The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Disillusioned Ex Flyer  EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

4 posters

Disillusioned Ex Flyer

OldGunner
    AMS member

Disillusioned Ex Flyer  Empty Disillusioned Ex Flyer

Post  OldGunner Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Greetings

Decided to build a model submarine as nearly new hobby, just failed my PPL medical and finding retirement just a little tedious. Since I had back in the late 80's built HMS Resolution (with the help of REME workshop who drilled the multitude of holes in exchange for beer ) the kit was supplied by a really nice chap in Birmingham, very helpful cannot remember his name.
    Somebody told me about a Hong Kong company that sells WTC and accessories, would any member have contact details please?

Bill
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Disillusioned Ex Flyer  Empty Re: Disillusioned Ex Flyer

Post  John Wrennall Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi Bill and welcome.

check out this site for bespoke WTC's (just one of many)

http://www.rcsubs.co.uk/contact-us

Regards
    John
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 am

Welcome Bill!

John has just prodded my conscience and so I have added a quick and dirty list of potential WTC suppliers. I have never used any of them because I make my own. But let us know how you get on. (The Hong Kong supplier you may be thinking of is Arkmodel of whom I have been given mixed reports.)

David
    OldGunner
    AMS member

Post  OldGunner Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:51 pm

John Wrennall wrote:Hi Bill and welcome.

check out this site for bespoke WTC's (just one of many)

http://www.rcsubs.co.uk/contact-us

Regards
    John

John

I initially thought of the Krick type V11 on reflection your suggestion looks rather good, thank you.
    Crossie
    AMS member

Post  Crossie Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:00 pm

OldGunner wrote:Greetings

Decided to build a model submarine as nearly new hobby, just failed my PPL medical and finding retirement just a little tedious. Since I had back in the late 80's built HMS Resolution (with the help of REME workshop who drilled the multitude of holes in exchange for beer ) the kit was supplied by a really nice chap in Birmingham, very helpful cannot remember his name.
    Somebody told me about a Hong Kong company that sells WTC and accessories, would any member have contact details please?

Bill

Hi Bill,
    Welcome, and as a fellow PPL holder my commiserations on losing your Medical, and although I could still get through mine I share your thread title of 'disillusioned ex-flyer' but closing my logbook was more due to the ever increasing hastle and regulation. Anyway building a smoothly working submarine is probably as challenging as many flying activities and with enough variation of dive systems to keep any retirees tedium at bay!

Regards,
    Trevor
    OldGunner
    AMS member

Post  OldGunner Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Crossie wrote:
    OldGunner wrote:Greetings

Bill

Hi Bill,
                 Welcome, and as a fellow PPL holder my commiserations on losing your Medical, and although I could still get through mine I share your thread title of 'disillusioned ex-flyer' but closing my logbook was more due to the ever increasing hastle and regulation. Anyway building a smoothly working submarine is probably as challenging as many flying activities and with enough variation of dive systems to keep any retirees tedium at bay!

Regards,
                       Trevor

Would appear I could fly a microlight but only solo so thought I would go back to model subs to the delight of my wife that models could not be as expensive as flying , she may be very wrong! If you know anybody who wants 50% of a Tiger Moth do let me know. In the meantime have ordered a Skipjack a suitable start looking at using the R&R dive system .

Bill
    Crossie
    AMS member

Post  Crossie Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am

Well Bill, after over 50 years of military and commercial aircraft engineering, and having built two aircraft for myself and co-built one for another person, five years ago I vowed that I'd never fly, fix or have anything to do with private aircraft and I've found that there are certainly enough challenges in scratch building a working submarine and such a range of systems that I'll never do them all, so I don't think tedium is any serious threat!
    All of my old aviation buddies are similarly long in the tooth/ teeth! but should I happen to hear of anyone wanting 50% of a Tiggie I'll certainly point them your way, and that would fund a goodly few subs!!

Trevor

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm