The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

"***"

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» WW2 mini sub build
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 12:17 pm by SimonH

» 27Mhz - Radio Ideas
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyWed Sep 28, 2022 5:55 pm by tsenecal

» USS Bluefish
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyWed Sep 28, 2022 5:48 pm by tsenecal

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2022 11:35 am by david f

» 915mhz / 868mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 12:35 pm by geofrancis

» JSN-SR04T Depth sounder
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptySat Sep 10, 2022 11:19 am by geofrancis

» Grantham Model Sub Day, Sunday 14th August 2022
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 pm by david f

» Sheringham 2022
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 1:51 pm by david f

» Craycraft WTC
Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 4:52 pm by timgarrod

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 11758 messages in 1929 subjects

We have 967 registered users

The newest registered user is CaptainAJG

2 posters

Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  Empty Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat

Post  david f Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:24 am

Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  20220410

I have been having a go with these, with the aim of using it to display telemetry without problems of visibility in sunlight. (Yes, we do get some in Northern England!)

It is a neat e paper unit that plugs directly into the Pico (which ARE cheap) BUT the software side is not very easy.

C was not easy to use on it but Python (which I don't know very well) was much more straightforward. It seemed to be much better setup for use with a Raspberry Pi than a Windows machine. That's no surprise really.

LATER EDIT (Aug 2022) : Using Python on the excellent Thonny IDE has given better results running on Windows 11. (C using Visual Studio Code 2019 is still very fiddly.) The problem is that the there are not many Python examples in the Waveshare source so the e paper screen gives the data in a small font with a lot of garbage! Just about usable but can be read in sunlight with reading glasses!

LATER LATER EDIT (Aug 2022) : Spoke too soon! Thonny 4 has stopped working with the following error message. "Unable to connect to COM20: port not found. Process ended with exit code 1." Back to the Arduino I think and it's nice IDE.

I really disliked the way that you have to upload software to the Pico. (You plug it in while pressing a button on the back. Very tedious but I see that people are looking at software solutions.)

So I ended up going back to an Arduino. (As you can see in the photo) You realize how well developed the Arduino IDE is and with all that support from the Community.

It turns out that the e Paper support is  a bit limited too so I think my new Telemetry display will be a little slow in development!

So I think I will have a look at the Pico again when it matures a little.

David

Last edited by david f on Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:24 am; edited 4 times in total

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat  Empty Re: Raspberry Pi Pico + ePaper display hat

Post  geofrancis Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:21 am

I remember seeing this a while ago, it might be usefull
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqXqavwmACQ

david f likes this post

Current date/time is Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:14 pm