The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Help with ballast system EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Help with ballast system EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Help with ballast system EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Help with ballast system EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Help with ballast system EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Help with ballast system EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Help with ballast system EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Help with ballast system EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Help with ballast system EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

+2
nigele(ADMIN)2
Kevin D
6 posters

Help with ballast system

Kevin D

Help with ballast system Empty Help with ballast system

Post  Kevin D Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:40 pm

If you read one of my earlier posts you will know that I bought one of Steve Webbs Submarines off Ebay. The model is a German class 202 coastal U-Boat S-173. Steve had already started to fit this out but had not completed it. His son Nigel has been very helpful and provided me with as much information as he could find but I am struggling to get my head around what type of ballast system Steve was fitting. I have added some pictures of what is already in the hull and any help anyone could give would be most appreciated. I would like to complete the build as near to what Steve intended but I am open to suggestions. Am I right in thinking a vented system was intended, I hope the pictures help.

Help with ballast system Dscn0111

Help with ballast system Dscn0112

Help with ballast system Dscn0113
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Help with ballast system Empty Re: Help with ballast system

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:33 am

Hi,Kevin
    Steve would never have use a vented system he hated them,this boat was modified by Steve it originally was a radial bayonet seal,it was either a norbert brugen or engel I cant remember which,the last I can remember he was going to fit a bag inside the tank operated by a peristaltic pump,this was a method he regularly used on small boats,some of the parts where stolen whilst on show at ally pally one year after that he seemed to lose interest in the boat and moved on.
    Kevin D

Post  Kevin D Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Nigel

Thank you for the information, this confirm's what Nigel Webb told me after he had spoken to someone, maybe you?

I'm going to show how green I am now!!!

In the base of the tank there is a hole which I guess is the water intake, this hole is a threaded brass fitting, why has the lid got two pipe connections?

How would the bag be connected as I'm assuming it would be a bag with two pipes, but with the intake hole and the double ended pipe on the lid I have three pipe connection points?

Below are two more pictures one shows the inside of the tank lid the other is the valve Steve was intending to use, these may help with the above questions.

Where could I get a bag to fit the tank as it's very small?

Apologies for all the questions.

If anyone has any pictures or diagrams of a similar set up I would love to see them.

Help with ballast system Dscn0114

Help with ballast system Dscn0115
    Swipe.R
    Swipe.R

Post  Swipe.R Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Looks to me like that may have been set-up to use either gas or compressed air.

If it was designed for peristaltic, why the pair of servo actuated valves?

Also why would the bottom of the tank be vented?
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Mainly because they have nothing to do with that boat,the boat was going to be used for indoor shallow pool displays where lager models would struggle to turn or submerge,the Idea was to pump air not water into the bag inside the ballast tank,the hole at the bottom allows the water in when the air is removed from the bag,the pipes in the top one goes into the bag from the pump,the other one comes out of the bag to a pressure censor which stops the pump at a set pressure,this system is only suitable for shallow diving as the bottom hole is open and at depth the peristaltic pump would be unable to pump air into the bag because of the pressure of the water.

Yes you are correct Nigel did phone me asking if I could remember what his dad was going to do with this little boat.

Steve would never use a gas system he hated them with a passion,and as far as a compressor is concerned the boat is just to small,I remember a discussion about fitting it with a piston tank which is certainly the best option,but sadly Steven was ill by this time so it went no further.
    Kevin D

Post  Kevin D Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 am

Thank you again Nigel, it's a whole lot clearer now, I'll save the valves for another day.

As I live in Norwich and will be using the submarine at the Eaton park club pond then it sounds as though the original idea is still feasible for this venue.

So basically I need a Bag, Pump and Pressure switch, RC Subworks on Ebay or can anyone recommend another source?

Swipe.R
    Swipe.R

Post  Swipe.R Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:24 pm

The peristaltic pumps supplied by the RC workshop are small, slow and expensive.

If you have a search on ebay, you will find peristaltic's of equivalent spec for almost a tenth of the price.

If this system is pumping air, would it not be better to use a pair of small diaphragm pumps, one to pump in the other to pump out. The pumping rate would be quicker and the pumps are generally cheaper.
    freek

Help with ballast system Empty A bit late....

Post  freek Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Hello, my first true post...

This sounds like the setup I have in my 1:32 Holland class. The pressure switch, material and instructions to make the bag, peristaltic pump and controller were all bought from Norbert Bruggen. The bag is flooded from think plastic and glued with special glue. Works well. Freek
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am

Hello Freek,

Nice to hear from you on here and good to meet you both at Bournville. (I trust you have seen the photos on here and I hope you made it to the Ferry OK.)

Interesting that Norbert uses a special bag arrangement. I have never used a ballast bag, mostly because of the difficulty in finding a suitable bag of the right size.

Norbert may have cracked the problem as usual!

David

tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:48 pm

David,

I own one of Norbert's Delta submarines that uses a peristaltic pump and bag. exactly as described. he ships it with a sheet of what appears to be a thick vinyl sheet, thicker than 1mm, large enough to glue together a custom sized bag.

i have searched for a US distributer of the vinyl, and may have found some at McMaster/Carr, but haven't ordered any yet. as to the glue, it is a specific type of CA glue that is waterproof, and it comes as part of the kit.
    freek

Post  freek Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:14 pm

I have also seen people use hospital IV bags. the trick is in the pressure switch. I think it switches at 60 mbar over pressure, so provided your ballast tank controller can stop the pump the risk of breaking the bag is absent. Freek

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am