The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

4 posters

Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes

Hermann
    Hermann
    AMS member

Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes Empty Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes

Post  Hermann Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello everyone,

some of our submarine models have fin planes and it would be consequent to make them working by radio control. To control them independently from the other planes you need an additional servo and a force transmission to the fin planes. In general this raises the difficulty how to get this transmission sealed and make it easy to decouple as the fin is normally mounted on deck and for getting access to the interior of the pressure hull (or the WTC) you would have to decouple the plane drive normally.
    I suppose that there are already suitable solutions found by other modellers and that they are doing the job well.
    For myself I have found a solution that uses magnetic coupling between the servo inside the pressure hull and the fin planes outside and I have implemented this coupling in my class 212A submarine model (see sketch and photograph, I hope the pictures will speak for themselves).
    Due to the magnetic coupling it is easy to strip-off the pressure hull tube (with the conning tower on it) from the inner technics rack that contains the servo – and vice versa when reassembling the parts.
    And this solution does not require any seal because transmission is provided by magnetic force just through the pressure hull tube wall. That is always tight and that is important for a submarine when “rolling in the deep”.

Maybe this might be an interesting alternative also for other submarine modellers among us.

Kind regards
    Hermann

Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes Turmru11Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes Magnet11
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes Empty Re: Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 am

Brilliant designs!
    Regards,
    Giovanni
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes Empty Re: Magnetic coupling to drive fin planes

Post  david f Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 am

Very nice idea!

I was impressed by the magnetic linkages which Harry B was also using at Edinburgh this Sunday.
    Resolution Rog
    Resolution Rog

Post  Resolution Rog Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Hermann,
    great ideas, just a quick question. If I place these magnets in the WTP what are the chances of their magnatism interfering with the receiver, leveller etc.

many thanks

Roger
    Hermann
    Hermann
    AMS member

Post  Hermann Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello Roger,

for a few days I was not online so my reply comes with a delay.

Concerning your question there is no need to worry because the coupling magnets for itselves have a constant (static) magnetic field.
    If they are not moved there will not be any electromagnetic induction of interfering voltages in electric circuitries. In practice there is also no effect of the static stray field to magnetic components inside the receivers (ferrite cores of filter inductors).
    When in motion the magnets can of course induce voltages in conductor loops (that is a basic physical law), the magnitude depends upon the loop area, the speed and the magnetic field strength (magnetic flux density). But as the speeds and the other parameters are really low you can really forget about these theoretical considearations.

If you think about magnetic couplings rare earth magnets can provide strong coupling between the inner and the outer magnet groups. Butwhen using rare earth magnets you should take care and seal them carefully from water by the moulding as the magnetic material is very sensitive to corrosion in water. Normally these magnets have a nickel plating that makes them shine in silver but this nickel plating is rather thin and may get some very fine cracks (especially when you play with the magnets and let them hit together) so that water can penetrate.
    Ferrite magnets are an alternative; they are relative weak but complete immune to corrosion.

If you have an application where magnetic couplings were suited I can only encourage you to try and make your own experiences.

Best regards
    Hermann
    Resolution Rog
    Resolution Rog

Post  Resolution Rog Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Hermann,

many thanks for your detailed reply, I am building a tube at present and will use magnets to attach dive planes etc. When I get arround to that part, I'll put some pictures here showing my attempts.

thanks again

Roger

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am