The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» UHF radio control for submarines (openLRS, LoRa, FSK etc. on 458Mhz and 433Mhz )
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptyToday at 9:05 am by david f

» David Forrest's R class
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Robbe Seawolf V2
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:15 am by geofrancis

» bladder bags
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» WW2 mini sub build
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptyWed May 22, 2024 8:10 am by david f

» Peral Submarine of 1888
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» U-Boat R/C?
"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? EmptySun May 19, 2024 11:02 am by stig58

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12477 messages in 1986 subjects

We have 1017 registered users

The newest registered user is Bazdiving

+3
rgj
Tom(ADMIN)
david f
7 posters

"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small?

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? Empty "Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small?

Post  david f Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:40 am

Anyone got any thoughts on making a simple but long Test Tank which can go out in the garden as a temporary or permanent feature? (The bath is not quite long enough)

(I know Brian A made a suspiciously deep garden pond but I am looking at something which is easier and maybe less permanent. My hobby is NOT garden ponds.)

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? Empty Re: "Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small?

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:51 am

Railway sleepers? Pick them up at garden centres for a few quid each. They are 8' 6" long, two of those on top of each other for the sides, cut another two in half for the ends, join together with either lengths of angle iron driven into the ground or metal L brackets across the corners, pond liner laid inside...and add water.

Oh...you'll need a chainsaw to cut the sleepers.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

"Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small? Empty Re: "Home" Test Tank - What if it is too small?

Post  david f Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:45 pm

That sounds like a good idea and maybe one side of the tank could be a wall?
    What material are pond liners?
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Depends on how tame your wallet moths are, David...

HERE

A piece of cheap plastic groundsheet works well if you can lay your hands on a piece? Know anybody who goes camping?

Don't forget to have a pump of some sort fitted so as you can drain it from time to time. A second hand central heating pump works very well, about a fiver from a tame plumber/central heating engineer. And also lay down a piece of an old carpet under the liner so as it doesn't get punctured by a stone or something.

rgj

Post  rgj Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi

Plastic ground sheet may not be UV stable & cause trouble in the medium term.

I would opt for a proper pond liner.

Also the carpet need to go up the sides of the pond/tank.

I would be cautious of putting it against a wall unless it is well below the damp course.

Ponds take very little maintenance - I have a big one in the garden, gets hoovered for mud every other year.Why not make it permanent? - few plants in pots can be removed for testing & the fish will hide. Actually might not be quite deep enough for fish.

The extra effort & cost involved will be relatively small.

ATB
    Rob

tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm

what size are you talking about david?
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Well about 5 feet long and about 1 foot wide and deep. (Note the "Imperial" units!)

I see your point about a damp proof course but I was intending to use a garden wall.

It could almost be a long thin raised bed with occasional insertion of a pond liner and water. (And it could be "sold" as a raised bed to her who is "indoors and outdoors"!) I think the water could be syphoned out easily, Richard.

We only have a small garden which would not really take a traditional shaped graden pond.

David

rgj

Post  rgj Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Miniature water lilies would go nicely..... pretty. I would go a bit deepersay 15-18" then less obvious what it is realy for.

ATB
    Rob
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 am

Hi David F

Go for a 8x4 sheet of shutter ply, some angel iron for the corners, a sheet of damp proff, some rope and water,
    have the ply cut to your size, fix the bly to the angel place the dpm in ply box, run the rope around the outside of your ply box to keep the sides in place, add water. you now have one test tank.

Fred
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 am

A swimming pool plastic liner is 20ml thick and can last several years. The liner can be glued together with vinyl liner glues and easy to work with. I use it for making custom jetted bathtub liners before tiling.
    Kind regards,
    Giovanni
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for that suggestion and all the suggestions.

I will go for some type of membrane in an enclosure. All of which can be removed and stashed away after "commissioning".(Which should please "her outdoors".)

I can't do any trials at the moment unless I want a miniature ice rink!
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:26 am

One more suggestion, David...a children's paddling pool, the inflatable ones?
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes John and Nigel have just suggested that too:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650921/Trail/searchtext%3EPOOL.htm

I would have to throw the mother and children out first!

Nigel suggests that you just leave it full during the sub season and then maybe just throw it all away when it is green and slimy. (Maybe retaining the mother and children?)

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm sure that there would be a H&S regulation regarding throwing mothers and children out, and the way things are going, the water authorities would probably want a word in your ear about throwing all that water away...
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

See this link post 279 http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33589.250

works well 6 foot long will also take kids and granny maybe at the same time from Argos all of £14.00 not supposed to use a compresor with it but I aint paying £25.00 for a pump that compreses the air first plenty deep enough as well you can fill past the fill mark because you aint putting bodies in it (are you David??)
    when finished with you just deflate and store until needed next time wife can then have the garden all to herself again

Regards Mark
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Just found the link to the cheaper one David http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3652709/Trail/searchtext%3EPADDLING+POOL.htm

do`s the job and the kids can use it as well.
    I think they ripped me off for £2.00 though.

Regards Mark
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Many thanks for the tip. I will get my order in now that spring is on the way.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Speedos at the ready?
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Stop that Richard got a mental picture now going to have nightmares ha ha ha
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Frightening, isn't it?
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Right then, a double order it is. Paddling pool + Speedos.

Just wait for the video!

David
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

now look what you have started Richard

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:32 am