The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» U-Boat R/C?
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyToday at 11:02 am by stig58

» Cheap Arduino Auto leveler
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm by 17b

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
No reverse on Brushless ESC EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12459 messages in 1984 subjects

We have 1012 registered users

The newest registered user is Tony 51

2 posters

No reverse on Brushless ESC

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

No reverse on Brushless ESC Empty No reverse on Brushless ESC

Post  david f Tue May 07, 2024 1:04 pm

This has been a puzzle for several months and has now been solved.

I have been unable to get reverse even though the ESCs have been carefully setup usually using the programming card (e.g the ZTW Shark)

I would occasionally get reverse but the next time I switched on - forward only.

Very puzzling!

A recent very interesting conversation at our Lake side (Thank you Neil and Peter!) suggested a solution. Was I using a standard transmitter stick with spring centring?

No, I wasn't.

Over the years I have usually been putting throttle on non-centring sticks or rotary knobs.

I went home and put the spring back on my transmitter stick and connected up a 40 MHz receiver rather than anything more exotic.

Switch on, Wait 3 seconds. Allow stick to go into neutral position.

It worked - every time! (The ESC seems to need a very closely defined neutral zone to work.)

Thank you my fellow Club members!

The KISS principle is a good one.

David

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

No reverse on Brushless ESC Empty Re: No reverse on Brushless ESC

Post  geofrancis Tue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm

david f wrote:This has been a puzzle for several months and has now been solved.

I have been unable to get reverse even though the ESCs have been carefully setup usually using the programming card (e.g the ZTW Shark)

I would occasionally get reverse but the next time I switched on - forward only.

Very puzzling!

A recent very interesting conversation at our Lake side (Thank you Neil and Peter!) suggested a solution. Was I using a standard transmitter stick with spring centring?

No, I wasn't.

Over the years I have usually been putting throttle on non-centring sticks or rotary knobs.

I went home and put the spring back on my transmitter stick and connected up a 40 MHz receiver rather than anything more exotic.

Switch on, Wait 3 seconds. Allow stick to go into neutral position.

It worked - every time! (The ESC seems to need a very closely defined neutral zone to work.)

Thank you my fellow Club members!

The KISS principle is a good one.

David

I have found on some ESCs they have a automatic centering function where they will set centre throttle to whatever value the throttle is at startup within a set range. probably to account for all the different radios centre positions, I ended up having to change them out on a few boats that used flight controllers since they wouldnt initialise properly unless I had the flight controller powered up first.

I would recommend blheli32 escs with current sensing. you can get a cheap dongle to set motor direction to bidirectional mode. you can use any blheli esc with bidirectional mode but the blheli32 with current sensing giving you FOC mode for much smoother low speed control and the current limiting will stop you smoking a motor if you ever got something wrapped around the propeller. i have it set to 5A per motor for my boats, its more than enough.
    No reverse on Brushless ESC 8b108911

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000576967026.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006878972623.html

david f and SimonH like this post

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:46 pm