The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» David Forrest's R class
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Robbe Seawolf V2
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:15 am by geofrancis

» bladder bags
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» WW2 mini sub build
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptyWed May 22, 2024 8:10 am by david f

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» U-Boat R/C?
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptySun May 19, 2024 11:02 am by stig58

» Cheap Arduino Auto leveler
Hello A Few Starter Questions EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm by 17b

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12476 messages in 1986 subjects

We have 1017 registered users

The newest registered user is Bazdiving

Similar topics

5 posters

Hello A Few Starter Questions

Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Hello A Few Starter Questions Empty Hello A Few Starter Questions

Post  Mr2Rich Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Hello Just thought I would ask a few questions if I may .As this seems to be the best place to ask. A bit of back ground info first. My brother bought he daughter a R/C boat for Christmas and I want to tag along so I decided to get a little prezzy for my self, A R/C submarine from ebay a £50 seawolf plug and play one. I have been a few times to the local boat lake to be honest my little sub was out of it depth. I have decided I would like to go further with the R/C submarine but I am a little stuck were to go next. I have looked online and seen a few subs that I thought were nice but I wasn’t sure if they were beyond me and thought I would ask for your advice

Is it better to buy a kit with the diving system with it? Is it cost affective and performance wise not that great? Or shall I build the kit up as in buy a shell then fill it with the items needed?

Could you give me a few options that you feel is good as a starter/learner in the R/C world?

Thanks for reading Rich
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Hello A Few Starter Questions Empty Re: Hello A Few Starter Questions

Post  david f Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Where abouts do you come from,Rich?
    (Just thinking about meetings, clubs for you etc.)
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

I live S.E London With in the M25 As for advents I would need to build one first....But I do travel far to scuba dive in the uk so as long as I am free that day I wouldnt see why not.
    Rich
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 pm

H.i,Rich
    For your first submarine I would think you might be best to buy a full kit including the dive module,I would suggest something from sheerline as they are a well proven boat and work very well,these often come up for sale on e-bay if you prefer a ready built boat but in all fairness they are not a difficult build and are a good introduction to aquiring the skills needed to build a boat from scratch if you have ambitions to progress to that stage,there is a link on this site to sheerline.
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi again
    have just checked there is a link to sheerline,it is under model manufacturers,
    regards Nigele.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

It would be a good idea to see some subs in action.
    You might try the "Dive-Ins" at Brockwell Park Lido or St Albans. They are organised by private individuals(not the AMS) and have an entrance fee but they must be fairly near to you.
    If you want more AMS involvement, more of a public show and more boat modellers try Merstham or Alfold. (Free to AMS members)
    If you want to see a lot of model submarines try the Norwich Model Boat Club sub day. It is a one day show but in the past has had the biggest turnout.
    I am not sure about Model Boat Clubs in your area. Ideally you want one where there are some active model submariners. Any one any ideas??
    As far as which model submarine to go for a common approach is to go for say a second hand Sheerline but me, I build from scratch and lots still do but it is more difficult.
    Have you read the intro on our Website?
    (I see that Nigel has added a message while I was composing this. He is our Chairman and MUST BE OBEYED! Actually he seems to like Sheerline too!)
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Rich,

I'd endorse what the guys have said already, a Sheerline kit is as good as it gets for a first time build. They come complete down to the battery, dive module, all linkages pre made for you, all you really have to do is screw/glue it together, drill a few holes, add your radio and get it wet.

Chris Cloke, who is Mr Sheerline, is known for helpfulness and is always willing to offer advice and/or assistance should you get stuck. His kits start around the £500 mark and go all the way up to over £700...but remember, although the prices seem high, you are getting a whole lot of sub for your money. Add a secondhand 40Mhz radio for around £60 and you are good to go after a long weekend's work.

You can buy a hull kit for far less, and make your own water tight cylinder, but for a first build, I'd go Sheerline.

Good luck, and keep us all informed.

Richard.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 pm

I forgot to add Rich, if you can get to the Brighton Modelworld show next month (14/15) some of the lads will be there with a few boats, come along and have a chat, ask questions, see a few different submarines and then decide from there. You'd be more than welcome Rich, and it's a good show as well.

Going back to Sheerline boats, Mark (The Grim Reaper) has a log of his Sheerline Akula build on here, it makes for very interesting reading. See here.. AKULA build log
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for the reply guys, I have been looking on the web for a few weeks now to try and find my first and I have came up with a couple of subs I like and that arnt to expensive as I dont want to get in to it to far with out making 100% happy I want to persue the hobbie

I was looking at a Robbe Seawolf V1RC ( the older version but I like the lines more than V2)But it stats that I need Battery, Charger, Speed controller and Radio equipment etc to complete this model. I have no idear really what the price or units I need to complete the kit ( a rough price if you know be handy )

My second option was RC MODEL-RED SHARK as It looks simple but I would need to buy the , power and drive unit to complete and for a quick look on the net these items do not seem cheep £500+

What you lhink is the best option?
    Cheers Rich

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

You've selected chalk and cheese there Rich!

The SeaWolf is fairly good sub, but can be the devil's own job to assemble, mine drove me mad. The cylinder is fairly good, but the outside covers were a real pain to get them to go together any sense. And you still need to buy a radio...

The Ark Models Red Shark is a totally different kettle of fish, it's a nice kit to build, but can be expensive what with import charges and carriage added on. And you still need to buy a radio...

For a good cheaper alternative there's the MMB Los Angeles kit, which is a hull/deck/sail for around £150ish, but you'll need to assemble your own cylinder...work on around another couple of hundred pounds or so.

Again as an alternative, you could buy a second hand complete sub, there's usually two or three on ebay (just be careful not to buy a heap of junk though)

Another way is convert a plastic kit such as the Revell Gato, Trumpeter Seawold or Kilo, etc. This is a favourite of mine, I have a Kilo under construction now, and just finished a Seawolf (search round on here for articles under the USS Dragonfish) These kits are cheap, typically under £40, to that you'll need to add the cost of a cylinder and of course, you'll need to buy the electronics and a radio.

Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 pm

I have sent a email to http://www.hola-toys.com/ who stock the red dragon and the dragon shark kits they have free delivery to europe. As for the import charges it is hit and miss to be fair I have bought may items from japan and shipped them over with no charge ( my seawolf sub for example )

On their web site it comes with its on dive system so only a few eletric componts to complete the kit so I have sent them a email and asked for a price and Go from their I think.

Rich
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:19 am

thats a lot of money for a piece of ABS,very dificult to repair if it ever gets damaged give me GRP any day three times stronger a a hundred times easyer to repair.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 am

Rich, have you thought about building from a plan? There a several very easy to build plans about..a few bits of balsa and ply, well sealed with resin, basic three channel radio and a buggy battery pack and you can have a well performing, dynamic diving boat for less than £20's worth of materials and a weekend's work.

That could be an easy and cheap way to get you started, then think about moving onwards and upwards when you've had some practice sailing a sub.

There's a Type V11 plan, a British O class plan, one or two research sub plans, all of them very easy to build. No complex water tight cylinders needed as you build a radio box in as you go. Pic below is of HMS Unseen, a free plan in a magazine last year.

Hello A Few Starter Questions 31315_10

Hello A Few Starter Questions 60338_10

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am

Last edited by Poolruns on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar dear boy, grammar.)
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 pm

One way or another you've got a very good answer in this thread, Rich.
    You pays your money and.......!
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for all the info people.

I have been in contact with Arkmodels directly as they seem very over priced on hola-toys web site. I was quoted For the kit, reverse switch, and the EMC $345 dollars delivered ( £215 sterling )And only a few items to get after. As for the kit I am impressed and I would like to do a scratch build kit form to learn and understand. If I do need any help I do have a few people I know to help me out and it comes with a dvd to help aid you with the build and many build threads on the net also. I have looked at all of the suggested makers/models you guys have suggested and some are WOW things of pure beauty. ( the ones I want are well over my buget lol) As for my first sub I think this would be a good place to start, even thou I will be diving in the deep end ( sorry about the pun )

As for it strength I think it should be fine as I dont plan to go war ( In this video it seems very strong as they put it together)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoeCVlr9kjk

As for finding ideal water to use I also have a home in Rye and they have old unused stone quarries and small lakes, as for when I am closer to work I would use Swanley Boating lake that holds a few events A year.My brother goes a few times a year and I think I will be joining him this year

I will keep you informed
    Rich

Last edited by Mr2Rich on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : (corrected link to you tube video))
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Rich, I think you'll enjoy building the Red Shark, it is a good boat, easy to assemble and very user friendly. I think I'm right in saying that there is a whole host of add on's available, including a periscope raising/lowering kit and operating torpedoes to mention but a couple.
    The bayonet connection is a good idea, and makes the boat easy to get to assemble and disassemble.

Careful of those gravel pits out near Rye..some of those are extremely deep!!

Good luck with your build mate, keep us all posted of progress.
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks Rich for the comments.I disabled the utube link from auto play as it is annoying. Think I wil order it Monday I am quiet excited to be honest and for the addons you can get.

TorpedoCAB provide ability to launch torpedoes.

Torpedo powered micro-motor launched by torpedocab,this boat need 6 sets.

Mast elevation system control the periscope and radar elevation.

Bollard elevation system control the bollards elevation.

X Rudder IC Mixer control 4 X rudder working together,if you use a channel-mix function RC,this is not essential.

Light equipment show navigate and cabin lights.

LCD TV supply high-resolution alive video from underwater camera.

Failsafe can protect you boat without signal can automatism float.when lost signal,pump will work Automaticly,ballast water will pump to outside.

Pitch control keep keel angle horizontal in the water.

Depth control keep boat depth unchange,you can keel you boat in periscope deep whole day.

Underwater camera

Think this might be a long build as I do want a few of the extras aswell (failsafe for sure)I really not sure on the camera idear but the Torpedo idear I am liking

But I cant seem to find much on the web about these addons and the fittings ect?

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Have you had a look round www.subpirates.com or www.subcommittee.com ...there's normally everything on either of those two sites. Another one worth checking out is www.rcgroups.com

I've never seen any of Ark Models boats yet, I do like the look of that Chinese 'Song' Class they do though, looks a very interesting boat to build.
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

had a quick look but both then main sites you need to pay a subcription.. pain really for a quick search O well just have to hunt thou the web a bit till I find some stuff. Found this like Looks like a nice walk thou

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917946&highlight=cmpang

Enjoy cant wait

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 am

Last edited by Poolruns on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi guys another question for you if I may, I have been looking at transmitters/hand sets. I am a bit lost and unsure on what I need,
    ie frequency and channels needed?

Could you give me some ideas please

Thanks Rich
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 pm

For a sub you need either a 40Mhz or a 27Mhz radio, 2.4Ghz doesn't work underwater.

Radio choice is purely a personal thing I always think, find an outfit you like and stick to it. I have an HiTec Optic 6 40Mhz outfit, I've got used to it now and like it. Some people favour Robbe, some like Futaba, the choice is yours. Go for a six channel set, you may not need all the channels first time round, but as you progress you'll need an extra channel one day. I also have a four channel Ace outfit which is a good workhorse, but doesn't have an onboard computer...not essential, but useful.

If you can find one, the old 27Mhz Futaba M series are an excellent radio for submarines...no luxuries such as servo reversing though, but a really good radio.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Last edited by Poolruns on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mr2Rich
    Mr2Rich

Post  Mr2Rich Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi and thanks for the info Poolruns I have been looking at this set from Sussex model shop.The kit from Sussex models comes with 4 servos and receive, are these no good?

As for the leveller you have suggested, not sure one you mean?

3 Position ballast servo control http://www.microgyros.com/servo_ballast.html

dive manager http://www.microgyros.com/dive_manager.html

spc-pro2 pitch control

The other 2 items are know discontinued know,

Thanks for All the help people many thanks
    Rich