The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» UHF radio control for submarines (openLRS, LoRa, FSK etc. on 458Mhz and 433Mhz )
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptyToday at 9:05 am by david f

» David Forrest's R class
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Robbe Seawolf V2
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:15 am by geofrancis

» bladder bags
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» WW2 mini sub build
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptyWed May 22, 2024 8:10 am by david f

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» U-Boat R/C?
Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen EmptySun May 19, 2024 11:02 am by stig58

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12477 messages in 1986 subjects

We have 1017 registered users

The newest registered user is Bazdiving

4 posters

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen

rouge2
    rouge2

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen Empty Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen

Post  rouge2 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Howdy!

Just joined the facebook group so thought i would say Hi here too!

My name is Simon, i live in nottingham and build a variety of models from Sci-Fi to basic motorised balsa boats ala Glynn Guest. After recently watching Crimson Tide and K19 in quick sucsession my appetite for building my first sub has been re-ignited!

As it's my first Sub i've decided to go ahead and build the HMS Unseen from the MMI Submarine special as it seems relatively simple, straightforward and inexpensive. I have one quick request:

has anyone here built this sub before? if so could you post some photos of your completed model? I'm looking for pics showing all the main angles as well as the internal components. I know there are a few in the mag but i'd just like a few larger pics to give me a better refrence.

Regards

Simon
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen Empty Re: Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Simon, glad to see you made it here...

Have a look on the AMS website (WEBSITE) there are some pics of Unseen on there, but just to start you off, here's a couple.

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen 25025810

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen 24830010

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen 31315_10

Unseen is a good place to start with a sub, but whatever you do, don't forget to seal that balsa wood!!

Richard
    rouge2
    rouge2

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen Empty Re: Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen

Post  rouge2 Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 am

Cheers Richard, thats most helpful. Can i just ask a couple of questions?

1)did you use balsa for your Unseen or lite ply as sugested in the plans?

2)For sealing the boat, would a few coats of varnish followed by a couple of coats of spray paint be eonough or would you recomend something like an Epoxy or Dope?

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

I've never built Unseen, Simon...but the build instructions specify using tissue/dope, well rubbed down between coats, then filler primer...again, well rubbed down between coats, then primer and final paint.

Many years back I did build a couple of balsa submersibles, both sealed with tissue/dope, and they lasted for ages...it's a smelly process, but worth doing.

Richard
    rouge2
    rouge2

Post  rouge2 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:38 am

Sorry about the confusion, as you posted the pics i thought it was your model (doh!) I didn't know that tissue and dope were used on boat hulls, I've only ever heard of it being used on aircraft (learn somthing new every day)

The instructions in the mag just say to use whatever sealing method you prefer, Epoxy, Varnish, dope or domestic primer. Just wondered if any method was better than the other.

Any idea who built the Unseen in the pics on your website?

Thank's again for your patience

Simon
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Tissue/dope is a good way of sealing wood, Simon...ask Glynn Guest!

The Unseen in the pics was made by...young Michael ???? Someone on here will know his surname!

Richard
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Rouge 2
    And welcome to the Mad House, sorry the AMS Forum,
    This is a good way to get into model Sub's as if and when you do make a mistake you can cut a new part, some thing you can not do all the time with a kit, so good luck with "Unseen".

Also please do remember that if you have a problem just ask, as some one here my have had the same problem and can pass on the answer.

Have Fun

Fred

Keep you feet dry
    rouge2
    rouge2

Post  rouge2 Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Thank's to both Richard and Fred for the warm welcome!

I'm going to be collecting my materials for Unseen over the next couple of weeks. Most of the construction seems reasonably straight forward (famous last words) but I'm sure i'll be firing a few questions your way soon!

Just a final couple of final questions, promise they will be last for a couple of weeks :)

1) I'm not overly confident about the tissue/dope option for seeling the hull as i've never done it before. would several coats of a 50/50 dope thinner mix applied straight to the wood (I'm intending to use Lite-Ply) followed by a couple of coats of gloss paint be a sufficient alternative?

2) do you know of any sub groups who sail in the nottingham area?

Cheers
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I would imagine if you're using liteply, you'd may be better with a couple of coats of a good primer, well rubbed down between coats, then a couple of coats of your chosen top coat. Gloss paint will be tougher than a matt or a silk finish anyway, then finish off with a couple of coats of a silk varnish...if that doesn't seal it, nothing will!

I'm not sure about sub groups in the Nottingham area, but we do have at least one member who lives that way, his name is Roy Palmer, he sails a huge great Typhoon. I'll let him know you'll be about soon, and get him to message you on here.

Rich
    roy924
    roy924

Hi from a newbie and request re HMS Unseen Empty places to sail..

Post  roy924 Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Simon i as Richard said have a Typhoon sub, which I sail at Paaplewick pumping station, will be there tomorrow morning...with Typhoon

http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk/

the waters not very clear but its a lovely setting and the guys there are really nee, theres another sub there scratch built..

hope that helps, theres also a club meet at highfleds lake on sundays and another one i have been to at knigmill resevor

Roy

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:35 pm