The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» UHF radio control for submarines (openLRS, LoRa, FSK etc. on 458Mhz and 433Mhz )
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptyToday at 9:05 am by david f

» David Forrest's R class
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Robbe Seawolf V2
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:15 am by geofrancis

» bladder bags
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» WW2 mini sub build
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptyWed May 22, 2024 8:10 am by david f

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» U-Boat R/C?
Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC EmptySun May 19, 2024 11:02 am by stig58

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12477 messages in 1986 subjects

We have 1017 registered users

The newest registered user is Bazdiving

2 posters

Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC Empty Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC

Post  david f Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 pm

I was puzzled with my twin propped U Class (ORP Dzik). One motor kept on shutting down after a few minutes.

On investigation, I realised that I had stupidly forgotten to do the necessary modification to one of the ESCs. You need to do this when you use them with a separate BEC.

You need to remember to cut the red wire (AAAgh not the blue one - BOOM! (Sorry!) on the lead to the receiver.

And then it is best to cut off the switch and solder both leads together.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC Empty Re: Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Been there and done that David...all that magic smoke escaping from the wtc...memories.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC Empty Re: Mtronik speed controllers with separate BEC

Post  david f Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 am

Just a further observation on this.

I've found the same problem running a single Mtronik ESC with the internal BEC on the Russian Nordenfelt. The speed controller shuts down after several minutes - needing a rescue (Thanks Dave J!)

Running it flat out in a tank produced the same result. It seems that the ESC gets hot and shuts off.

I conclude that the BEC in the Mtronik is not really "man enough" for running several servos and with a 12 volt supply.

Replacing it with trusty Microgyros one (even though that was the one that got wet in swimming pool for the BBC filming) - no problem in the tank.

Presumably (as others have said) a more generously specified BEC on the Microgyros.

I will try it in the Barrow pond on Sunday.

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 am

Well the Microgyros one did the trick at the Barrow pond yesterday. The Russian Nordenfelt  zoomed around for 20 minutes without any overheating problems.

So the current state of play seems to be:

- Using the Mtronik BEC you may have overheating problems on 12v. Microgyros seems much better.
    (I have put a separate BEC based on the LM2940 linear chip (as per Nigel's post of some time ago) in the Type XXI and this seems to work nicely, without the interference problems that I used to get when using the switched mode BEC. So more efficiency can give more interference!)

David

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:54 am