The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyToday at 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

+7
bassplayer1
Deep Diver (Fred)
Giovanni LiCalsi
johnrobinson
david f
tattooed
Tom(ADMIN)
11 posters

John Robinson's huge Gato...

johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Empty Re: John Robinson's huge Gato...

Post  johnrobinson Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm

these are some pictures of the medal from the model engineer exhibition in 1993 when i tuck the gold medal for the sub in C1 class

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0016

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0017

here is a snap shot of the certificate of merit for the gold medal

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0018

the second certificate of merit is for THE EXIDE AND DRYDEX CHALLENGE CUP if was for the best electrically propelled vehicle in the show only shame was i didn't get to keep the cup you where only allowed it for a year

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0019

this last picture is of the new captain of the ship

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0020

GIZMO
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am

found this picture of the sub dow charnwood waters i thought id post it up

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Imag0022
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:39 pm

next door neighbour tuck this picture of me making the plug for the sub

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 T_00310

this is a picture of the sub when it had just came out of the mold

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 T_00410
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

video bits of the testing of the sub on sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoahGnM9fY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1U5w_NI6c&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBn2WA631bs&feature=youtu.be

hope you all enjoy the watch thanks
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:55 pm

thought id post some new pictures of the sub of the water   thanks to rob for taking the pictures and sending me some coppies of them to post on hear

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 _dsc0611

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 _dsc0612

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 _dsc7910

[John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 _dsc8010

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 _dsc7912
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm

that's amazing . giving me the kick to start repairing mine.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Good man, Tim!
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 pm

HI Tim
    Glad that the pictures of the sub have encouraged you to have a go at repairing your own sub, hope to see some pictures of it soon thanks for the interest
    All the best John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:02 pm

How is the behemoth sailing these days?
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 pm

HI Giovanni
    You asked how the monster is, i have took it out a few times this year but have been plagued with a bush on the back hydroplanes keep coming undone ended up taking the hole lot out and doing some reworking to it and all so have made it so it is a lot easier to take apart. As you can imagine there is a lot of stress on the hydroplanes with them being so big, but it all seems to be OK now. One of the days i was out sailing it some bright spark ran over the deck and took the railings off the front of both sides and took the sonar head off as well, i was not very happy at the time. The guy said he did not see the sub but at 12FT long how big does it have to be for some one to see it, have got it trimmed up now. My new project is putting sound effects on to SD card if you use a 4GB memory card you can put a lot of sound effects on to it and all so making it so it can be selected and controlled from your transmitter for your sub
    All the best John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 am

John,
    Your sub is always a marvel to see and your engineering is superb.
    Maybe it is time to arm the torpedoes and sink some muskrats in the pond. :^)
    Hope to see some videos next season.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 pm

HI Giovanni
    Glad you find the sub impressive but i still think its a bit of old tat that i should have cut it up and put it down the tip, but on a serious note yes i have thought about putting torpedo's in it but think i would get band from the club where i go sailing but the guy that went over the railing and deck of the sub is very lucky that i did not have them on board the sub. Some body has just given me a small lathe which will come in handy for machining bits up would like to make the new torpedo's with counter rotating props, and like you said i would like to do some decent video of it next year but I'm sorry to say Pauline the other half is not much good as a camera man seems to shake like a leaf not very steady on the old hands.
    Thanks for interest Sub John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

You may want to put the word out to the submariner community in the UK to find someone with a GoPro underwater camera that would be enthusiastic about taking a video of your boat. These cameras take great photos under water and above water.
    I have one of these and they work great.

http://gopro.com

Attached to a pool skimmer pole or PVC pipe

John Robinson's huge Gato... - Page 2 Image-588
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 am

Looks GREAT but NOT for anyone's poket.
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:53 pm

They are affordable on the used market.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:40 pm

HI Giovanni
    The gotpro camera looks a nice piece of kit must admit it looks like it takes some good pictures looking on the web site. When i took the black and white camera out of the sub of mine and fitted a miniature colour one instead I've kept the black and white camera in it's water proof case it would be interesting to use it for videoing the sub under water. When i brought the black and white camera about 20 years ago it was state of the art at the time and cost me about 800 dollars which was a lot of money at the time now it sits all alone in a corner in the garage strange how things change. As you can now buy a colour video camera for 45 dollars and the picture quality is very good for the price
    All the best Sub John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:30 am

It blows my mind how fast electronic equipment becomes "old school"!
    I have the first Hero camera with all of the attachments that I bought about 2-1/2 years ago and the newer camera is much more capable than mine, now. Mine is still very usable but the newer version is calling my name.
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:59 pm

HI Giovanni
    It is amazing how fast electronic products become out of date, just look at computers you can build top of the range today and in 3 months time it's out of date but as long as the computer does what you won't it to do it's not a problem. But these people that build gaming computers seem to have more money than sense, i have seen my son clock up 15 hours a day playing games on his computer what a waste of time, but i must say some of the electronic components that you can buy today don't like to be abused very much as they seem to go up in a puff of smoke. But allot of the components inside of stuff that you buy today is working to close to maximum working voltage and the first high voltage spike the units go up in smoke.
    All the best John
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Evening All,

having a break for building(too many cut fingers) so thought a make this.

Enjoy
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am

HI @timgarrod ,

I am ENVIOUS on Your BEAUTY SUBMARINE , in a GOOD WAY OF COURSE .
    It looks so easy to maneuver , is quite a pleasure to see him in the water .
    CONGRATULATION .

All the BEST and CLEAR WATERS

MARIUS
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:13 pm

HI Tim
    I think you did a real good job in putting all the video bits together and making that video, it does make it look like old second world war video footage. When you came over and saw the sub in the garage you said how supprized on how big it was you don't realize how big it is untill you see it close up, on the video film if you look at the left hand side 3FT from the front looking from the back of the sub there was about 3 pounds of lead sitting on the deck as we where still trimming it up and it you look at one part of the film the sub was rocking about as i did a turn because of all the lead on the top of the deck. But all the lead is inside now where it should be all the sonar is in it now so will transmit signal back to the bank side so you will be able to see on the screen of the receiver unit the pond bottom and see the contour of the lake on the screen giving you depth as well on the screen.

I pretty much no how to make sonar radio control system to put in the sub it will be fully digital proportional so it will be the same as your normal radio control, but what you will be able to do is plug any transmitter in to the sonar transmitter and it will work will just conect up through buddy lead

Thanks for doing video nice one catch you soon
    John
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi profesorul

Cheers but the honnor goes to John as its his Submarine, got to see it in person a few weeks ago. its a work of art and can't wait to see it in action. here the video of it

And still given our committee kitten about the working torpedos lol
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:08 pm

HI @timgarrod ,

I am sorry for the confusion .
    I sow the video footage a year ago but in Your video I didn't recognize the sub .
    Is a "STATE of the ART" indeed . Very few of modeler submariners can rise at such level !!!.

MARIUS
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Evening All,

Couple of weeks ago's I got to see this beast get wet and still think John gave me the waterproof trousers that had a hole in them.

This is a bit long with 3 parts but worth it. Enjoy

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Tim/John,

I've only had a chance to see the first video but it looks superb!

There is nothing to beat a big model for looking right on the water and your production values and editing really do it justice.

Many thanks for posting it.

David

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:53 pm