The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For further details of any free events shown here also see the "Shows and Events" section on the forum

*2021 AND SOME EVENTS ARE BEING PROPOSED. Keep them coming and let us know the details! (amstreasure@googlemail.com)

;
;:;

Model Sub Weekend, 28th, 29th August. Bluewater Parkway, Greenhithe, DA9 9

Bournville Sub Day. Sept 2021 is looking likely. More details TBA.

Barrow in Furness Regatta and Sub day. Maybe in Sept 2021. Details TBA.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 11388 messages in 1874 subjects

We have 926 registered users

The newest registered user is Seehund Willy

WW2 mini sub build

SimonH

WW2 mini sub build Empty WW2 mini sub build

Post  SimonH Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:06 pm

After some preliminary design & build I thought I'd share the fun(!)
    I've always been interested in submarines and even though about building a human sized version, but probably best I didn't my boatbuilduing skills are not that good in plywood.....
    However, as covid lock-down struck in 2020 I was was made redundant so decided to see what I could do with the CAD package FreeCAD, and based on photos & other drawings from the internet I generated some reasonable representations of Seehund & X-class as both appeal to me as models. I find the modern subs a bit anonymous, a bit like steam trains vs. diesel, possibly contentious but thats my preference. I then realised I had designed as full size so had to repeat a lot of the work to scale them down to about 1m, based on 110mm drain pipe fro the centre sections.
    WW2 mini sub build X-clas10

and

WW2 mini sub build Seehun10

Neither will be museum standard, I subscribe to the 'measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe' philosophy, but I aim to give areasonable likeness.

Starting from scratch, I have no box of bits to raid, so the first task was a workable radio control system, bothered me less than mechanical stuff as I work in electronics. So the autumn to spring '21 was getting the 458MHz system going, with less time available now as I am back at work. I'm not going to add much on that as most is on the UHF radio control forum. For interest I use the EagleCAD package for electronics & PCB design as it is also free up to about 100mm x 100mm or so.

Current plan is a peristaltic pump & bladder type system having discounted the idea of using a bicycle CO2 system as too risky and dangerous for a 1st model, but I decided I would build the inards up bit by bit and see how long a WTC I needed, based on a 75mm dia tube.
    Since I don't have a 3d printer the end caps are probably going to be cast resin based on a simple wooden master and all fitted into an outer hull made from 110mm drain pipe with fibreglass end sections. I don't want to go to the effort of making a complete mould for the fibreglass so I'm thinking of moulding over foam that I can then cut away rather than trying to disolve in acetone or similar solvent.
    The Seehund appeals as it has the lower tube to the pressure hull that I might use to hold the batteries to keep them central as they may be a major weight.

After help from the brushless motor forum I have gone for the G2 Hydra15 system and now have the basic motor and gearbox with a 9:1 reduction using timing belts.

WW2 mini sub build Dsc02715

I shall probably re-make a lot of it, but the basic setup seems OK.
    I have found that freecad is difficult to cut & bash metal from, so I use SolidEdge a free 2D drawing package to create traditional style drawings of the various peice-parts.
    Fortunately I have had for many years a myford ML10 lathe so boring the brass bolts for the shafts & layshaft ball-races is fairly straight forward.

Current task is the brackets that hold the servos & routing the control rods past the motor & belt drive pulleys. Again made from aluminium sheet which can bolt onto the fwd end of the moter/gearbox assy.
    In front of that I intend to switch to perspex for the support of the ESC and PWM servo board.
    But that will be another post.

david f and subkraft like this post

Current date/time is Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 pm