The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

4 posters

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class

John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Empty Re: Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class

Post  John Wrennall Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 am

John Wrennall wrote:My very early attempts at making bulkheads before I bought a lathe, definitely possible.

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0616

I see that most bulkheads have seals which seal in either the radial or axial direction so here is a variation.

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0610

Two discs turned to fit inside the tube as normal, 1 drilled and the other drilled and tapped to allow them to be fastened together. Ignore the centre mandrel holes.

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0612

Note the chamfers on the adjoining faces of the two discs, this is turned to suit the O ring.

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0613

After greasing and assembling, slide into tube and tighten screws(Allen screws better). This compresses the o ring via the chamfer and it grips the inside of the tube.

Small O rings under the Allen screw heads completes the sealing.

This is probably more complex than a 'standard' bulkhead but it may be that someone can find a use for this idea....

An addition to the original post now that I have decided on a use for this adjustable bulkhead...

I always seem to make a "pigs ear" of cutting large diameter tubing square and have now fitted the adjustable bulkhead onto a mandrel to enable it to be held in the lathe chuck. My chuck is too small to take the tube directly. This enables the ends of the pipe to be skimmed square.

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0711

Cheap, simple R/C sub, suitable for beginners - A Charlie Class - Page 2 Img_0710

A second unit is currently being made with a central bearing to allow alignment with the lathe tailstock.

Hope this may be of help to anyone who makes their own cylinders.

John

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am