The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Mast mounted water level sensor.  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

3 posters

Mast mounted water level sensor.

redboat219
    redboat219

Mast mounted water level sensor.  Empty Mast mounted water level sensor.

Post  redboat219 Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:26 am

This is for those electronically gifted individuals out there. Unfortunately I'm not one so I have no idea how to built one.

Was thinking of mounting one of these water level sensors on one of the mast of a sub to control depth while running at PD.

https://youtu.be/RaNUZTmfefc
    geofrancis

Mast mounted water level sensor.  Empty Re: Mast mounted water level sensor.

Post  geofrancis Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:04 pm

redboat219 wrote:This is for those electronically gifted individuals out there. Unfortunately I'm not one so I have no idea how to built one.

Was thinking of mounting one of these water level sensors on one of the mast  of a sub to control depth while running at PD.

https://youtu.be/RaNUZTmfefc

thats pretty easy to make work, just delete the lcd references and change them to write a servo pwm value to a pin instead.
    geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:04 pm

After some thinking, you wouldn't really need any code to make this work

If you took the 2 stainless steel probes from a soil moisture sensor and mounted them on the mast sticking up then the resistance between them would drop as the sub got deeper into the water. so if you took that 5v, signal and ground wires from the sensor board and then connected it to a servo tester where the potentiometer was attached to convert that analogue signal into a servo signal. now you have a servo that will change depending on how deep it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402981574052

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124871074913

this should work with a ballast tank system too, in theory it could trim its self so only a small section of the stainless probes are out of the water.

redboat219 likes this post

redboat219
    redboat219

Post  redboat219 Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:15 am

Should be easy diguising those probes into masts.

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:44 pm

redboat219 wrote:Should be easy diguising those probes into masts.

I would build some kind of test rig first before integrating something like this into a sub, I have never tested any of these components in this configuration.
    SimonH

Post  SimonH Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 pm

I think it might be a bit tricky to get working, as understand it the soil moisture meters do indeed work by measuring the resistance, but this is based on the quantity of water in the soil, based on a low percentage, i.e mostly soil. I remember as a youngster there were oftern DIY water level detectors in the electronics mags based on the same idea, but they were all yes/no so gave an alarm if the probes got covered in water. The difference in resistance between just under and say 10cm is probably less than the change in resitance due to the type of water (ie. pure distilled water is not that good a conductor, saltwater is, chlorinated is different again, a 'wild' pond probably depends on the polutants), so the end result would probably more like the old bang-bang controllers.
    Depending on the gap between the probes and base material you might also find that enough water remains on the surface once wet to trigger the sensor, so the boat might still be convinced its under water when its started flying! (wouldn't that be the ultimate flying boat?!)
    I think to be a stable depth you would have to factor in the boats speed, as that would probably vary the speed at which it responds to any change in the 'planes, unless its done via the ballast tank which might be too slow.
    It might be worth looking at spares for washing machines/dish washers since they often have sensors to detect a few cm of water, probably based on water pressure. There is usualy some part of their cycle that adds a small amount of water to the machine that is then squirted round whatever is being washed, but the accuracy of depth keeping is still very tight and you'd pobably need to keep control of pitch as well.

Another idea could be to have a float inside a periscope/snort attached to a rod that is then sensed. One linear sensor is a LVDT (linear voltage distance transducer) These work on a moveable magnetic core being moved between three fixed coils arranged in-line with the centre coil energised by an ac signal. as the core moves from its central position the ac signal induced in the end coils changes, one goes up as the core get nearer and couples more signal into it whilst the other reduces. The ratio of the signal in the two end coils thus gives the position. A bit more than basic electronics and not sure if you could buy one cheap enough,  but have the advantage of being able to be water proof & friction free. Many years ago I made a very crude one by wrapping the coils on a biro tube with the core sliding up and down inside, but I no longer have the details. I was trying to make a gyro-compass from an old ex-WD gun-laying gyroscope from the local army surplus depot!
    If you google you might find some circuits & ideas for LVDT, e.g. https://www.te.com/usa-en/industries/sensor-solutions/insights/lvdt-tutorial.html

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 am

A better way of doing it would be to connect the sensor to the ADC port on a telemetry receiver like a frsky D8R or openlrs-ng so its data sent back to the transmitter that way you have some way of easily programming curves and offsets to dial in its behaviour on a radio running opentx then send an rc channel back to the dive control system.

It wouldn't be hard to calibrate it, just push it under to get readings, let it float back up and take some more readings. thats your end points.

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am