The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

2 posters

Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps?

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? Empty Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps?

Post  david f Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 am

A rather interesting link from John Main of C for Microcontrollers.

http://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/rechrgbatprotect

Let us know if you use the circuit principle. I already use a MOSFET in a slightly similar way as an on/off switch (Triggered by magnet and reed switch.)

David
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? Empty LIPO PROTECTION PERHAPS LOL

Post  johnrobinson Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

HI David
    Problem with lipos is you need to monitor each cell in the pack because one cell will always go down in voltage first, you should not really take a cell down below 2.95V or you risk damageing the cell. The circuit that you showed will just monitor the hole pack and that is not the way to do it.

If you had a 3 cell pack of lipos just say 1 cell was at 3.5v and the next was at 3.5v but the last cell was at 3v the 3v cell should be switching the power off to speed controller or what ever but if you put 3.5 and 3.5v together would make 7v plus 3v for the cell that should be turning the power off add voltage up it comes to 10v but if you carried on discharging pack down to 9volts the cell that was at 3volts when the pack voltage was at 10volts by the time it got to 9volts would now be damaged and that is how you would slowly cream cracker a lipo pack. This is just the basic idea that's why it is the best thing to monitor all cells in the pack, say you went to 10 cells now gets worse and becomes more important to monitor the cells
    SUB JOHN
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps? Empty Re: Simple, elegant voltage shut off - Lipo protection perhaps?

Post  david f Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:06 am

Hi John,

In a perfect world it would be best to monitor each cell but it can make it much more complicated.

I think you are speaking more of aircraft applications - many cells and drawing very high amps.

The lipos I have used in subs for several years are only 3 cells and I only draw about an amp. In these circumstances I suspect you don't get big voltage differences between cells and I always balance charge them. I also don't push my luck and sail for too long (I have never had a low voltage alarm.)

So I think in the absence of anything else this type of circuit would give your Lipo a good level of protection.

David

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 am