The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Open letter to Members EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Open letter to Members EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Open letter to Members EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Open letter to Members EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Open letter to Members EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Open letter to Members EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Open letter to Members EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Open letter to Members EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Open letter to Members EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

+2
Crossie
Deep Diver (Fred)
6 posters

Open letter to Members

Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Open letter to Members Empty Open letter to Members

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Good day to you All

We have now come to that time of the year, were we start to receive invites to shows.

It has been put forward that for some of us we have to look at the cost of fuel and may be the cost of a hotel before we can attend a show, so I will ask if the show organisers can help out with some of the out of pocket expenses they we could incur to attend there show.

Now if they refuse to help do we just sit back and say to hell with them, or do we just say well we gave it a try and attend the show.

PLEASE do let me know just how you feel on this as I do need to know ASAP my email address is in the club mag.

Keep your feet dry

Fred Ellis
    Crossie
    AMS member

Open letter to Members Empty Re: Open letter to Members

Post  Crossie Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Good Morning Fred,
    Surely it cannot be right to expect anyone else to pay us to indulge in this or any other hobby. There are very many pleasure activities infinitely more expensive than this one where the participants enjoy showing off their skills and abilities purely for the pleasure of doing so and maybe even encouraging others to get interested, new entrants are the lifeblood of any activity. If fuel and the cost of a weekend away is too much for anyone and cannot be 'saved up' for,or sacrifices cannot be made elsewhere within their annual buget of living, then I would feel that they need to 'downsize' their hobby. It will not be the show organisers who actually pay for the suggested 'donation' but ultimately the public who pay their entrance fee to see the club show! As the well known sying puts it " there ain't no such thing as a free lunch". Lest anyone think that I'm a fat cat rolling in dosh, I am a retired self employed person and go without much that others consider'essential' to enjoy building and operating various models, i cannot envisage want someone else to defray my costs anymore than supporting another's drinking or smoking habits,
    Regards,
    Trevor
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Crossie

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry to say I do not know if you are a member of the AMS, not that it matters to me, as we are all one in this hobby.

In my personal opinion I to think that any cost that I incur I should cover, but we do have some members that are on a limited income, also as the membership covers all of the U.K and not a local area, we must see if we can get any help to wards there costings.
    I look forward to meeting up with your self at any of the show that we are invite to.
    Fred
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Fred
    i dont mind covering the cost of going to shows i used to love taking my planes to shows and i would travel 300 mile round trips to woodsprings e show my problem is time as i have a young family and my wife works saturdays(i have not made it to a model show in 5 years)
    i would like to pencil in on my calander Alford as this is not far my question is what insurance is needed.

take care geof
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi Gents,
    Firstly I would like to point out that shows tend to fall into two types,firstly there are the charity shows such as Alfold and Merstam the AMS has allways supported these events free of any charge and the members have bourne the cost's from there own pocketts,but I would point out that some of the members travel hundreds of miles to do this,three of the members who attended Alfold last year clocked up over 1,000 miles each that is without hotels food,as was previously stated they need to budget for it and I would agree,and they do,but thats there budgett gone in one go.
    The second type of show is a commercial event,these are run for the soul purposse of making money for the organisers,they ask the AMS to attend there event,often after the members have allready Budgetted for the shows they are going to attend that season,so I feel that given they are running a show for their proffit off the back of the skills and generosity of our members that is only fair that they should help with our members expensess.
    I would point out that not all commecial show organiser treat members in such an off hand manner,Brighton model exibition has allways helped AMS members with fuel and hotel costs,as has the Submus at Gosport but sadley they are in the minority.
    Nigel.
    Crossie
    AMS member

Post  Crossie Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Nigel & Fred,
    Thank you Nigel for your comprehensive explanation which shows me that I have slightly misunderstood Fred's initial post and for that Fred, my apologies. Where the event is a purely commercial enterprise and the AMS member is invited to demonstrate their/his[or her's !] boats then they are in effect a 'performer' to entertain the public and thus ultimately benefit the promoter, and in such a case it is not unreasonable that as a minimum the promoter/organiser should offer some support at least for those who need it. In the case of Charity events or local boat club shows where the event is to raise funds for a good cause or club funds I personally would not expect any sort of recompense for attending, if it was too far away or too dificult to get affordable accomodation I would not go. As a recent new member of the the AMS I have not yet attended a submarine event but am building my boat as quickly as possible and hope to be able to get it along to an event somewhere this summer,
    Regards,
    Trevor
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 am

Back in the eighties, we would be at a show or a regatta practically every weekend, running about all over the country...Derby, Birmingham, London, Essex, Sussex, Bristol to name but a few. Petrol was cheaper then, and we were all a lot younger and a lot healthier..two or three nights sleeping in the car or sharing a tent was common place then.

Nowadays, most of us have to budget carefully to attend one or two big shows, and sleeping in the car is out...we all need a motel to bed down in, and to accommodate the mountain of medication we need to survive.

Take our travelling show reporter Ian, for instance...he lives in darkest Lancashire, and somehow manages to attend practically every sub meeting across the country in order to do his show reports in the magazine. He is a working man and drives a smallish car, his mileage yearly is astronomical, his fuel and hotel bills are frightening, yet so far he has managed to do all this out of his own pocket. If we can recompense him even a fraction of his costs, that would help him out no end.

This is just one instance of why our members need some form of financial assistance in order to promote the AMS countrywide and to be able to continue to attend shows up and down the country.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 am

I think you paint a rather too gloomy picture, Richard!

I don't mind going to 3 or 4 shows a year some of them a long way from "darkest" Cumbria. I think Ian O would say the same thing if he was on here.

And Nigel sums it every well - we only expect expenses when a show is for commercial gain (i.e not Charity etc.) Even then we only request a contribution to expenses. (That was the situation at the last visit to the RN Submarine Museum 3 or 4 years ago. I seem to recall about £60 each - it helped towards petrol and was an enjoyable event anyway.)

It is good to see that you are planning some shows this year, Trevor. From your location, Norwich, Haydock Park and maybe even Barrow in Furness or Edinburgh could be on your list.

See you soon,

David

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 pm