The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» David Forrest's R class
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Robbe Seawolf V2
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:15 am by geofrancis

» bladder bags
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» WW2 mini sub build
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptyWed May 22, 2024 8:10 am by david f

» Peral Submarine of 1888
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» U-Boat R/C?
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptySun May 19, 2024 11:02 am by stig58

» Cheap Arduino Auto leveler
 X craft build - Page 5 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm by 17b

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12476 messages in 1986 subjects

We have 1017 registered users

The newest registered user is Bazdiving

Similar topics

+3
profesorul
tattooed
Tom(ADMIN)
7 posters

X craft build

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

X craft build - Page 5 Empty Re: X craft build

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 am

The 1mm screws will be going in the deck hatches, George...probably a silly idea, I'm having trouble seeing the things, they are that small!

Didn't do much worth photographing yesterday, I'm fighting the dive plane support brackets...one fits and the other one doesn't, it's driving me mad..

Richard
    george jure

Post  george jure Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks again for the reply.

I sent you a external email, I am having trouble at my local print shop in terms of getting a Clear large print out of the Darnell X-craft plans that you sent me. The person says the file you sent me is of low resolution and it can`t be improved enough to enable the viewing of sizes and text as well as clear sharp hull lines.

Can you help me with this?

Also the 1mm standard tip screws I`m guessing are for show and can be glued in place on the hatches?

George

Please let me know about the Darnell X craft plans, I really need them to help with the detail work on my X craft.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 pm

george jure wrote: Hi Richard

Thanks again for the reply.

I sent you a external email, I am having trouble at my local print shop in terms of getting a Clear large print out of the Darnell X-craft plans that you sent me. The person says the file you sent me is of low resolution and it can`t be improved enough to enable the viewing of sizes and text as well as clear sharp hull lines.

Can you help me with this?

Also the 1mm standard tip screws I`m guessing are for show and can be glued in place on the hatches?

George

Please let me know about the Darnell X craft plans, I really need them to help with the detail work on my X craft.

Hi George,

Those plans are only a photograph of the original ones, now as rare as hen's teeth...I couldn't improve them, I just had to do the best I could and just magnify them as much as I could without them getting blurred, but just enough to enable me to read the measurements...or make an educated guess.

You're quite right about the screws, they are just for show, just to make the hatch covers look a bit more realistic.

Richard
    george jure

Post  george jure Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello again Richard

Thanks again for the news. So that`s how you worked with those plans. Time for a dumb question, have you OR anyone posted here or elsewhere, looking for a true copy of the Darnell x-craft plans, not a picture.

George
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 am

George, I have hunted the world high and low looking for a set of plans...the only person who responded to my query was a fellow AMS member, it was he who took the photos of them for me.

Richard
    george jure

Post  george jure Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:27 am

Richard(Admin) wrote:George, I have hunted the world high and low looking for a set of plans...the only person who responded to my query was a fellow AMS member, it was he who took the photos of them for me.

Richard

Hello Again Richard

Thanks again for your replies and your patience with me. Would it be possible for you OR I to ask the person who sent you a picture of the plans if he would be willing to make a proper copy of them and mail them to you OR me, I would pay for them of course.

Also Richard what did you mean by dive plain support brackets? Any pictures of the current state of your work?

Thanks Richard
    George
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 am

george jure wrote:
    Richard(Admin) wrote:George, I have hunted the world high and low looking for a set of plans...the only person who responded to my query was a fellow AMS member, it was he who took the photos of them for me.

Richard

Hello Again Richard

Thanks again for your replies and your patience with me. Would it be possible for you OR I to ask the person who sent you a picture of the plans if he would be willing to make a proper copy of them and mail them to you OR me, I would pay for them of course.

Also Richard what did you mean by dive plain support brackets? Any pictures of the current state of your work?

Thanks Richard
    George

Hello George,

The person that photographed the plans for me is in a similar situation to me, we both live  in very small villages, neither of our villages have photocopying facilities, hence the reason for him just taking a photograph of them.

The new prop shaft turned up yesterday, so whilst my friend Andy (tattooed) is making me a new top flange for the radio box, I can get started on installing the new prop tube and shaft.

The dive plane supports are the moulded arms that hold the rear plane in position across the boat...I cut mine to the marks which were shown on them, only to find that they don't fit at all, so I'm thinking that the only way to go on this is to have a new set made up and  start again.

Richard

Last edited by Richard(Admin) on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical errors)
    george jure

Post  george jure Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 am

Hi Richard

Thanks Again for the information. To be honest, stupid, I still don`t think I understand what those supports are/look like.

I also sent you a PM here. I did not know if I should post it publicly.

George
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 pm

I've finally managed to sort out the problem that's been bugging me with these rear dive planes, the marked holes were off centre, so nothing would line up properly. I.
    I've  had to redrill them properly, make up some new bearings out of various sizes of brass and alloy tubing, then line everything up with a length of brass rod. It now fits properly, so tomorrow I can get them fitted.

George, the parts in question are the banana shaped pieces that hold the dive vane in place.

Richard
    george jure

Post  george jure Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Richard

I am keeping you computer busy not X craft busy. Did you read my PM here to you?

George

tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 pm

done the flanges for you mate made two just in case
    george jure

Post  george jure Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 pm

tattooed wrote:done the flanges for you mate made two just in case

Hello tattooed

Could you please explain the term "flanges", as you used it for the X craft submarine, I have an idea BUT it might be a different term there in the U.K compared to here in Canada.

Also Richard, did you have a chance to ask your contact about the Darnell X craft plans OR at least if he could take another set of pictures of it BUT in a high resolution camera setting, so the text and sizes could be read.

Thanks

George
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

hello george
    the flange is just a flat plate so that when rich puts in onto his radio box he has a perfectly flat surface for the lid to sit on
    george jure

Post  george jure Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Hello again tattooed

Thanks for clearing that up. Here we just call it a cover plate. I did not realize that Richard is building a box for his WTC for his X craft, I thought he was using a Tube shape WTC.

Do you do any build work for other people or was this a "special situation"? If not what else can you make?

George
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 pm

rich is old school george so he likes the box, on the forum you will find alot of members who will help with things for a build , rich is a very good friend and what he can't do i help him with as in my job i can get my hands on most things so if you need anything just shout thats what friends are for
    george jure

Post  george jure Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm

tattooed wrote:rich is old school george so he likes the box, on the forum you will find alot of members who will help with things for a build , rich is a very good friend and what he can't do i help him with as in my job i can get my hands on most things so if you need anything just shout thats what friends are for

Hello Again Andy

First, I want to Thank you for your offer of help. To be honest with you I think I am ignorant of what I will need for this build since I have NEVER built one before. I look forward to checking here for the current update in Richard`s build. I need pictures though, as they say a picture speaks a thousand words, it`s also a lot easier on the typing fingers.

Second, I hope Richard does not mind me posting this much here, I do not mean to hijack his build post.

No that I know where to ask, I will, when I get a spark in my brain.

Thanks Again

George
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 pm

i'm sure rich doesn't mind you posting any questions ,thats what the forums for and i'm sure that when rich hands are working properly he will be posting more pictures
    george jure

Post  george jure Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:20 am

Hello Richard

This is George from Canada. I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing and how goes your X craft build? Also I sent you a PM. Let me know when you can about it.

Thanks Richard.

George
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

Situation report:

It's one step forwards...two steps backwards with this X craft. The radio box fits nicely into the hull, the new flange that Andy made for fits perfectly, and my new clear lid fits perfectly.

But...(there's always a but) put the whole lot together in the hull, and the lift off deck section doesn't sit properly, it sits about 2mm proud of the rest of the deck. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is fouling it, it has to be the clear lid that's the culprit, so I now have hours of filing and sanding approx 2mm off the edge of the lid to look forward to. It might even be easier to cut a new lid, but that took me an awful long time and played havoc with my hands.

Happy days...
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

is it the lid rich or the bolts if its the bolts how about using countersunk bolts to get it flush with the lid
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:00 pm

I've sat and looked at it for ages, Andy...I even resorted to cutting away a lot of the deck underside, but it still won't fit. I've come to the conclusion that the box itself was wrongly made, it really needs about half an inch removing from the top, and then the new flange you made glassing back on. That would cure the problem completely...I hope.

So, tomorrow's job is : cut half an inch out of the box.
    george jure

Post  george jure Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello Again

I have been away for a little bit. I ordered the pair of hatches from Models by Design: Andy and paid him but nothing here yet. It`s been a fair amount of time, I think before the rain storms that hit the U.K. I have sent him a couple of emails to ask about my order with No reply.

Does anyone know how he is? I know he was also in the hospital for a while, I ordered from him when he was home and up and working.

Is it possible for someone to tell me what his status is?

Thanks for All the help so far.

George from Canada
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Andy was fine last week, I spoke to him on the phone.

Richard
    george jure

Post  george jure Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:58 am

Richard(Admin) wrote:Andy was fine last week, I spoke to him on the phone.

Richard

Thanks Richard

BTW Richard, any chance for a new High Resolution picture of the X craft plans from your friend? That would allow me to see the sizes and text when blown up for printing.

George
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03 pm

George, just do what I did...just enlarge them by around 30%, I think it was. I could read the measurements quite easily then.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:02 am