The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
piston tank controller EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
piston tank controller EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
piston tank controller EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
piston tank controller EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
piston tank controller EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
piston tank controller EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
piston tank controller EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
piston tank controller EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
piston tank controller EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

3 posters

piston tank controller

johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

piston tank controller Empty piston tank controller

Post  johnrobinson Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm

been working on a new digital piston tank controller would like to say a big thanks to Nigel for doing the test jig for the piston tank unit as you can see from the video the unit seems to work well hope you find the video intresting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5qmhVgTgw&feature=youtu.be
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

piston tank controller Empty Re: piston tank controller

Post  salmon Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Brilliant! Great work there John! Will this be going into the Gato? Will this be available for others?

Peace,
    Tom

Post  johnrobinson Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Salmon
    Thanks for interest in piston tank unit, hopefully it will be going in to my big sub as trim tanks but will stick to compressed air for main tank. Piston tank unit will hopefully be going into production will all be made with SMD components the unit should come out small in size, i have ran this unit on a electric window motor and gears out of a car to see how it stood up to high currant and the power fets on the board never even got hot. The fets on the circuit that i have done is done in such a way that it applies braking before it goes in the other direction turning the motor so you don't end up with a problem hunting to find its dead band
    John
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm

HI ALL
    When i put video up of digital piston tank controller the pro-to type was built on vero board to get the unit to work, PCB board is being designed at the moment and it will be all surface mounted component's which means that the board will come out quite small in size. One of the other units that i have been designing is called a water switch idea is when you put the sub in the water there will be two small electrodes that when touch the water it will switch the sub on and when you take it out of the water it switches off. The circuit works on AC voltage which is to stop the electrodes from corroding which would happen if you use DC, the other unit that i have designed is a high powered BEC circuit which can give you 5Volts or you can select 6Volts will work up to 40Volts on input, unit is quite small in size this will all so work with water switch so when water switch is on it will switch on the BEC which will run your radio gear and what ever else. Water switch will switch on power to speed controllers and so on and water switch has all so go test switch so you can test the sub on the bench with out having to put it in the water.

I am trying to find out how much interest there is in the above units before i start to make them, when the PCB board has been finished designed for the piston tank control unit will do a video of all the units working on the bench together
    All the best John
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:48 pm

HI All
    Would like to wish every one a very happy Christmas to you all. The piston tank control unit that i showed on the above link to video of it working the unit has had the PCB board designed for it which is all surface mounted component's, the board size is about 62mm x 40mm and that is with all the H bridge drive circuit the board is double sided which means it has component's on both sides. Seems to work very well, it all so has radio failsafe on it unit will work from 6 to 12 volts. But hopefully the unit will find its way into my big sub which will all end up linked to depth control unit. The printed circuit board that has just been designed could be linked to a wind screen washer pump and be used as a auto leveling device plus it has got quite a few other things it could be used for. The above unit has no relays which can be a pain in the back end and no micro switches it just plugs straight into your RX receiver in your sub .

I am just about to start and build sonar what would be radio control link but the sonar would control your sub instead of what you know as your TX now, all so looking in to putting sonar that will tell you depth of water under the sub and transmit back and tell you on a screen. We will have to see how it all works out.
    Sub John
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:45 am

Remember that the AMS piston tank controller chip and design are available in the "For Sale Section for AMS members.

And on a seasonal note, lots of other PIC chips (Pinger etc. Don't lose your sub.) available for late Christmas presents! (Sales seem to have slackened off recently.)

Ho Ho Ho!

David

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 pm