The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyToday at 4:17 am by geofrancis

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12448 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

Similar topics

Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub

david f
      david f
      AMS Treasurer

Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub Empty Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub

Post  david f Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Putting an underwater sound generating Pinger on your sub when combined with the use of an onshore hydrophone means that you are almost certain to be able to recover your submarine (if or when?) you get a sinking.

The Pinger chips are easily available for AMS members (for £5) but the hydrophone can be an expensive item to purchase.

A number of people have made their own hydrophones based on the Loughborough University model.

I include a reference to this to give you an idea but we have a lot more expertise within the AMS and I will post more in future. Generally when the AMS meets e.g Alfold, Barrow etc someone has a hydrophone so you only need the Pinger on your submarine but the more hydrophones out there the better!

The instructions for the very useful Loughborough unit can be found at:

The hydrophone itself:
      http://sonar-fs.lboro.ac.uk/uag/downloads/bender2.pdf

The preamplifier:
      http://sonar-fs.lboro.ac.uk/uag/downloads/preamp2.pdf

(Note to Webmaster, I will also put this in the electronics section.
      david f
      david f
      AMS Treasurer

Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub Empty Re: Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub

Post  david f Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:34 am

I've put this thread over in the electronics section.

Last edited by david forrest on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
      david f
      david f
      AMS Treasurer

Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub Empty Re: Pingers and Hydrophones to save your sub

Post  david f Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Could I recommend also getting a set of lightweight nylon waders (About £30 on eBay).
      They are all you will need to recover your sub in many boat ponds. You get close to the sub using the hydrophone then feel for it with your feet. I speak from personal experience the photo is on Facebook somewhere!
      Waders are much better than swimming in winter too.
      david f
      david f
      AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 pm

Some competition for the Pinger coming from the use of openLRS technology.

https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t83p120-2-4-ghz-and-submarines-also-458-9-mhz#9939

Have a look at my posting about using a Yagi directional aerial.

My trials with this suggested that in relatively shallow water (about 4 feet) you could narrow down the search area for a lost sub to about a 20 foot diameter circle.

About the same as a Pinger and hydrophone. However the Pinger has self contained batteries lasting several weeks. The openLRS receiver will only transmit as long a your main battery lasts.

What would be really good is if the sunken sub could transmit a GPS location back via Telemetry. As far as I know, the GPS signal does not get through any depth of water?

But there is still life left in the Pinger concept!