The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyToday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
 IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements Empty IGUS plain bearings - ball-race replacements

Post  david f Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:11 am

Another most interesting contribution from Heinrich (Apologies to German readers - I don't have the original German text.)

As a result of Hein's note, I have just purchased 10 of these bearings (Not cheap at £4 each with a minimum order  of 10.)

- But they are very simple to fit. (I tried just a 5.0 mm drilled hole but this may be little oversize - they are designed as a press fit.)
    - They are self lubricating. (The lubricant is combined into the plastic material.)
    - They seem to be good for linear bearings also. (A lot of web references to their use in 3D printers.)

I am planning to retro-fit some on my subs to see how well they work.

"Hello David

I still have to get rid of this note: In my models (except for SUSHI) all ball bearings on the propeller shafts have been replaced by IGUS plain bearings. If they are installed according to the manufacturer's specifications, they are even watertight, but not necessarily pressure-tight. There are lip rings for 4 mm shafts: 4 x 8 x 2 mm.

https://www.igus.co.uk/product/3?artNr=JSM-0405-04

Please note the lower half of the company website: sleeve bearing, sleeve bearing with flange in mm and inches, thrust washer and more.        
    Best wishes

Hein"

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:50 pm