The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyToday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Deans marines HMS Resolution EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

3 posters

Deans marines HMS Resolution

acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Deans marines HMS Resolution Empty Deans marines HMS Resolution

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi to everyone hope you all have had a nice Christmas
    On Christmas evening when my young lad had finally gone to bed and I’m sitting there thinking I’ve eaten far too much
    I stumbled upon the Deans Marines 1/96 scale HMS Resolution hull which I have a soft spot for as I have tried making one of my own design before over 20 years ago when I had no clue as to what I was doing no better now ha ha (sunk in the bath tub) now lives in the loft.
    I can easily make the conning tower and hydroplanes plus it will fit in my bath (just)
    Has anyone come across this Submarine for £102 pound plus p&p I feel it’s a good price.

This will be my first static diving sub so I would like to spend more time sorting out the workings of a static diving sub than spending vast amount of time with scale detail this would be better left to the next project may be a t class sub
    The last point is I have an interest in the resolution class subs which is important to me this helps to keeps me motivated
    Many thanks geof

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/2621
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Deans marines HMS Resolution Empty Re: Deans marines HMS Resolution

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 pm

It doesn't look a bad hull to me, Geof, plenty of room inside for all sorts of ballast systems. Deans hulls are usually pretty good from what I hear, so give it a go!
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:23 pm

thanks richard thats what i was thinking a nice size and looks a lot easyer to put together than a darnell t class hull plus i could get it on the water quicker and start learning how to set it up.
    i could ask mark at mmb to make me a WTC with endcaps once i know what i need should be able to get the hull and WTC for under £250 i would of thought.
    got my work cut out now need to get the revell u-boat done and refit my little fun sub while i save up for this

many thanks geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 pm

At the risk of upsetting a few people Geof, if I were you I'd ask Ron to knock you up a cylinder. Whether you want a full module like mine or just a basic cylinder to fit out yourself, he'll make you exactly what you want, and it will be watertight.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Geof,

Looks like a good project. The Deans hulls are a very good price but I believe are pretty good.Keep the weight and displacement of the superstructure down as much as possible (For roll stability and to keep the ballast tank small.)

You can order a WTC from a number of suppliers. I have no axe to grind (I make my own WTC's from drainpipe!) but MMB have been around for a long time and have been good for the small bits I have bought from them at shows. I don't think that is any controversy about suggesting suppliers, Richard, as long as we state our relationahip with suppliers.

If you have a bit of time and ingenuity you may choose to make your own WTC. You don't HAVE to have clear plastic - hence the (very cheap) drainpipe option.

The main hurdle is the endcap. If you have, or have access to, a lathe it makes things very easy. You CAN assemble plastic disks and glue them with a gap for an O ring or maybe MMB can make you some up.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:18 am

There is a company on eBay who sell clear acrylic tube, and they sell plastic discs to fit the tube. I guess one disc to fit internally and one the next size up, glued together, would give you the basic end cap. With some careful work, you could probably fix the cap into an electric drill and you could grind a groove into it for the O ring to seat into.

Here's the eBay link... http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/clearplasticsupplies&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:07 pm

thanks for all replys could be a good idea to get my own tube its not that expensive and get some one to make me up the end caps.
    how do you guys cut the clear tube?
    the HMS resolution feels like a very good idea for my next step so i shall push on with the u-boat still need to get a transmitter and reciever 40mhz seems like its getting harder to find and then get the money together for this project
    hoping to start a building thread on my u-boat next week

many thanks your help is more than apprecated geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:03 am

Clear Plastic Supplies sell a huge range of acrylic tube, Geof...all the sizes you could possibly need.

I cut the tube like this:

Measure the length you need and mark it with a piece of masking tape(make sure it's level all the way round the tube)then gently and slowly go round the tube with a junior hacksaw, and just keep going...slowly. It should only take two or three minutes to cut through it.

Once you're through, sand the cut edge level and smooth with wet n' dry, and bevel the inside edge very slightly, that makes it easier to get the end cap in. Job done...

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 pm