* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join register on the forum first then follow the forum link to our membership form which is on our website

For further details of any events shown here also see the "Shows and Events" section on the forum

Let us know of your plans for 2017 and we will promote them on this Forum

. .

Bournville MBC, West Midlands, 17th Sept

Edinburgh MBC Warship & Sub Day, 24th Sept

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 37 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 am

Latest topics

» Bournville Sep 2017
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:28 pm by timgarrod

» Model Sub Related Events for 2017
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 am by david f

» Haydock Park 2017
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 pm by david f

» Going Brushless?
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:55 pm by david f

» Barrow in Furness MBC regatta and sub day
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:46 pm by david f

» Model Boat Convention, Haydock Park, 26,27 August
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am by david f

» Frequency checker
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:17 pm by hooper

» IJN Type KD3 fleet submarine or similar
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 pm by offroad

» Norwich Model Sub Weekend 2017 - Norwich MBC
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 10329 messages in 1673 subjects

We have 734 registered users

The newest registered user is LenaMax24

Piston Ballast Systems

John.redearth

Re: Piston Ballast Systems

Post  John.redearth on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 am

Hi

The valve is a doddle. Have a look at this..

http://youtu.be/2YsIfgtrXhM

Best John
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:41 pm

That is very ingenious, John!

So the ball bearing is functioning as a non return valve and a (low) pressure relief valve? By low pressure I mean a few inches of water. It makes pump selection a doddle.

I wonder if a single one could also be used as a vent (to prevent over pressure) on an air filled bag system?
    I confess I have never used a low pressure water pumped system or an airbag (I've only used pressure tank water systems and piston tanks.)but they are often talked about as solutions. But the necessary detail is often glossed over.

Low pressure water tanks + smaller piston tanks do offer benefits (as discussed earlier.)

David

PS I see that Arduinos can be programmed in C. I will give an update on my learning C shortly!

Last edited by david f on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

John.redearth

Post  John.redearth on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Yes to all of that.. keep in tough with your programming. We should exchange scripts as we go. I am not that good at it but it works so far..
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Just an update on the piston tank saga. These are home made ones I did over the course of 2015. The top one is the one used for my Holland and the lower one is used in Resurgam and the Nordenfelts. Both are now pretty much standard designs using the proportional controller but I adjust the dimensions to suit the model.

They use a standard (Nitrile) O ring. The fit is all important and does involve a bit of trial and error. Spin the piston and take small amounts out of the groove with a needle file. My rule of thumb is that you have to be able to move the piston up and down the cylinder BY HAND. (If you can't it is too tight and could stall the motor.)

The basic construction is as made by German modellers. The two photos below show the idea (This tank was originally for Resurgam but was too undersized - err on the large size! This tank uses a silicone O ring - a bit softer and with less friction. Friction seems to be a problem with smaller diameter tanks, for some reason.)

John.redearth

Post  John.redearth on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 pm

An added thought. Very intersting about orings and pistons. I am in the process of building another one right now. I have found that if you cut the groove too deeply and there is not enough pressure, self sealing butyl tape can be used in the base of the groove under the o ring and keeps the seal nicely.

Crossie
    AMS member

Post  Crossie on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:00 pm

To get the best level of sealing with the level of friction appropriate for the surface finish of the cylinder, it's quite important to make sure that you cut the groove to the right dimensions as per a proper o-ring chart for dynamic conditions and not static fitment which has a higher % of ''squeeze'' and hence friction. A few minutes google-time will yield plenty of charts to get the right fit.

Trevor.
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:22 pm

You are right Trevor. The surprising thing is how wide the groove must be to allow the O ring to "roll."

With my limited machining skills I have great difficulty in turning grooves to accurate dimensions. Any suggestions on how this is best achieved? Can you perhaps make a special tool to do it in one? (I use a narrow parting off tool - but it is not the best.)

David

tsenecal

Post  tsenecal on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm

a quick google search found this....

http://www.applerubber.com/oring-gland-calculator/

John.redearth

Post  John.redearth on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi

I am doing it now and putting together a video on it.  I think the best way to go is to start by machining a close sliding fit with the cylinder with practically no play.  This takes time and small cuts but is definitely worth it.   Then cut the O ring groove depth using the cross slide to 85% the width of the o ring, and the groove width to 120% width.  Then take a nice cut off the whole diameter to get a looser fit for the end cap..  maybe 5- 10 thousands of an inch.  Then youv'e got it.  The hardest thing to do using this method is to turn the initial sliding fit to work from.  The hardest thing to do is to measure the internal bore accurately as there are 'variables,' and this elimiates this problem.

Cheers
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:32 am

Hi John and a Happy New Year!

Very interesting what you say about starting out with the cylinder a good sliding fit.

I have perhaps been less than scrupulous about this in the past therefore with some rather "random" O ring fits.

The good sliding fit is the starting point for the other dimensions.

David

John.redearth

Post  John.redearth on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Here is a start. It worked pretty well

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 pm