The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

Similar topics

+8
david f
johnrobinson
profesorul
salmon
tattooed
Deep Diver (Fred)
Giovanni LiCalsi
Tom(ADMIN)
12 posters

Moebius Skipjack

profesorul
    profesorul

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Empty Re: Moebius Skipjack

Post  profesorul Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm

HI,
    @Richard.
    I've study the picture but...looks more complicated then I thought!.
    When You'll feeling well and had some time,can You make a CLOSER picture only with the Mini Gear it self?.Because from what I see in the picture the Motor Shaft and the Propeller Shaft are Directly Connected,or is guest a wrong impression.

Sorry to bother You four these details but I NEVER SEEN such an arrangement for wheels.
    Take Your Time I not in a hurry.

Regards MARIUS.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 am

Marius, I'm not exactly sure what it is you want me to illustrate for you, but here is the gearbox in various positions...does this help? (sorry about the picture quality, my camera battery needs a charge)

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00514

Picture one: the motor is now in direct drive, no gears are connected. The two gears remaining are in idle position.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00515

Picture two: The gearbox is now connected to the motor shaft. Power is from the gearbox, reduced to 2:1.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00516

Picture three: The prop shaft is now engaged, power is now to the prop shaft, 2:1 reduction, more than capable of turning the large prop.
    The motor box can be positioned anywhere I need to position it, which is very useful when it comes to final installation.

Hope this helps you understand it?
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Onwards with the build...the hull sections are now glued and screwed together. Once the glue has dried, I'll remove the three screws and replace them with short pegs made from sprue, when sanded level they shouldn't really show.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00517

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00518
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 pm

HI,
    MANY THANKS.
    It was more than I aspect ed.Now is Cristal Clear.These is what it means "PROFESSIONALS" skills.
    Keep on,"I am watching YOU!".

MARIUS
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm glad you understand what goes where now, Marius...next job on the list is make a start on the supports for the module so it sits properly in the hull without moving.

Make up a couple out of cardboard, get the fit right, then make them up out of 1/4" thick nylon. That is going to be interesting...

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 68053810
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm

send the templates to me mate i've got loads of nylon
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Bloody marvellous mate, thanks so much for that. I'll do them tomorrow if I can and get them down to you.

Thanks Andy..
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

no rush mate can't do it till i get back to work on the 2nd made the other thing but being the prat that i am left it next to my tool box
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Silly, silly boy...no problems, no rush mate.

Last edited by Richard(Admin) on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Slow day today, these damn fingers refused to cooperate, but I did manage to get the piston tank switcher servo installed, and the front plane servo is in position.

Tomorrow, fingers permitting, I want to get the esc and the rx installed
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 pm

My fingers seemed to be fairly cooperative this morning, so I've done a mock up of what will go where in the module. There's still the leveller and the fail safe for the pump switcher to install, and I've just realised I need another servo too...

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Photo10

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Photo_10

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Photo_11
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:05 pm

And found space for the leveller and the fail safe...

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Photo_12
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 am

Whilst waiting for a couple of bits to arrive, I thought I'd make a start on the installation of the prop shaft and supports. I've made up a very short prop tube, chewed out a couple of pieces of plastic that weren't needed, and so far it fits ok. Next up is to make the support for the shaft at the gearbox end, and then I can assemble everything.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Photo_13
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:16 am

Whilst you lot have been indulging yourselves in turkey and alcohol, I've been cracking on with the Skipjack. I've got the rudder sorted out, and now I'm doing a dry run of the rear vanes cross shaft.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00519
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:09 am

With a spot of careful wire bending, this is the last dry run of the rear planes/rudder shafts and linkages. Next up is to make the proper ones and get everything installed in it's final position. Must remember to make a longer propshaft though...

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00520
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Richard
    hope you had a nice christmas
    that WTC is a work of art you have set it up nicely looking forward to seeing this one finished
    i was watching the model submarine dvd from marine modeller last night and they were talking about the type of ballast tanks that you have got and how stable it was in ron perrots HMS Resolution having them at each end

take care Geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Geof,

I just wish that my hands and fingers would cooperate with the rest of me, then I could crack on some more.

The module is so simple mate, when I first got it it looked far too technical for me, but when you actually look at it it's exactly the opposite. Every part just follows on to the next part, and it all just literally plugs together.

The idea of having a tank at each end is ideal, it automatically balances itself...to quote from a well known meerkat...simples!
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:51 pm

sorry to hear about your hands one thing i would hate to have problems with im good with my hands but reading and writing no hope for me as you may be able to tell ha ha.
    I must say WTC fits together so well ron p has been on the sub scene for years had his own company R&R model engineering at one time got his 1991 cataloge sitting here.
    Does ron still make bits and pieces for the general public?
    hope your hands settle down so you can crack on with the build

all the best geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 pm

It's been a real pain this year, Geof...my hands swell up like up a couple of toads, by arms and shoulders can seize up completely sometimes, but I will not let it beat me building the Skipjack.

Ron has been about as long as I have in the submarine hobby, he's had a few ups and downs with it like we all have. I've known him for the best part of forty years or so, he made the SALCON for my Patrick Henry.

He's still building parts, so if you want anything, give him a call, he'll build what you want.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Empty Disclaimer.

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:27 am

At this point in this topic, I should point out that the AMS does not endorse any manufacturer or the goods that that manufacturer supplies.

Any manufacturers that I have named are my own personal preference, and my own personal recommendations.

I will also add that I have no commercial or personal connection with RonP (R&R Model Engineering) other than that of being friends with Ron for a lot of years, and being a satisfied customer.

Richard(ADMIN)
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 am

Spot on, Richard!

(See my earlier reply to the Deans Marine HMS Resolution post.)

It is a great shame that there are persistent rumours about R&R from the dim and distant past.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 pm

A problem has arisen due my module assembly...having had a chat to Ian at the Component Shop about wiring my packs in parallel, I was strongly advised not to do it...possible back charging and damage to the cells were two of the reasons he quoted me, so a rethink was required.

The module was designed around the two battery packs, and the central hole in the tray was cut to fit them, so that had to be taken into consideration.

I had several ideas floated past me, including one from Nigel which I liked, but after a lot of umming and aahing over what course to follow, and seeing as how I'm a conformed dinosaur with all things electrical, I've decided to use the good old fashioned 6v 4.5a/h gel cell battery.
    The size is practically the same as the twin NiMhs packs, and the gel cell is a nice smooth fit in the tray, so that's the decision I've taken.

acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:52 pm

as you say ron has been around for a long time met him once a nice guy what i remember he was talking about his resolution plus i liked his articals in marine modeller (still got many of his articals he wrote)
    on the note of people and the supplies i feel that if some one (ie MMB for me) has had a good service its nice for other people to now about it
    glad to here about the fighting spirit about your hands remeber my dad with the same attitude with his illness building his planes
    glad you have sorted your power problems i have joined packs up in seires many times and i have joined lipos up in parallel just fully charged the two packs separatley so one pack does not charge the other then join them together done this many times no problem never done this with nihms
    mind you the good old gel cell is cheaper and well tested

geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:18 am

I tell you what Geof, this blasted RA is no fun...a couple of years back the Skipjack would have been finished and I'd have been half way through another project, but now....well, I'm lucky to get a couple of hours a day when my hands cooperate enough to get some work done on it.

Although the AMS isn't allowed to endorse any company or manufacturer or their products, I think it's good to name the ones who make a good product and offer help and assistance, or name those who don't. At least that gives the guys an idea of who to buy from and who to avoid, and to do their own research into who they spend their money with.

I have had dealings with Mark at MMB...some good, some not so good, but he's one of a small band of manufacturers who sell sub related stuff, so more power to him. The hobby needs these people in order to survive.

Same applies to Ron, he's been around model subs for a lot of years, and I've known him for most of them. His stuff is good, it works, and it's been tried and tested in his own boats, so that's good enough for me.

Oh, nearly forgot...guy on the Mayhem forum has a Futaba Skysport 4 on 40mHz for sale...look here.

CLICKY
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 pm

A "pottering" day today, these bloody fingers have a mind of their own sometimes. Anyway, I've managed to get all four servos installed and screwed in, the esc and the leveller are all fitted into position...just the wiring to tidy up now, but that's for tomorrow. Also on tomorrow's agenda is to make the linkages for the rudder and rear 'planes and get them installed and working.

Moebius Skipjack - Page 6 Dsc00521

(looks like an electricians nightmare at the moment, but nothing a few cable ties won't sort out)

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 pm