The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

Similar topics

+2
Deep Diver (Fred)
Tom(ADMIN)
6 posters

Models By Design Biber build up...

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Empty Re: Models By Design Biber build up...

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

The wtc is now completed and it fits...and it works. The end caps are on their way back to Paul H to have 1mm shaved off all round, they were just a touch too big.

I was going to install a 12v 4.5a/h gel cell up in the bows, but it didn't fit (grrr!) so I've ordered a 12volt 3700a/h nicad pack specially made to fit the space available.

Flood holes are drilled, shaft is temporarily fitted, so next job is to make a start on the detailing of the conning tower, finish off the 'scopes, and then make up the few bits on the deck.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Dsci0021

I think I've worked out how to release the torpedoes, but that entails much brass work, so there's a job for my tame engineer. A friend in Bristol is getting the metal work that supports the rudder and rear dive plane made up for me, and as you know, Alfie is going to make the torpedoes operational.

Without the help of Alfie, Andrew Gray and his friend Terry, Dave at ACTion Electronics, Kevin Coombs, Ramesh, Andy Lawrence, Andy Oakley, and the two Paul's...Cook and Holman, I wouldn't have even got this far with the build...I thank you all for your advice, assistance and hard work on my behalf.

Last edited by Richard(Admin) on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Empty Re: Models By Design Biber build up...

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 am

Starting to add the detail to the conning tower today...here's the first piece, which I presume would be a spray or wave deflector, I'm not exactly sure what it is.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Detail10
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:40 pm

And the four lower plates made and glued into position. Spot of filler when the glue is dried, and that's that bit done.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Dsci0022
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

And a bit more work done...front and rear lifting eyes made up and fitted.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image019
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 am

I've done a bit more detail work this morning, started adding the various access hatch covers, fuelling pipes, etc. Each access cover needs six bolt heads added, so I'm going to do that by using blobs of superglue gel, and also the all the weld lines I'll do using the same method. They look really good done like that...it's easy to do once you have your eye in. My old mate Andy from our sister forum www.radiocontrolmodelboats.com came up with the idea, and it works so well.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image023

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image024

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image025
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 pm

And the exhaust vent made from a section of plastic kit sprue and two brass washers fitted.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image031
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

And a bit more deck detail done...I haven't a clue what the little elongated triangle shaped mast on the bow is or what it does, I'm guessing it could be a sighting device of some description. But whatever it is, here's my rendition of it.

Next job is drill the holes in the access covers and ad the bolts to each one, six per hatch. I was lucky enough to acquire some 1mm diameter brass bolts, so that's what I'll be using.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Dsci0023
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 pm

And a bit more...

The pilot's hatch wheel and the exhaust stub made and fitted.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Dsci0024
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 pm

And here's the Biber so far...my good friend Andy Oakley is making up the rudder and dive vane for me from alloy, he's a master at that sort of stuff.

I hope to get the windows cut out over the weekend, then they can be glazed internally.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Dsci0026
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Onwards and upwards...in between sailing my Neptune, domestic chores, and a nasty angina attack which laid me low for a couple of days, I have managed to get the battery tray made and fitted, and today I've just fixed the WTC fittings down.

I admit to 'borrowing' Mark's (grimreaper) idea of using velcro strip to secure the WTC into the hull (thanks Mark...hope you don't mind me nicking your idea?)

It's so simple...why have I never used this before? A strip of velcro bolted through the hull (I used two because the WTC is quite long), drop the tube in place, pull the velcro together...job done. Brilliant idea.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image034

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image111

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Image112
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 am

Good stuff Velcro.

I also use it to hold external ballast weights on.(For last minute pond side trim adjustments.)
    Also magnets for cut off switches.

Black Velcro on a subs hull hardly shows.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed May 04, 2011 6:39 am

I've used it for various things, but never to hold a cylinder in place before...it's so simple, better than brass strips with nuts n' bolts holding the ends together, invariably the nut or the bold gets dropped and then you're stuck.

I'm a velcro convert from now on!
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Thu May 05, 2011 9:45 pm

woahhh their Richard that looks a nice bit of kit realy nice but just a slight correction I cant take credit for the velcro idea mate that is all down to Chris at Sheerline apparently he used to use brass straps and a nut and bolt but did away with the idea and started to us the velcro but hey keep going with the sub looks good so far I am looking and learning ready for my next build just as soon as I sell my U47.

Regards Mark

just remembered Richard dont forget that if you tighten the velcro down dry they will strech when they get wet just make sure you check the tightness when you get them wet

Mark
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Mark,

Promise you won't tell Chris I stole his idea! I'm really impressed with it though, it is so easy...oh, and thanks for tip, I didn't realise velcro stretched like that.

What you thinking of for your next build then? Any ideas as yet?
    thegrimreaper
    thegrimreaper

Post  thegrimreaper Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

got to be careful Richard wife is over my shouler but looking at getting a typhoon always loved the looks of the model just got to save the best part in cash then put it on the flexible friend if hwmbo aint lookin ha ha

regards mark
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 am

Ooh, a Typhoon...they sure are a evil looking beast in my opinion, they always look menacing to me.

Watch out for wives over the shoulder mate...gets you into a lot of trouble!!
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm

nice, tidy work there Rich where's the weld lines the stand looks good aswell
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Haven't started on the weld lines yet mate, they'll come later on. Still fathoming out the electrics...
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Mon May 16, 2011 9:47 pm

How long is she mate?
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Believe it or not, she will be 52" with the rudder fitted...I couldn't believe it, it looked tiny alongside the Laffy and the LA.
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm

wow i'd have said no more than 36"-40" max mate
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Just copied this from MBD's website...

Scale: 1:6.8
    Hull: 51 inch
    Beam: 5.1/2 inch
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm

The build had stalled for a while, I've been waiting on a few bits to arrive from various places, but thanks to Andy Oakley (tattooed) the rudder and rear plane are finished and on the way.

Once they arrive, I can crack on and get all the important bits installed...wtc, rudder and plane linkages, and the propshaft can be fitted permanently once I make the skeg for it.

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Andy_m10

Models By Design Biber build up... - Page 2 Andy_m12

Seems a shame to paint them!
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm

just glad i could help Rich
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks mate..I'm glad you could help as well.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm