sub kit when I was about 8 years old, and I was entranced. Unfortunately, I think it cost about $30 at that time, and I had $1.25.
    Once I get the plans and instructions, I will have to consider which way I go. If it looks doable, I would like to actually sail it. even if only a few times. I think eventually it will wind up on my mantel, as a display item. But I want to make it as nice a model as I can. I think it could be sailed with very basic R/C and I think most of the radio and motor components are smaller today than they were when the kit first came out.
    It has been one of my favorite models over the years, and when I found a kit that had been barely started, and bought it, I was elated.
    My kit has most of the contents, I think, but the plastic propellers have blades damaged and broken off. I assume I will be changing them to brass, anyway.
    Also, I am a machinist and have my own shop, so I can fabricate anything I might be missing, as long as I have the drawings and instructions to guide me.
    Any advice or warnings based on your experience with the kit?
    Kind regards;
    Bill
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:05 am

Hello Bill,
    I meant to email you sooner but the heat here has us scrambling for shelter. You said you had 110 F, but here we use Celsius. On Tuesday or Wednesday, our temperature was 45.4 which puts us in your league. Plus the fact that we have had little moisture and the whole of the province of British Columbia I like a tinderbox.
    But on to the topic, the sub. the one big thing that I would tell you is to make sure the wood is really sealed. Unlike your kit, mine was made up of layers of preformed wood. I thought I had them sealed but after awhile I noticed that I was getting cracks in the hull. I stripped down the hull and made sure that there was no way water could penetrate the hull. after that no cracking. Knock on wood.
    The second thing that I changed was the location of the antenna. I had it inside but the reception was limited. Eventually I worked it so that I ha it out of the hull and into the conning tower. Much better.
    Thirdly, was the ballast. My kit came with a heavy rectangular steel bar which is added to the bottom. For power, I had 2 sealed lead acid batteries inside. Even though this was a lot of weight, I added some lead inside the hull to help it submerge. Without it, the bow would begin to go down and the stern would foam up the water. I found the trick with this boat was to build up a lot of speed and then begin diving.
    I believe that an article was written about it in and old model boat magazine. I will look in my boxes of magazine and see if I have it . if I do I will scan the article and send it to you.
    Dont forget to send me pictures of your build.

david f and Seehund Willy like this post

Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:20 am

I will send you pics after I make some progress. Once I have the paperwork, I will go through my kit and see what, if anything, is missing.
    I will incorporate your suggestions.
    I looked at my ballast bar, and it appears to be of lead, and quite heavy.
    I may cut some spaces inside the hull where I can add lead washers or lead blocks to it.
    I had thought about incorporating the antenna in the wire that runs from the net cutter to the conning tower, and then aft to the stern. I guess this would be the anti-submarine net anti-fouling wire.
    Yes, they have been reporting on the fires in Canada, particularly the one that burned Lytton. We expect the heat, but I have never heard of such temps in the northwest of the U.S. and in Canada. Especially bad since they say that there is little air-conditioning up by you folks.
    Bill

david f likes this post

Seehund Willy

Post  Seehund Willy Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Dear Don;
    Plans and instructions arrived in perfect condition! Thanks very much!
    Will try to dig out the kit this week, and do an inventory and see what I have and what is missing.
    Will post some pics as I make progress.
    The Krick version looks like it was much more difficult to build. My Hegi kit has the hull all precarved, and it just looks like it may need some sanding.
    I will make sure it is very well sealed.
    Plus I will only probably sail it a few times, just to watch it work, after waiting over 50 years to get one.
    If you ever need small parts machined for a project, just send me a drawing! I have a complete machine shop in my back yard, and I also have a foundry back there, and cast parts in aluminum, brass, and bronze
    Thanks again!
    Bill
    Telusboats

Post  Telusboats Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:25 am

Glad you received the package in good condition. I look forward to seeing the progress you make on this sub. BTW, I looked for the article on building the sub but could not find it. Keep in touch.

Don
    Telusboats

Looking for drawings and instructions for Hegi U-25 Kit Empty U25

Post  Telusboats Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:44 am

have not heard from you for quite some time. I was hoping to see the progress of your boat.

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 am