The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

3 posters

U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering

U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering Empty U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering

Post  2051476 Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Need a Little advice.
    I'm having fluttering on my rudders and dive planes when I activate the Engel 824EA using the Engel UNI

Prior to adding the UNI and Piston Tank all three servos and ESC worked perfectly Since this is my first R/C I was patting myself on my back, but alas too soon, I guess?

Here's what I'm using Rx Futaba R168DF (75mhz in US), Rokraft 120uP, Engal EA825-6 Channels. Rx Cannels 1+2 Rudder and Rear Dive Plane, Channel 3 ESC, Channel 4 Front Dive Plane, Channel 5 the Engal Piston Tank. I disconnected the center lead (White) from the RX to the ESC. During my testing I'm using a battery pack for Rx power but will be using a BEC.

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing the servos to flutter when the Piston Tank is activated? Per Engel the Motor has built in noise suppression. I have added noise suppression on the two motors

Thanks John
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering Empty Re: U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering

Post  david f Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 am

Hi John,

You have had a good reply to the same question posted on Model Boat Mayhem. But in addition unplug one item of equipment at a time and see when the problem goes.

However it is a "black art" sorting it out. Some contributing factors can be:

- Servo use a high current when they move and this can produce voltage spikes which trigger all the other servos and so produce the "flutter" (Try unplugging some.)
    - I've even found that outside conditions can produce interference e.g fluorescent lighting in your workshop.
    - Try to separate control wiring from high current wiring.
    - BECS can be a problem. Switch mode BECs can be bad for interference (Info from John R)
    - Ferrite rings are often worth trying.
    A good discussion on the topic here:
    https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t362-preventing-interference?highlight=interference

David
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

U-47 Electronics Issues Servo Fluttering Empty servo fluttering

Post  johnrobinson Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 pm

HI John
    This sounds like you have a ground loop problem, back emf from piston tank motor from what you said the problem only happens when you plug that part of the circuit in to RX, one thing i would try is the wires coming off motor on piston tank try and make the wires a little longer and twist them together tight put the twisted wires around a ferrite ring about 8 times and then take back to control board. Do the same thing with wires coming from control board for piston tank that plugs in to RX I know that you said you have put sirpression on motor on piston tank trouble is caps needs to be worked out for the frequency you are using to control the sub, you could always put across the motor a bipolar cap that they use in speakers i have seen this work quite well. What somebody said about taking earth wire from metal can of motor back to neg on battery was spot on that is the right thing to do, all neg wires should go back to the same point neg on main battery. Little tip on using BEC a lot of BEC,S regs work by switching high frequency at about 300 KHZ i have seen people loss about half of there range with the radio try and go for a linear reg i have been playing about with one that will give about 5AMPS

What is a good thing to do is twist all power cables together as what you are doing by doing this is forming capacitance down the wires and will take out high frequency noise
    Hope that helps Sub John

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am