The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyToday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Uzushio submarine possibility EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

4 posters

Uzushio submarine possibility

Simon 007
    Simon 007

Uzushio submarine possibility Empty Uzushio submarine possibility

Post  Simon 007 Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 pm

It occured to me today that it might be possible to semi scratch build a Japanese Uzushio submarine from the black version of the MMB sub sonic diver kit, available on Ebay. The shape of the hull seems virtually identical to the prototype and any subtle shape differences could be added/removed with wet and dry paper. A scratch built sail and additional rear fins could be added. The sail could be attached over the raised bump on the hull. Surface detail could be scribed in and the flat upper deck could be filed to shape. What do people think? My only concern are the front dive planes on the model which obviously aren't on the prototype! Could the model sub still dive without these (as a dynamic diver)? If all of this was possible one could have a near scale working modern sub for a very cheap price. It is very tempting as an idea and would be a great beginners project with opportunities for weathering, etc.

Cheers
    Simon
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Uzushio submarine possibility Empty Re: Uzushio submarine possibility

Post  david f Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Simon,

Looks like a good idea. I have had a very quick look at Google images and the full size sub has a flat deck. You may find you have to make lots of mods to the upper hull - so remake it? Without wishing to reopen old wounds - we felt that the hull fit (gap?) could have been better so recasting the top half may be an idea. Keep it light. Rear vanes will probably work. The grp hull makes modication easier than, say, plastic.

I've seen the sub in action at Alfold (there is some video of it on here somewhere (Alfold show?))and it was a very lively, fun dynamic diver. The propulsion system seemed good.

Yes, first impressions , go for it!

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:39 am

Here's another possibility for a conversion?

Uzushio submarine possibility Zss_ms10

Uzushio submarine possibility Delphi10
    Simon 007
    Simon 007

Post  Simon 007 Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 am

Many thanks David and Richard for your comments and the plans; much appreciated. As I'm sure you have felt in the past, my problem is wanting something that I can't afford, and even if I could I haven't any previous building experience with subs and so the larger more complex models would probably fox me. I've spent so long asking numerous rc submarine folk on various forums so many questions that I'm sure they just switch off when they see my name! I just can't decide what route is best for me; I know exactly the type of submarine I want (the ideal one would have been the Small World Models Blueback in 1/96 scale... if I'd been wealthy) but these are generally restricted to the bigger and very expensive model kits. The Trumpeter Seawolf is the only "large" scale modern US sub that is affordable but I wish it had the correct shaped bow because the real thing is a rather nice chunky looking sub! Richard, you mentioned modifying the Seawolf to other types of submarine but looking at its width, it is far too wide for something like a Sturgeon or Permit (around 10 feet more) for example. It could be a freelance design of course having a sail with dive planes (as I want) but having spent too many years building accurate railway models I just couldn't live with a fictitious model. I did once see a very nicely made freelance submarine, using the Seawolf, with a Sturgeon look, on sale on US Ebay and I was sorely tempted but I just couldn't commit myself! If only some of the excellent 1/350 scale subs were in a slightly larger scale; these would then be ideal for rc conversion to dynamic diving. The Dragon kits 1/350 Ohio is just about big enough to get the rc stuff in and I've seen two of these converted, but without any details given.

Oh dear!
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Hows about a 1/144th scale Trumpeter Kilo, then? I've done one of these, quite easy to convert to a dynamic dive boat, can be converted to a full static dive system, and very scale looking, plus there's plenty of prototypes to choose from...Russian, Indian, etc. When converted they make a nice handy sized model, ideal for popping out for a half hour's sailing.
    Simon 007
    Simon 007

Post  Simon 007 Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 pm

This is absolutely true Richard, but it's not the type of sub I'm after, sadly. For me, it's not just owning an rc submarine that's important, it's having one that's the right looking one. I'm sorry that I'm sounding difficult! How easy would it be to alter the nose cone on the Trumpeter Seawolf to the more bulbous aspect of the real thing? The existing one just looks all wrong to me.

Cheers
    Simon
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Actually, it's not that far out of true...a spot of plastic filler here and there and a spot of rubbing down would soon cure any faults.

This is one reason why I like building Concept boats, there's nobody to tell you've got something wrong, or put something in the wrong place, when the boat never even left the drawing board. Hence the USS Dragonfish...

Uzushio submarine possibility P0807111
    Simon 007
    Simon 007

Post  Simon 007 Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm

It's a cracking looking model you've made Richard; very nicely done!
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 pm

all of rich's subs are spot on simon , i've seen them 1st hand

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm