The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Hi from Sweden! EmptyYesterday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Hi from Sweden! EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Hi from Sweden! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Hi from Sweden! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Hi from Sweden! EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Hi from Sweden! EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Hi from Sweden! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Hi from Sweden! EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Hi from Sweden! EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

2 posters

Hi from Sweden!

Hi from Sweden! Empty Hi from Sweden!

Post  Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello everyone!

So, I stumbled upon John Dutton on the World Wild Internetz and instantly enjoyed what I saw. Very interesting stuff and obviously I would like, and learn to build my own R/C submarine. I do have some tools that I think could come in handy and I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so hopefully some of that experience will come in handy also.

I have played (and broken) R/C cars in my younger days, but never built anything R/C from the ground up and this will be a great learning experience, and I appreciate all the help I can get from all the veteran modelers here.

I will summarize my thoughts about this build, and I will gladly listen to your suggestions and advice.

* I have my own 3D printer, and thought I would use it for this project, so all the parts that can be printer, will be printed. I was thinking that this could include the hull as well. The base on my 3D printer allows for prints the size 400x400x300(? Not quite sure about the height 300) mm.
    Obviously the hull will be printed in sections.

* It would be cool with a submarine that has "tower diving planes" and an X-form rudder. However I am not quite sure as to control them properly. Any suggestions? How does the kits like the German 212A solve that? Do they have 4 servos, one for each rudder, or 2 servos that somehow control all 4 rudders individually (one for x-motion and one for y-motion)?

* I have done a fair amount of google-ing and understood the basic mechanics and process behind the build i.e that I will need a WTC, servos (how many?), water pump(s?), power unit/batteries, motor, transmitter and receiver. I realize there are a number of things needed that I haven't mentioned.

* Electronics and control. John mentioned using Arduino in his submarines to automate different features and abilities. I have recently started playing the Arduino in another project and I would like to have some of those nifty features John has in his subs.

Those are my thoughts at the moment.

I am open for all suggestions and advice. (Be gentle, I'm a noob =) )

Best Regards!

Nick
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Hi from Sweden! Empty Hi

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Nick
    Welcome to the AMS forum,

You will find all the help you need here, as you found out on Mayhem most of us are on here and Mayhem along with other boat forum's.

As I said "remember that the only stupid question is the one that you did not ask."

All the best

Fred Ellis
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Hi from Sweden! Empty Re: Hi from Sweden!

Post  salmon Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Welcome!
    I think it is great you want to join the RC Submarine family!
    The first thought that comes to mind, if someone thinks differently they will speak up, is pick a subject. You can design your own sub or pick an existing sub, like the Sjoormen class sub.
    That would be the first step. As an engineer, I can imagine you are focused on the internal workings and that is important, but you build the internals knowing what the requirements are for that sub. As an example, my Gato Submarine has a lot of deck and sail it needs to hoist out of the water if you want to get it to waterline, so the ballast requirements are bigger than say a more modern sub that has less to get out of the water.
    To move the sail, there are several ways, but David Merriman sold a kit for the Skipjack that took horizontal motion of the servo to two gears. One that took the horizontal movement meshed with another gear that took its rotation into a vertical movement moving the sails.
    Is it absolutely necessary to make the sail planes work? No, but you can do it. I have subs with working sail planes and ones that I set at a slight down angle. My forward speed (along with ballast tank) set the depth. The down angle does two things, helps counter the sail's drag effect and to give a subtle push down to counter any positive buoyancy I have.
    Enjoy the experience!

Hi from Sweden! Empty Re: Hi from Sweden!

Post  Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Status for the build as of this moment:
    * The scale is 1:45 and it will be roughly 1500mm long, or 5 feet.

* The hull is divided into 7 sections (ranging from 175mm to 250mm in length) which will be 3D printed in a standing pos. So far I have started on sections (S1, S3, S4 and S7). A picture at a later date will clarify. My weight goal is for the complete hull is no more than 2.5kgs. (In plastic). I have no idea if this is heavy or not. What is a typical weight for a 1500mm long sub? (Dry weight with all the R/C stuff in it)

* Material for the hull will most likely be PETG with a density value of 1.27. gr/cm3.

* I am quite curious in trying carbon fiber infused nylon and a few other materials. I just need to find the proper applications. =)

I am open to thoughts and suggestions.

BR
    Nick

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 am