The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia Empty Help to identify WW2 British subs (war graves?) off Tunisia

Post  david f Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 am

I wonder if anyone can help Jean-Pierre with 1:50 drawings of S,T & U class submarines?

(I've copied our emails for information.)

David

DEAR SIRS,
    TO CORRELATE SONAR IMAGES OF BRITISH SUBMARINES LOCATED IN LIBYA AND TUNISIA , I WOULD NEED PLANS OF CLASS S , T , U  BOATS.
    I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN PLAN VIEW AND SIDE VIEW OF
    S CLASS  P222
    T CLASS  TIGRIS and TALISMAN
    U CLASS  USURPER and UTMOST
    IS THERE ANY CHANCE YOU WOULD HAVE THOSE OR THAT YOU WOULD SUGGEST   ANOTHER SOURCE ?
    WITH THANKS AND BEST REGARDS
    JEAN-PIERRE MISSON    BRUSSELS

Hi Jean-Pierre,

The best, easily available and reasonably priced plans are probably these "John Lambert" plans available here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mmi_submarines.html

These are good for the U and  T class.

The S class is more of a problem but I have attached some photos from a book taken with my mobile!

The absolutely best place to get this information would be the RN Submarine Museum, Gosport and the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich but I hope I've helped.

Can I make reference to your search on our Forum? People are often interested and helpful.

Kind regards,

David Forrest

Hello David,

Thank you very much for coming to my rescue ...
    I am looking for drawings 1:50  scale , of British  S , T , U   Class Submarines ...
    ...Drawings that show all the particulars in Plan View (Deck and Bridge) and Side View.
    This is to compare to the sonar images I have obtained from some wrecks (S , T , U Class) .
    I need no Sectional View(s) : I am only after "outside" aspects.
    The small drawings that appear on the list you have kindly forwarded to me would not help : they are useful
    to modelists but unfortunately not for my search.

For the three Italian submarines I have sonar located , I have obtained excellent 1:50 scale drawings from two
    Modelists Associations , both in Bologna , Italy : G.C.N. (Gruppo Cultura Navale) and A.N.B. (Associazione
    Navimodellisti Bologna).  The submarines are all of the  WWII era.
    A complete set of drawings costs between 50 and 70 €.

I wonder why it is so difficult to find 1:50 drawings for the British Submarines of that same period  ?
    I would love getting this Question posted on your Forum  !

After I have pre-identified a wreck as being British or Italian (from the overall look and very often from the
    short after casing on most British subs) , then the Class (mainly from the overall length) and then further
    limiting the list of candidates (from books and data available on the Net) I arrive at a "Tentative Name".
    The tentative names I now have to ascertain are : USURPER  UTMOST   P222  TIGRIS  TALISMAN.
    All five wrecks lie off Tabarka , Tunisia , in what must have been a naval mine barrage 1942-1943.
    The depth is 65 - 80 m , a little too deep for recreational diving and someone nearing ...79.

The Defence Attaché , British Embassy Tunis , has been informed and there will probably be a full
    investigation by some Navy divers (British or Tunisian or italian) sometime in the future.
    My aim is to try and confirm the (tentative) Names with additional analysis of the sonar images :
    correlating what I see on them to what I see on vintage pictures and drawings.
    I have a fair amount of vintage pictures for the candidates but no picture will ever match a  1:50  drawing.
    Hence my quest ...

With thanks and kind regards  
    Jean-Pierre

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:40 am