The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Lipo Batteries EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Lipo Batteries EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Lipo Batteries EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Lipo Batteries EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Lipo Batteries EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Lipo Batteries EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Lipo Batteries EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Lipo Batteries EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Lipo Batteries EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

2 posters

Lipo Batteries

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Lipo Batteries Empty Lipo Batteries

Post  david f Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm

We have had a few enquiries about Lipos in submarines and I thought it would be worth sharing my experiences.

I have used them in both the Holland, Resurgam and now the Dzik (U uPVC class) for about 3 years with good results.

No fires or explosions just one dead battery after only 3 charges (£25 down the spout.Boo Hoo!)

This may have been a faulty battery or the fact that I was not using a balancer charger then.

The Lipos I use are about 1800mAh capacity and give a "typical" duration of about 30 minutes which is fine for show or club use.

I now use a very simple Turnigy Compact Balance Charger C3 with good results.

I use a "home brewed" low voltage alarm which can be heard close too.

This could be improved but LED's need connecting up, waterproof connections etc. The commercial BEC's often seem to warn low voltage by cutting the throttle, which is not that noticeable in a sub.

Suggestions please?
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Lipo Batteries Empty Re: Lipo Batteries

Post  david f Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

I forgot to add that I have not burned the house down yet! I have been charging them on ceramic tiles and storing them in Pyrex dishes.

I've just ordered a couple of "Lipo Sacks" from ebay for about £4 each which may be a better way to go.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Lipo Batteries Empty Re: Lipo Batteries

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

I've only ever used LiPo's in my Chinook heli, so I haven't had that much experience with them, I was going to fit a LiPo pack in the little Kilo because of the size and weight of the pack, but I was told that I could'nt run the radio from them, so I never did use them.

The packs I had always worked perfectly, and I can't say I ever had any issues with charging them either...the charger that came with the Chinook was a balanced one, and I'd run a pack through, land...put that one on charge in a Pyrex dish, plug the other charged pack in, and off we'd go again. I was warned that I should let the packs cool down before recharging them, but to be perfectly honest, I never did, and there were no nasty bangs or emissions of smoke from them at all.

The Biber will use either a 12volt 5.5 amp gel cell or a set of 10 nicads depending on what room I have left after all the other bits and bobs are installed, so there won't be a chance of using Lipo's in that.

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am