The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyToday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

Similar topics

+8
david f
johnrobinson
profesorul
salmon
tattooed
Deep Diver (Fred)
Giovanni LiCalsi
Tom(ADMIN)
12 posters

Moebius Skipjack

ajg141
    AMS member

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Empty Re: Moebius Skipjack

Post  ajg141 Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 pm

You're doing sterling work with this project Richard. I've been glued to all the build progress and photos since the start and it's been extremely interesting. Not least because the Moebius Skipjack I ordered lst March arrived on Christmas Eve! British wholesalers are sometimes optimistic when they quote delivery dates! I have opened the box to have a gander and the quality of the kit looks superb as you have said but I think it will be a while before I get started because I am in the process of committing sacrilege and scratch building a model of Leonardo da Vinci's paddler and I really must get that finished before Paddler Day in Darlington this summer. After all I had hoped to have it there for 2012!
    I have been carefully studying David Merriman's build of the Skipjack using his SAS Sub-Driver unit and fittings mainly because I've never seen the system in operation and I'm always game to try something different. The only thing that's putting me off is the capital investment although I'm sure it would turn out to be of the highest quality and reliability. Parts we have bought from him before have been superb. It's an exchange rate problem and I know who to blame for that! Mind you Ron's wtc looks superb too and I've succesfully run his old Resolution units before. Decisions...Decisions...
    Keep up the good work.

Andrew
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:23 am

Well, thank you Andrew, your kind words are much appreciated.

It is a very good kit, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box to see the amount of detail on the deck, it really is very good.

As for the fitting out..I too looked at the various offerings from America, but the cost frightened me off...by the time you've bought the fittings kit and the module, you're saying goodbye to a lot of money. When Ron stepped in and offered to design and build a module for me, for a fraction of the price that our American cousins would charge, I nearly broke his arms grabbing it. I have the module and everything needed to fit the boat out and make it operational (all bought brand new) and I've still spent less than buying from the States. And a plus factor is that Ron is only a phone call away should I need advice on anything...another large plus is that Ron has offered to put me up for a weekend and assist me in getting the boat trimmed and ready to go (he has a small swimming pool in his garden) now that wouldn't happen if I'd have bought the American parts.

It's taking me a long time to get things done due to my health problems, but I'm in no rush, and it's proving to be an interesting build...not only the building of the kit, but working out how to build it whilst trying to persuade my hands and fingers to do what I want them to do!

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:37 pm

My fingers decided I needed a change from installing the electronics in the module, so I made a start on the rear dive planes...two and a half hours of pure frustration later, this is as far as I've got.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Dsc0a010
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:22 am

One advantage of not sleeping much is that I can get a bit of modelling time in during the small hours. This is the layout of the rear dive 'planes, still some more sanding to do on the leading edges to get them to turn smoothly, but I'm getting there.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Dsc00522
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Job done...45 minutes of filing and sanding and swearing, the rear planes now move as smoothly as I can get them too.

A beer and smoke, methinks...
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:19 pm

And this is the result of all that filing and sanding and swearing...both 'planes revolve through 45* without any binding. I'm pleased with my efforts..

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Dsc00523

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Dsc00524

Next job is mark and cut the tail cone away from the deck section, ready for it's permanent fixing. Only one chance of getting it right, so great care will be needed...measure once, measure again, check measurements...measure once more then cut.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 025-110
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi Richard
    sorry for late reply i was doing a reply then the internet packed up then been running around since then
    many many thanks for the link im trying to get one with a model memory so i can add more than one model need to try and cut back on transmitters ive got 4 for my planes and helicopters and 2 for my boats
    funny thing is you can find 35mhz all over the place just need a 40mhz module for the back of my transmitter and the way i go never that easy
    i now the R A cand be dificult my nan had it in legs and spine my nan just chuged a long and done what she could
    ive just seen your rear hydro planes you have done a real neat job so tidy
    take care geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

Morning Geof,

Have a word with our tame electronics guru, John Robinson..he's your man when it comes to converting 35mHz radios to 40mhz. I used to have seven 40mHz radios at one time, but now I've condensed down to just two...my Robbe F-14 which is set up for the Neptune, and a Futaba T7CP computer radio which primarily is going to be installed in the Skipjack, but I can use it in more or less anything.

I find the F-14 is ideal for me with my fingers and hands, and having it in a Robbe tx tray makes it even better, I have somewhere to rest my hands which is good. Also the F-14 has two slider controls, which is ideal for ballast tank control...one day when my pension provider allows me to, I'd like to upgrade to the more up to date F-28 series, but for the moment, I'm quite happy with the one I have.

You're right about this dammed RA, it drives me mad sometimes...I've had two heart attacks, so I know about pain, but the pain that RA gives is ten times worse. But, there's plenty a lot worse off than me, so like your nan, I just plod on and do what I can when I can. It slows the modelling down though, which is the ultimate in frustration!

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 am

Talk about heart in the mouth time...it's a strange feeling taking a saw to your pride and joy. But, it has to be done...and it is done.

Much measuring, checking the measuring and measuring the measuring, I took the razor saw to the top deck and cut the rear cone off. To my surprise, it worked out very well, and even more surprising, it fits back together.

Yes, I'm pleased...

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 Dsc00525

I need a cup of tea now...
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:38 pm

thanks for putting me in the right direction about TX a email to john robinson may be the way ahead i have a freind who is clud up on electronics who may be able to help as well keep on plooding you will get there plenty of time till the summer
    my dad always said measure it at least twice then cut once only problem with that keep getting different measurments or cut it wrong anyway ha ha
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm

John's your man for this sort of thing, Geof...he's our tame guru, we keep him in a cage and feed him on fried resistors. He loves 'em...
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm

40Mhz plug in TX modules - keep an eye on Ebay. I got one for my Futaba that way.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:20 pm

It could be a nice cheap way to get a decent radio..there are some superb radio sets out there on 35mhz just begging to be converted to 40mhz and used by us submariners. Look at some of those Robbe/Futaba helicopter radios...eight/nine channels, rotary switches, slider switches, variable rate adjustments on several channels, multiple position flick switches...the list is endless.

Then consider what you could do with all those functions...limited only by your imagination.
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi I have just had a great result just found a brand new futaba 6exa with 6 model memory the last one £32.50 plus £5 postage been hunting over the internet all afternoon could not find any thing through google but found it through bing.com happy days just got to find a receiver does hitec ones work on 40mhz take care geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Excellent Geof, nice radio for silly price. HiTex rx's don't work particularly well with Futaba tx's, or mine never did. Get a Corona rx from HobbyKing...less than a tenner, and they work great.
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks richard for the advice on hitec recievers ill keep to futaba hope your still ploding along on the build geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm

No worries, Geof...

Anyway, back to the build log...haven't been able to do much today, but during a brief moment of finger/brain cooperation, I have started on the rudder construction. I've glued both halves together, redrilled it for a stronger rudder shaft, and made a start on the rudder tube and the rudder arm.

Pictures to follow tomorrow, I couldn't hold the camera still for long enough today
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 pm

HI,
    RICHARD
    Can You tell me,what is in the picture and marked with the square and numbers?:
    - Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 10011

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 11010.

The motor is for what?....and is something small on it!...

MARIUS
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Of course Marius..the small item you have marked out in the first picture is the main power on/off switch. It's activated by a brass rod which passes through a watertight connector, to switch the power on you simply push the rod in, to switch the power off you just pull the rod. Very simple and very easy to use.

The second picture...the motor is one of the two piston tank motors, and other item is the switcher unit for the piston tank motors. It's operated by one servo...push the tx stick one way to flood the tanks, push the tx stick the other way to empty the tanks. It's basically a turned brass cam which activates a bank of microswitches, and as I mentioned before, servo driven.

Again, very simple and very easy to maintain.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

Following advice from my doctor (and allowing common sense to prevail) I've decided to put the Skipjack build on hold for a short while, and let this new medication do it's job. All the time I'm fiddling about and working my fingers, the medication can't relax the muscles as it should do, so until the stuff has done it's job, the Skipjack is on temporary hold.

Rather that than cock it up, I guess...

Should have added I'm due in hospital in a month's time to get sorted out, so finger crossed I can crack on soon afterwards.
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi richard sorry to here about having to put the build on hold as you say let the medication do its stuff and hopfully you will be able to build more easly
    take care geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks mate, I'll be keeping my finger crossed...I'm bored stiff already with daytime tv.
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:39 pm

I Hope from all my hearth to be able soon to enchant us with your subs.
    I PRAY for Your HEALTH.

MARIUS.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you for those kind words, Marius...very kind of you.
    Marcus Silva

Post  Marcus Silva Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Nice model and description.

And about the plans?

Moebius Skipjack - Page 7 CoacutepiadeSkipjackplans_zpsd9dcbcab

Regards: Marcus Silva

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm