The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Making end caps EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Making end caps EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Making end caps EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Making end caps EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Making end caps EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Making end caps EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Making end caps EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Making end caps EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Making end caps EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

Similar topics

+4
Kevin D
david f
nigele(ADMIN)2
Tom(ADMIN)
8 posters

Making end caps

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Making end caps Empty Making end caps

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Now here's something some of you guys could post up on here...how do you make your end caps for your wtc's?

There must be an easy way to make a set of end caps, surely...?

Making end caps Empty Re: Making end caps

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

That is easy boss.........

Ask me!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Mark.
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:29 am

If you have a Lathe it's easy, so I assume we are talking about making end caps without the use of a lathe,firstly cut out of 1/8th perspex with a jigsaw or a fretsaw a disc that is just a shade bigger than the inside dia of the tube you are ussing then with a sanding block sand down the outside dia of the disc until it just fits inside the tube,next cut another disc out of 1/4 or 3/8 perspex or polycarbonate this one should be about 1/2 inch larger than the od of the tube you are ussing again sand down the od with a sanding block,now you need to bond the small disc to the large disc taking care to make sure that it is central,when dry slip a 1/16 o'ring over the od of small dia disc,drill the larger disc for the tie rods and you have an end cap,you do not have to be deadly acurate with the sanding of the outer dia's as the seal seats on the face of the disc and the end of the tube the caps are only a means of holding the seal in place,the caps can be bonded together with liquid poly, give it a try its easy.
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 am

just thought I would add that Brian Alps has for years now much to my amasement been using the method as above but he uses plywood instead of perspex or poly,and the only problem he has ever had is woodworm!!!!!!!!!!
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 am

I basically use the same method as Nigel but I use an O ring that seals against the inside of the tube , so I cut a slot in the outer edge of the disk. (See the photo in the build log section for the U uPVC sub.)

I use polycarbonate disks bonded with that liquid adhesive stuff. (I didn't know that you could use liquid cyano for this, interesting.)

I too have long admired Brian's wooden end caps but I think they look better in the living room than in a submarine!
    Kevin D

Post  Kevin D Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:00 am

nigele(ADMIN)2 wrote:If you have a Lathe it's easy, so I assume we are talking about making end caps without the use of a lathe,firstly cut out of 1/8th perspex with a jigsaw or a fretsaw a disc that is just a shade bigger than the inside dia of the tube you are ussing then with a sanding block sand down the outside dia of the disc until it just fits inside the tube,next cut another disc out of 1/4 or 3/8 perspex or polycarbonate this one should be about 1/2 inch larger than the od of the tube you are ussing again sand down the od with a sanding block,now you need to bond the small disc to the large disc taking care to make sure that it is central,when dry slip a 1/16 o'ring over the od of small dia disc,drill the larger disc for the tie rods and you have an end cap,you do not have to be deadly acurate with the sanding of the outer dia's as the seal seats on the face of the disc and the end of the tube the caps are only a means of holding the seal in place,the caps can be bonded together with liquid poly, give it a try its easy.    

If like me you're no good with a jigsaw and your circles look more like hexagons or just lazy, check out the link below, they sell ready cut discs from 40mm to 400mm in diameter and thicknesses of 2mm to 8mm. All that may be required is a little sanding of the inner disc to get it to fit the internal diameter of the tube.

I love ebay!!! ..... Well sometimes!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361046759795?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=630387018562&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Post  Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Has anyone tried 3D printed end caps?
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 am

Some useful discussion here by BuxtonRob (as part of another discussion):

https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t1787-prop-rpm-help-requested#10728

I have been using my very basic Tronxy X1 3D printer to good effect producing superstructure and deck fittings on my E11 sub using PLA but I haven't made anything really structural and waterproof (I am worried about the porosity of 3D printed parts. I have a lathe and so turn endcaps from polycarbonate.)

I have also heard of people using 3D printed parts as masters to cast items. I've even heard of people using PLA  in "lost wax" (lost PLA??) casting. I've even heard that for aerospace they 3D print items with a Titanium/plastic mix that they then sinter, to produce a light fantastic!

It is a rather exciting technology that seems to be coming together.

David

Post  Guest Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you for the link. I have heard both good and bad when it comes to PLA and water. Some say it works fine, others say it doesn't.

The amazing thing with this project is the ability to combine several lose parts into one part. Adding different materials for different applications makes for endless customizations and designs. Possible weight savings, number of parts, the reproduction of parts, the time and cost of producing parts and so on.

3D printing/additive manufacturing is just going to get bigger and better.
    cliffhanger7

Making end caps Empty Making end caps for WTC

Post  cliffhanger7 Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm

I finally just bit the bullet as they say, bought a table top lathe. My boats use a 2” od WTC. I design &make my own end caps.
    Use Delrin, PVC, or Bakelite.
    If anyone needs an end cap, let me know. I may be able to help.
    tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm

SWEnick wrote:Has anyone tried 3D printed end caps?

I know this original post is now basically two years old, and you have since purchased a lathe....

but the world changes...

i bought my lathe 15 years ago, i bought my second (resin lcd) 3d printer a month ago.

the prints from the lcd printer are beautiful, and i am absolutely certain that 90% of all my masters for rubber molds will be made on that printer.  the resolution on that printer is high enough that anything up to a 4" endcap would be no problem.  with things like pockets for o-rings around pushrods and motor shafts already molded in.

the final kicker:

the 3d printer was only $190...
    the lathe was $500...
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am

Tim,
    I bought a resin 3D printer a several months ago. Love it.
    I got the Elegoo Pro. Definitely a learning curve, but so worth it.
    Peace,
    Tom

Post  tsenecal Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Tom,

mine is the standard elegoo mars... once it got below the $200 "throw away" category i picked it up.

using the elegoo is actually less bother than using the FDM printer. everyone talks about how messy they are, but they are no messier than casting parts using traditional resins. elegoo's slicer software is dead simple. i was printing real (not sample) prints in about an hour.

Making end caps 20201010

david f likes this post

Cheapsub

Post  Cheapsub Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Is time to scan ourselves, then 3D print them out. As captain of our boats.
    Tim, nice "tool", time to turn my old wood 3d printer to firewood.

david f likes this post

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am