The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
You'll never guess... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
You'll never guess... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
You'll never guess... EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
You'll never guess... EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
You'll never guess... EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
You'll never guess... EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
You'll never guess... EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
You'll never guess... EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
You'll never guess... EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

3 posters

You'll never guess...

AdamD98
    AMS member

You'll never guess... Empty You'll never guess...

Post  AdamD98 Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm

...yes that's right, I'm a new member!

Hi all, I'm Adam. Not a newbie to model building, but an absolute newbie to submarine modelling.

I have built (mostly) modern British surface warships, and modern tugs for towing. I am ex RN, I have a varied and sometimes strange sense of humour (warped perhaps) and can generally be found either in the workshop, the gym or the outdoors. If not not in any of these places...check the nearest bar.

Ok, so I've toyed with the idea of a sub for the last few years, and actually had a HMS Upholder kit at one point but I had to many projects on at the time. (Still do!).

Now, I have certain interests and ambitions and so it was time to join a forum dedicated to the subject!

I am initially looking to build modern British (Trafalgar for example), but in future projects I'm fascinated with Disney's Nautilus.

Anyway, enough waffle from me!
    merriman
    merriman

You'll never guess... Empty Re: You'll never guess...

Post  merriman Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:33 pm

AdamD98 wrote:...yes that's right, I'm a new member!

Hi all, I'm Adam. Not a newbie to model building, but an absolute newbie to submarine modelling.

I have built (mostly) modern British surface warships, and modern tugs for towing. I am ex RN, I have a varied and sometimes strange sense of humour (warped perhaps) and can generally be found either in the workshop, the gym or the outdoors. If not not in any of these places...check the nearest bar.

Ok, so I've toyed with the idea of a sub for the last few years, and actually had a HMS Upholder kit at one point but I had to many projects on at the time. (Still do!).

Now, I have certain interests and ambitions and so it was time to join a forum dedicated to the subject!

I am initially looking to build modern British (Trafalgar for example), but in future projects I'm fascinated with Disney's Nautilus.

Anyway, enough waffle from me!

When, and if, you get to the Disney NAUTILUS I can help you with that, Adam.

You'll never guess... 03710 You'll never guess... 042_210 You'll never guess... 044_310 You'll never guess... 048_410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwS6o4jsxoU

David
    AdamD98
    AMS member

Post  AdamD98 Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks David,

It's only a matter of time. I will be getting a nautilus at some point in the future.
    Is yours the 31" model and is that a tilting prop/prop shaft you have installed?
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

AdamD98 wrote:Thanks David,

It's only a matter of time. I will be getting a nautilus at some point in the future.
    Is yours the 31" model and is that a tilting prop/prop shaft you have installed?

Right you are, sir. It's the Brodeen 31" resin kit. Yes, the propeller is gimbaled for yaw and pitch -- this way I keep the scale look of the vehicle yet gain active control of pitch (the 'scale' skeg blanked planes are USELESS!) and an enhanced turning rate about the yaw axis -- note that the rudder and yaw axis of the propeller are ganged together resulting in a tight radius turning circle above and below the bounding main.

Here's another video of the Brodeen r/c NAUTILUS going through its paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOO_sz6Sh7U

David
    AdamD98
    AMS member

Post  AdamD98 Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Nice video/s there David, and thanks for sharing the link and info.

I'll be starting with a Sheerline HMS Trafalgar, just to get used to how subs work and the many different functions etc. Once I'm comfortable I'll be heading for a Nautilus kit without a doubt.

I have only found one Nautilus manufacturer so far, so any recommendations for future reference would be greatly appreciated.
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:54 pm

AdamD98 wrote:Nice video/s there David, and thanks for sharing the link and info.

I'll be starting with a Sheerline HMS Trafalgar, just to get used to how subs work and the many different functions etc. Once I'm comfortable I'll be heading for a Nautilus kit without a doubt.

I have only found one Nautilus manufacturer so far, so any recommendations for future reference would be greatly appreciated.

The first site I provided below will put you onto the man himself, Mr. Scott Brodeen. he's the guy who designed, mastered, tooled, and produces those wonderful 31" long models of the Disney NAUTILUS.

Beware: there is a pirated copy of Scott's kit produced by an outfit called, TI. Keep clear of it.

The other guy I want to introduce you too is today's finest kit-assembler of all things Disney NAUTILUS, Bob Martin. He builds these kits for profit and pleasure and knows his stuff -- you'll spend hours at his site looking at all the eye-candy.

Good luck!

David

http://www.disneysub.com/brodeen.html

http://www.nautilusdrydocks.com/aboutus.html

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/SCOTT%20BRODEEN.htm
    AdamD98
    AMS member

Post  AdamD98 Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Ah yes, I have spoken to Bob a few times lately regarding the models of Nautilus.
    It's a shame he doesn't do the big one anymore!

I've spent many a night into the early hours watching his you tube videos! I lose track of time when I get my head stuck into these videos!

Again, thank you for the information, it is very much appreciated.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:04 am

Welcome to the AMS Adam!

From what you are saying Sheerline would be a good choice to get you going with subs.

I need to say that I have never built or owned one but they have a very good following here in the UK.

If you can get along to the Norwich sub weekend you are quite likely to see one and Mr Sheerline himself is usually there

They more or less pioneered the pressure tank ballast system - if you want to look it up on here.

Great that you are moving into subs. (I take it that you already have 40Mhz equipment - a big help?)

David
    AdamD98
    AMS member

Post  AdamD98 Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:44 am

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Oddly enough, although I'm actually from Hartlepool/Teesside, I do spend a lot of time in Norwich and hope to make the next sub weekend if I can. I know Eaton park well, and sail my surface boats there on occasion.
    Having only built Tugs and scale Warships, this is a move I've been looking forward to for a few years now.

I have managed to get myself a sheerline Trafalgar which is already built, and I have a few sets of 40Mhz Tx/Rx collecting dust! I did move to 2.4Ghz like a lot of surface sailors! But I am fully aware of the NO NO's with 2.4 and subs.

Again I find myself waffling on!

Thanks for the welcome, and I hope to get chatting to some of you soon!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 pm