The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyToday at 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12450 messages in 1982 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

5 posters

Robbe Seawolf V2

geofrancis

Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Robbe Seawolf V2

Post  geofrancis Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm

I have been making a dsrv for the back of the sub, it's a rough first draft.

Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 20230910
    Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 20230911
    geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:07 pm

I had the sub out for its maiden voyage at the Largs model boat club open day and things didn't quite go to plan, I forgot to connect the control rod to the front planes, and I managed to pull a tube off one of the pumps, so when I tried to dive the water sloshed forward and hit the receiver and I lost RC, I had also forgotten to set the failsafe again as I had rebound the receiver while troubleshooting forgetting that it also reset the failsafe. So when it lost signal I was trying to dive the sub, so it ended up doing circles scraping along the bottom of the pond and I had to wade in to get it.

The reason I like the Largs pond is that the bottom is smooth, and it's only up to my knees, so there was no chance of losing the sub if things went wrong.

Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 Whatsa12
    Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 Whatsa11
    Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 Whatsa10
    geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:52 am

Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 20230912
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:50 am

I didn't want to click "Like". if you see what I mean!

Heck, we have all been there. Why is everything underwater so difficult?

It will all be better next time. Stick with it.

Lovely pond, by the way.

David

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:47 pm

I have plenty of plans for this sub, I am going to put the 2 water proof servos in the front along with a water jet bow thruster, camera in the mast, and some more work on the flight controller dive system. Its been tested in the bath again since it failed at the pond and its all working fine. I plan on doing that once the dark nights start, as I'm currently working on my solar rover.

I have been writing code to convert robot vacuum cleaner lidar scanners for use with mavlink protocol, so it can be used with flight controllers along with some other experimental radar and AI camera systems. it's a bit of a time crunch to get it working as the dark wet nights are coming. its basically made from 3 reprogrammed hoverboards with 3d printed tyres bolted to a plastic crate. It's a test bed for the electronics that are for a long range autonomous boat as it's much easier to get it all tested on land before I put it in the water.
    Robbe Seawolf V2 - Page 3 35805510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBKi5ORgOj8

Last edited by geofrancis on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:52 pm

quote again lol
    geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:52 pm

I have rebuilt the sub after its last trip out to the bottom of largs pond, hopefully to stop it happening again i have implimented a few fixes:

1. I have secured all tubes inside the sub, the main reason it sank was that one of the tubes got snagged by the WTC as i was closing up the sub, this pulled the tube off the pump causing it to fill the wtc instead of the bladder. so now it shouldnt snag when closing up the sub.

2, I have replaced the peristaltic main ballast pump with a geared pump, its just much faster to dive and surface, even overvolting the other pump took minutes to go under. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353689843234

3, the flight controller has been totally reprogrammed with custom mixing so i can static dive while keeping the sub level.

4, failsafes have been set so it will blow the ballast if rc signal is lost.

5, I have connected the sub trim pump to the gimbal output so it will try and keep it level without using the pitch output.

once im sure it will work reliably then I will look at upgrades.  fpv camera, bow thruster, pressure sensor for inav and depth sounder.

david f and SimonH like this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:36 pm

I have the thruster and sonar to install, now that I have the software functioning I can finally get around to cutting holes. I am still not sure where I'm going to install the thruster, I would like it at the front but routing the wiring would become very difficult, fitting it at the back would be simpler but it would be less effective. The sonar will get installed on the rear of the sub at the bottom, there isn't really anywhere else it can go.

I have been giving the sub more thought on how to manage its ballast. So currently it has a main ballast bladder ran with a geared pump and a trim ballast bladder with a tiny 5v peristaltic pump at the back of the WTC for levelling the sub. The main ballast can be manually controlled but it's eventually going to be controlled using external water pressure for depth control and the trim pump can be manually controlled, but I'm going to connect it into the inav stabilised output using logic switches so it can trim the sub automatically.

After its issue last time when i couldn't get it to resurface, I have been thinking of adding an emergency ballast system, basically there is some free space outside the WTC at either end of the sub so I'm thinking I could add a bladder at each end that I can fill with air from the main WTC if it has issues with the main ballast.

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 pm