The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
 Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

5 posters

Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C

willte

Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C Empty Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C

Post  willte Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

has anny one built or bought this sub I am trying to find out it's size I know it's a metre long it's the breath and depth of the hull I would like to know be fore buying cheers willie
    merriman
    merriman

Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C Empty Re: Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C

Post  merriman Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:17 pm

willte wrote:has anny one built or bought  this sub  I am trying to find out it's size I know it's a metre long it's the breath and depth of the hull I would like to know be fore buying cheers willie

You can squeeze an 19" Long length of 2.5" diameter cylinder into the kits hull.

For a WIP of this kit being converted to r/c, look here:

http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread.php?2548-1-72-Revell-Of-Germany-Type-9-It-Starts!
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C Empty Re: Revell 1:72 - German Submarine Type IX C

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:58 pm

That's excellent work, David!!

Richard
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:That's excellent work, David!!

Richard

Thank you, sir. Should have the fittings kit and SD, both required to convert that kit to r/c use, ready for sale by the end of next week.

David
    willte

Post  willte Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:31 pm

bought one got it for £49-99p and only £6-00 postage from WONDERLAND MODELS
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm

There you go, Willie...David will have the fittings kit and the ready made cylinder available soon...get them, they make life so much easier, everything fits properly, and beauifully made.

Richard
    willte

Post  willte Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:There you go, Willie...David will have the fittings kit and the ready made cylinder available soon...get them, they make life so much easier, everything fits properly, and beauifully made.

Richard
    I would like to know the cost don't want to over do it
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:51 am

willte wrote:
    Richard(Admin) wrote:There you go, Willie...David will have the fittings kit and the ready made cylinder available soon...get them, they make life so much easier, everything fits properly, and beauifully made.

Richard
    I would like to know the cost  don't want to over do it

Providing you have the r/c gear and other devices ...

about $900.00

David
    willte

Post  willte Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 am

merriman wrote:
    willte wrote:

Richard
    I would like to know the cost  don't want to over do it

Providing you have the r/c gear and other devices ...

about $900.00

David
    thanks for the reply David but with vat tax added on that a way out of my league vat here is 20% and also on the postage if I paid the postage
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Wellte,

I completely understand. That VAT charge is killing our UK business. And shipping is another bar against overseas trade.

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

Plastic kits aren't my thing, so I don't pay much attention, but hasn't the conversion of this kit been covered a lot already?

I seem to remember Paul C doing one in one of the main magazines and didn't Brian do one in the AMS magazine??

Can't we point Willie towards some information, Richard?

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

I think you mean the Type V11, David...this is the Type 1X, a different animal altogether.

Richard
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

David, I'm not trying to sell Willie anything, just pointing out the options...

Richard.
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Did I step on someone's toes here?

David
    willte

Post  willte Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:05 pm

now now lets all be friends or is this the normal bunter willie
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 pm

merriman wrote:Did I step on someone's toes here?

David

No David carry on you are doing a sterling job,I wish I had your energy
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

nigele(ADMIN) wrote:
    merriman wrote:Did I step on someone's toes here?

David

No David carry on you are doing a sterling job,I wish I had your energy

Thank you sir.

As an American, I have to be careful to observe 'form' in other countries. I tend to push first, and think it over second. I think it fair to say that diplomacy is not my strong suit.

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

No David - My comments were not aimed at you, please carry on with your excellent contributions. No toe stepping either way.

I was actually having a little go at Richard, while wearing my AMS Membership Secretary and Treasurer hat (Some hat!)

The background is that the AMS is totally funded by it's 50 or so members and is therefore independent of any commercial interests. Our members expect us to be independent so as administrators, committee members etc. we have to be careful about "plugging"  products and not giving a range of options (commercial, built from scratch etc.)

David
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Very well. I'll reel it in.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

david f wrote:No David - My comments were not aimed at you, please carry on with your excellent contributions. No toe stepping either way.

I was actually having a little go at Richard, while wearing my AMS Membership Secretary and Treasurer hat (Some hat!)

The background is that the AMS is totally funded by it's 50 or so members and is therefore independent of any commercial interests. Our members expect us to be independent so as administrators, committee members etc. we have to be careful about "plugging"  products and not giving a range of options (commercial, built from scratch etc.)

David

David,

I understand you saying that the AMS is independent of commercial interests, but surely if a member (AMS or a forum member) asks for advice as to where to buy a certain item, are they any good, etc, then how can we offer said member the advice he seeks without mentioning a commercial outlet? I get asked about levellers on a regular basis...where to buy one, do they work properly, etc...I point them towards MicroGyros, because he's the only guy I know of that makes a good product and I know they work. I can't just say ''Oh, get in touch with that guy in Scotland, you'll have to do a google search for his name because I can't tell you'', that defeats the object of someone asking me for advice in the first place.

I recommended to whoever it it was (I can't recall his name at the moment....was it Willie?) when he enquired about a wtc for his boat to have a word with David M, because I knew that he was in the process of designing and building an r/c fittings kit and a wtc for that particular boat...that to me is not ''plugging'' David's products, merely trying to offer advice as to where the items are available. It's up the enquirer to make the choice of where to go and what to buy, all I did was to try and help the guy out.

If the question had been ''where can I buy an electronic board to control a ballast pump'', then I would point the person in your direction, because I know that you make them and they work...now, is that not ''plugging'' your work?

I recommended David M's products because they are very good, they are designed to work, and they work and fit properly...to me, that's not ''plugging'', merely offering advice gained from my own dealings with David, and my own personal use of his products.

Whether the recommendation points towards a large commercial business, or a chap making odd bits and pieces in his shed, if these people can help us out with items we need to complete the building of a boat, then I feel we should (and must) support them any way we can...without these people, our hobby would be a lot more difficult than it is already, and certainly more expensive.

In my own case, I can no longer make the bits and bobs I need due to my health problems, and taking into consideration the limits placed upon me living in a first floor flat (I don't think the people living underneath me would appreciate me using a lathe in my bedroom, and my ladyfriend would certainly would have strong objections to it) so I have to buy them from somewhere, or ask someone nicely if they would make them for me.

From Andy in his garden shed making a set of end caps, through David M making fittings kits for plastic kits, Mike Caswell offering his Sub Drivers (wtc's to you and me) right on up to the likes of Chris Cloke at Sheerline offering complete sub kits, and even the large commercial companies such as Engel, Robbe, Graupner, etc...we need them all. Yes, they need us to buy their products, and we need them to continue making these products, and so in my mind, we should be offering them as much support and as many recommendations as we can.

The model submarine world would be a much poorer place without them...

Richard
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

merriman wrote:Very well. I'll reel it in.

David

You will not! (see above)

Richard
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:

David

Richard

Fair enough. I'll hang around then.

However, everyone, know that this is my job; product development, design, fabrication, testing, and production work. This activity is my full-time vocation. So, ANYTHING I talk about here is related to my business. If it's verboten for a professional to engage in conversation here, please, say so, and there will be vacuum where I formally stood.

I don't push anyone to buy, nor am I a shill for those who sell. I don't sell, I work exclusively for the Caswell company; I am a vendor in service to one customer.

When I'm on this forum I talk about r/c model submarine stuff. If I'm asked about the cost of something, I'll do my best to tell him what the retail (less VAT and shipping costs) is as best I can -- regardless the point-of-sale of said product.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

merriman wrote:
    Richard(Admin) wrote:

David

Richard

Fair enough. I'll hang around then.

However, everyone, know that this is my job; product development, design, fabrication, testing, and production work. This activity is my full-time vocation. So, ANYTHING I talk about here is related to my business. If it's verboten for a professional to engage in conversation here, please, say so, and there will be vacuum where I formally stood.

I don't push anyone to buy, nor am I a shill for those who sell. I don't sell, I work exclusively for the Caswell company; I am a vendor in service to one customer.

When I'm on this forum I talk about r/c model submarine stuff. If I'm asked about the cost of something, I'll do my best to tell him what the retail (less VAT and shipping costs) is as best I can -- regardless the point-of-sale of said product.

David

And that, David, is how it should be. We all fully understand you are in the business of making a living, that's not a problem to us. Your time spent on here is time away from the workbench, and we appreciate that...there's an old trucker's saying that goes ''if the wheels ain't turnin', then I ain't earnin'''...I guess that's true in your case as well.

We enjoy reading your posts and your comments, and we all appreciate your time spent on the forum. You are a fountain of knowledge, I've certainly learned an awful lot from reading your words, and I guess that most of us have too.

If I get asked a question and the answer points towards you, then I'll say so...if it doesn't, then I'll direct the questioner elsewhere.

Let's all just carry on as we were...

Richard
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:58 pm

I have given this whole commercial non commercial issue a great deal of thought,and David's point that we need to offer alternative's,and I think that is the point,the A.M.S has always steered clear of any involvement with commercial manufacturers this I believe was a decision taken many year's ago, and from what I can see was taken of the back of certain issue's within the A.M.S committee at that time.

I think we need to ask ourselves what is the purpose of the AMS funding this forum,Clearly it is in the hope that some of the user's of the free forum will choose to become full AMS members,for this to happen we need to give those who visit this forum what they want,not what we decide they should have.

Logic say's Most of the people who visit this forum have an interest in model submarines or at least the concept, and are likely to be wanting advise,and help to pursue this interest if they choose to do so,many of these visitor's do not have the experience to scratch built a submarine,so the options open to them a quite limited,buy a used boat perhaps or build a kit,we need to cater for those visitor's by POINTING THEM IN THE DIRECTION OF KIT MANUFACTURERS, not one particular manufacturer but all,or as David put it "alternatives".

I noticed this morning that Marius put a post up thanking Richard for telling him where to get bellows,David replied to that post saying that he had used the same bellow's and he thought they where really good.

Well lads as it stands technically you both broke AMS rules,Richard you advertised a manufacturer,David you recommended the product.

I have used this example just to point out just how ridiculous this could become,where do you draw the line,somewhere between bellows and a full wtc.

So I suggest that we put this to bed once and for all I have asked Richard if it is possible to create a new section on the forum for manufacturer's so that they can tell us what they have available,and at what price,
    you never no some might ever be persuaded to offer a discount to AMS members.

I don't normally deal with this kind of issue in the public domain but seeing as the issue was raised on the forum I felt it was only fair to deal with on the forum.

I would welcome any comments from AMS members on this matter.
    regards Nigel AMS chairman

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm