The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

4 posters

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca)

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Empty What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca)

Post  david f Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 am

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5110

Much to the exasperation of my other half, I always seem to find a sub while on holiday! (I think Steve J has a similar problem!)

So where is it and what is it?

David

Last edited by david f on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Empty Re: What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca)

Post  david f Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 am

Has everyone given up!?

(Answer on Saturday)

David
    Crossie
    AMS member

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Empty What is that sub?

Post  Crossie Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Quite a puzzle David! That looks like an American .50 cal machine gun fitted to the fore end stand, the periscopes seem not to have any shrouds though perhaps have been removed.

Where? Looks like a Mediterranean location to me, Italian style lamp posts along the pavement and the building in the background, European cars.

???????????

Anyway I'm sure that you enjoyed the holiday!

Trevor
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Empty Re: What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca)

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 am

I have no idea. It looks older than the Gato/Balao style because of the shears, but having a platform before the sail is WWII style. Narwhal class? Although this photo looks smaller than that.
    The sail also looks a little like a German sub, but not completely again that platform in the front.
    I am at a loss for suggestions.
    Crossie
    AMS member

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Empty what is that sub

Post  Crossie Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Several of my younger years were spent /misspent enjoying Mediterranean living and I've had another long look at the details in the photo and compared them with places that I've been and I now think that those are French Colonial period style lamp posts not Italian and the roof line looks Tuscan, so I reckon you enjoyed a visit to Corsica, the sub has got to be French though what class I do not know............

But a little Google-ing says that this sub Casabianca and is to be found at Bastia.

Nice place for a holiday, great food and wine!!

Trevor
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:20 am

Very good both!!

(Trevor, I'm impressed that you got the location by identifying French Colonial era lamp posts!)

It is indeed the Casabianca (Not Casablanca interestingly)

We got off the bus on our first morning and there it was, the superstructure of a sub.

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5111

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5112

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5113

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5114

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5115

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5116

What is that sub? (French submarine Casabianca) Img_5117

And she had a interesting story to tell when I looked her up on the net. Her brave and resourceful captain and crew secretly managed to get her fueled and armed  and then sneaked the sub out of Toulon when German forces tried to impound all Vichy  French naval assets.

She was then used to carry men and materials to Corsica to supply the Maquis resistance movement. On one of her first trips to Corsica she carried men from the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) (The precursor to the CIA)

They were all very successful and Corsica became the first part of France to become liberated from Italian and German occupation in 1943.

And yes it was a very nice holiday direct by Eurostar train to Marseille and then 3 days in Bastia, Ajaccio and Calvi also by train.

More information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Casabianca_%28Q183%29

http://ww2today.com/30th-july-1943-the-covert-supply-mission-of-the-casabianca-is-discovered

http://theleansubmariner.com/2012/11/27/escape-of-the-casabianca/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142150/
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Thank you. That is a nice bit of history, I did not know about. It was also nice brain teaser.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am