The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
model submarine test tank on the cheap EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

3 posters

model submarine test tank on the cheap

merriman
    merriman

model submarine test tank on the cheap Empty model submarine test tank on the cheap

Post  merriman Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Both model boats and submarines have to be trimmed out so that they float at the designed waterline -- and in the case of a submarine, while it's immersed in the water it is commanded to sink to see how close to neutral buoyancy it's at. Coupled with the task of established submerged displacement the test tank permits observation of the 'at rest' pitch and roll orientation of the boat.

Calculations will take you only so far, but the real work is practical observation and adjustment in water deep enough to accommodate the model submarine -- a test tank deep enough to permit the submerged submarine to sink and not hit the bottom of the test tank once completely under.

You can press the house tub into service, spend several hundred bucks for a galvanized steel animal trough, or you can go cheap and use one of those long and tall plastic dry-goods container outfitted with suitable strengthening elements to keep if from distorting one filled with water. That's what I did recently -- a lot easier than running up-stairs to use the bath-tub. Walmart has 'em for about twenty-bucks.

model submarine test tank on the cheap TIXmR3

A quick trip to the back-yard #1 shed secured the wood needed to stiffen the plastic container (test tank) and reinforce the big card-table that supports everything. Without the reinforcement at the long sides of the flimsy plastic tank, it would bow out with the water pushing it out of shape, making the thing nearly useless. I also strengthened the underside of the card-table with a pair of two-by-fours to keep it from buckling under the weight of the filled test tank.

model submarine test tank on the cheap 3mHuAt

model submarine test tank on the cheap NhT4Pd

model submarine test tank on the cheap 3m81wL

I had things done in half a day. Once filled with water I went about the task of checking out the five boats I'm bringing to the Groton Officer's Lake fun-run next week. And, in a few weeks after that, I'll use this test tank to check out six new boats I'm readying for the Newport News Fall Festival and NC City Lake all 1/96 'fleet run'. I'm old, fat, and don't want to schlep things between shop and up-stairs bath-tub as I adjust foam and fixed ballast weight as I trim out a boat. The new outside test tank is right outside the shop door. Perfect!

model submarine test tank on the cheap HtrYl9

model submarine test tank on the cheap JkJXKC

David
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

model submarine test tank on the cheap Empty Re: model submarine test tank on the cheap

Post  timgarrod Thu May 24, 2018 5:11 pm

what a brilliant idea
    merriman
    merriman

model submarine test tank on the cheap Empty Re: model submarine test tank on the cheap

Post  merriman Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm

timgarrod wrote:what a brilliant idea

The plastic 'tank' is readily available, cheap, and does not require much in the way of carpentry to make practical.

I did the same thing for a smaller in-the-shop test tank for the WTC's and small scale r/c submarines. The shallower and smaller in length plastic containers can also be pressed into test-tank service, and without supports on the sides:

model submarine test tank on the cheap 9iFevO

model submarine test tank on the cheap G4ZbMK

model submarine test tank on the cheap 4JItnq

David
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Sat May 26, 2018 6:25 pm

David,
    I keep learning from you! Every photo seems to have a nugget of information.
    Thank you!
    Peace,
    Tom

Post  merriman Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 pm

salmon wrote:David,
    I keep learning from you! Every photo seems to have a nugget of information.
    Thank you!
    Peace,
    Tom

Just passing it on, Tom. Something we're all obligated to do … if the Craft is to survive.

David

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:11 am