The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

4 posters

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One

george jure

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Empty Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One

Post  george jure Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:00 am

Hello

I was just wondering and looking through ALL the posts here but could not find anything about this so I posted the question.

Has anyone built an R.C Static U.S.N DSRV or the Japanese version and while I`m at it the Russian version?

I know FX in the U.S has the ALVIN and built a nice size DSRV for a customer BUT according to them, they were coming out with a DSRV for sale BUT I don`t think I will see one in my life time, it`s economics with FX for the delay.

So has someone here built or planning on building one? What about some of the scientific versions from Japan or Russia for deep diving, it`s different, not too many out there, outside of Japan.

Please let me know and Thanks for Reading this post.

George
    merriman
    merriman

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Empty Re: Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One

Post  merriman Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Mark DeAntonio and I talked about me working out the mechanics for his DSRV -- which had stunning detail -- about ten years ago. Nothing has transpired to date. Sorry. As you say, 'economics'. Five thrusters, four of them mixed. Man! that would have been a blast.

David
    george jure

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Empty Re: Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One

Post  george jure Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:35 am

Hi David

Thanks for the bad news confirmation. I don`t know if you are aware but at FX, I believe his name is Marc, said the delay was because he was waiting on you for the prop details etc. He had a finished hull but made it sound like you were the hold up.

George
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 am

george jure wrote:  Hi David

Thanks for the bad news confirmation. I don`t know if you are aware but at FX, I believe his name is Marc, said the delay was because he was waiting on you for the prop details etc. He had a finished hull but made it sound like you were the hold up.

George

News to me. But it would not be the first ball I dropped. Yes, Marc with a 'c'. Thanks for the correction.

David
    george jure

Post  george jure Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 am

Hi David

Thanks for the replies. How about letting me know what the size of your 1.25" S.D is with a ballast tank is for scale diving? ALL I am after is the compartment sizes: Engine room, Ballast tank, Battery and OAL. I want to try to convert a 1/350 Typhoon to Static diver.

George
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:08 pm

george jure wrote:Hi David

Thanks for the replies. How about letting me know what the size of your 1.25" S.D is with a ballast tank is for scale diving? ALL I am after is the compartment sizes: Engine room, Ballast tank, Battery and OAL. I want to try to convert a 1/350 Typhoon to Static diver.

George

The ballast tank equipped 1.25" SD is still in development. It will be offered with the maximum sized ballast tank, suitable for the Revell 1/144 TYPHOON kit. It will be up to the owner to cut back on the cylinder to achieve the ballast tank volume correct for his particular model.

About 15" long, but subject to change as I near freezing the design.

David
    george jure

Post  george jure Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 am

merriman wrote:

George

The ballast tank equipped 1.25" SD is still in development. It will be offered with the maximum sized ballast tank, suitable for the Revell 1/144 TYPHOON kit. It will be up to the owner to cut back on the cylinder to achieve the ballast tank volume correct for his particular model.

David

Hi David

Well your reply had me surprised, a Revell 1/144 Typhoon kit, I did a google search and found nothing. Can you show a source for one?

As for the S.D Length o.k, dia. o.k. How about Engine room, ballast tank at max.?

Thanks Again for the help.

George
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 am

george jure wrote:
    merriman wrote:

George

David

Hi David

Well your reply had me surprised, a Revell 1/144 Typhoon kit, I did a google search and found nothing. Can you show a source for one?

As for the S.D Length o.k, dia. o.k. How about Engine room, ballast tank at max.?

Thanks Again for the help.

George

Or, was that 1/350th?.....
    ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:12 am

I've printed one and am in the process of building a pair highly-detailed exterior and interior models, suitable for 3D printing. Due to the extreme detail, the scale will likely be 1/15. Plenty of room to add thruster motors, etc.

Too bad this site cannot post photos directly like all the others I frequent, as I could post the build progress.

CC

david f likes this post

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 am

Hi cc,

Sorry you are having problems. You CAN post photos on here - it is just a bit different. This thread give an explanation (and shows I had similar problems some time ago!)

https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t77-posting-pictures-and-documents?highlight=posting+photos

Look forward to seeing your posts.

David
    ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  

Man, if sex were this hard, no one would have babies!  I wonder how many people who might have posted, throw up their hands and bail out - like I almost did.  Maybe some new tags have been added since you posted the instructions.  The "Host an Image" tag has moved from 15th to 17th place.

Okay, let's rock!

The first three renders are the original 3D model.  The colored renders that follow are tweaked meshes I textured, but they are far from complete. The last set of green renders are my start at building an interior --beginning with the spheres, hatches, and watertight doors.  The last set of renders are of the forward sphere cockpit, which have become the focus of my efforts at the moment.  I tend to gravitate back and forth within projects to avoid tunnel vision. Gathering reference material for my modeling takes almost as much time as the modeling itself.

When completed, there will be a larger, higher detailed RC model and a display version with and without an interior.  The embossed alpha-numerics on the saddles will be eliminated and details like the mid-sphere viewports and forward lighting nacelles will be incorporated.

CC

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Dsrv_010
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Dsrv_011
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Dsrv_012

Last edited by ccclarke1958@netzero.net on Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 pm; edited 5 times in total

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Many of my renders are rather large, so I have to send them in small batches.  The two upper renders are the 3D printed DSRV on a base of a 688 class mothership.  The lower render is a detailed and textured version with a more realistic Shock Mitigation System and Personnel Transfer Skirt. There were two designs for the pylons; I re-modeled the original and created a set based on the configuration used in the 70's and early 80's.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Base_010
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Base_011
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Wip10

Last edited by ccclarke1958@netzero.net on Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:38 pm

A few shots of the larger portions of the interior to help with establishing the scale.  Each sphere is 7.5 feet in diameter.  I've split the pressure hull into upper and lower halves to work on the vehicle in thirds.  There's quite a bit of detail inside and breaking the job into smaller portions keeps the model making organized and less overwhelming.  When complete, this will be part of a display model; most likely both exterior and interior versions will be printed in resin since there is a lot of small detail.

These shots show the overall lower pressure hull, the lower mid-sphere trunk access, and the lower hatch opened 135 degrees in the Personnel Transfer Skirt - just enough out of the way to open the upper hatch on the disabled submarine.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Stbd_011
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Lower_13
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Lower_12

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm

These are views of the watertight doors, upper and lower hatches.  All feature quick-opening latching mechanisms.  For the upper and lower hatches, the radial pins are moved in and out with a pair of gears. Of the two hatches, only the lower hatch has a viewport to help monitor the water level in the transfer skirt and aid in the critical maneuvering evolution over the top of the hatch.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Wt_doo10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Upper_10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Upper_11

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Switching over to the cockpit interior for a change of pace. . .

One reference photo (nothing happens without them!) and two WIP renders.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Sub_to10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Shell_10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Frame_10

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm

The original screw and shroud were in need of some refinement, so I re-modeled them using a lot of reference photos.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Screw_11
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Displa10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Screw_10

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 pm

More detailing was added to the Shock Mitigation System, (basically high-priced shock absorbers to keep the Transfer Skirt from crashing into the hull during mating/de-mating) and the Transfer Skirt, which begged for more detail.  The original parts, (shown on the right) were optimized for FDM printing, the new parts are geared for resin printing to take advantage of the added detail that can be obtained with resin printers. After these improvements were rendered, I added a concave cut to the skirt so it's upper profile mates with the original hull, rather than the round-topped version displayed here.

At this point, it's long overdue to give credit where credit is due: Carl produced the original DSRV for 3D printing, I'm just polishing it up.  He did a fantastic job and inspired me to take it up a notch! Printed as-is, it's a good candidate for RC use. After I modified the internal saddles and a few other things, I decided to just keep on going.

Available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4676024

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Shock_10
    Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Person10

david f likes this post

ccclarke

Post  ccclarke Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:31 pm

A couple of exterior shots as more detail is added.

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Descen13

Has Anyone Made a USN DSRV or Japanese One Descen14

david f likes this post

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 am