The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Abyss Explorer Build Log EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

2 posters

Abyss Explorer Build Log

John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Abyss Explorer Build Log Empty Abyss Explorer Build Log

Post  John Wrennall Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Greeting all

I've just recovered a load of photos from my old PC from the build and subsequent mods to a Scratch built submersible. Its NOT scale, indeed its not a model of a real sub and its not Grey but it was fun to build so here goes. (Fun??? only one box of swear words used...)

I was given a length of 5inch pipe and asked if I could make a sub from it cheaply.

The use of Foamex plastic was decided upon as I had a plentiful stock, it works and glues easy and was FREE.

Initial sketchs

I decided to make the nose and tail cones from layers of foamex and shape then accordingly. The disks shown are two such layers, The spoke arrangement is to aid in the hollowing out later in the construction.

All glued and clamped together on a central mandrel, note extra holes for attachment setscrews on front cone. Extra holes on spokes were to aid alignment whilst gluing up in sections.

front cone glued up

now to shape the two cones, mount on 6mm mandrels (long studs in my case) along with bulkhead and fasten assembly in drill.
    (This was before I bought a lathe - don't laugh, it worked)
    shaping outside of a cone

After shaping the outside with file, emery, primer/filler to show low spots we have:-
    front after shaping

And checking for fit/sizes:-
    front
    Rear

Now for the insides of the cones:-
    front cone
    This shows the front cone interior and front bulkhead (stepped for O-ring)
    Out with the dremel and a small milling bit, find mask and goggles and way we go.
    The Spoke arrangement simplifies the amount to be cut out and stops you cutting too far in.

front bulkhead finished
    The 4 nuts are o-ring sealed and retain the nose cone setscrews, the cables are for the searchlights,
    Valve for pressure checks glued in, set screw has o-ring under head for sealing.
    Just a quick aside about the valve, when having two new tyres fitted I spotted lots of valves on the floor at the local tyre dealer, asked?, told "help Yourself" now have dozens.
    Cut as much of the rubber off as you can then buff them up with a wire brush in an electric drill WEAR GOGGLES AND GLOVES AND MASK

interior milled out

nose cone finished
    The three searchlights are 10mm Ultrabrites from Component shop, 2v each , wired in series=6v and resistor for 12v.  Hole at bottom is water ingress, matching small hole at top for air escape.

More to Come....
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Abyss Explorer Build Log Empty Re: Abyss Explorer Build Log

Post  david f Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:14 am

Really ingenious build that! Any photos??
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:27 pm

david f wrote:Really ingenious build that! Any photos??

Hi Dave.

This is my first attempt at posting photos, I put them in as links so clicking on the underline text
    should show them. If not please let me know.

John
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Onwards with part two, the rear cone.

This was made in a similar way to the front cone but with a different fixing method.
    Rear cone internals
    The long 4mm through bolts fasten into captive nuts, the rear bulkhead fits on the through bolts  and is secured by nuts. It was done this way to allow dismantling but without showing the securing method.
    Perhaps not the quickest access but it seemed a good idea at the time.

Rear Bulkhead
    This shows that the propshaft is epoxied to the Bulkhead. The propshaft does NOT fasten to the rear cone but is a snug fit through the rear cone central hole. Double check positioning of PROPELLOR before epoxying.
    Also can be seen two hypodermics sealed to the bulkhead. curious you think, read on
    This photo was taken when I was modifying the existing bellows/pushrod control system to a magnetic system based on an article from "in Depth". This transfers the servo movement to the Control surface without needing bellows which may fail.
    The Hypos are fixed/sealed to the rear bulkhead and the small hole is also blocked - essentially an open ended tube. Rare Earth magnet glued to end of control rod placed in tube.
    Further details
    servo connections
    Two magnets encased in fabricated slider
    Magnet carrier

Whilst the above coupling system worked ok, it should be noted that the hypo tube interior is wet and therefore should be sized to prevent hydraulic locking.

Rear Cone control surfaces

Sorry, no more interim photos of rear cone .
    Outside of cone was CAREFULLY marked then slots milled out (using pillar drill) for control fins.
    To ensure Alignment, the Rudder fins were made as a single unit with hinge tubes fitted and the centre  section removed AFTER being epoxied to the rear cone. Ditto for the Hydroplane fins

Brew time...Internal fittings to come next.
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Part Three The internals.

I decided early on in the build that I would like the internals to be based on a modular system to make it easier to work on a particular aspect if needed. As the boat has 4 through bolts, these modules should fit the through bolts. so lets see some photos.

Ballast tank module first
    Components
    more components
    Tank assembly
    Note that the Red plates are plastic sheet with a two sided Aluminium "veneer",
    This is a replacement Tank assemble with through bolts as I managed to blow out an epoxied end cap on its predecessor.
    Blob on end of pipe is in-line fuel filter
    4 module mounting holes in red plates - slide it on
    Extra dollop of ballast lead at bottom

Servo module next.
    Servo/ESC carrier
    This simple fabrication, again from my favourite plastic, holds the two servos and the ESC.
    Again, it simply slides on.
    I have 4 tubes (not shown) which fit between the two end plates to provide rigidity (also for tank above)

Main control unit next
    main control module

This module contains the main drive battery 8.4v SC stick, The Dive pump/searchlight batteries 10XAA=12V,
    the receiver, an Action switcher for the pump, Main drive fuse 15A and My own Build of Magnetic On-Off switch. Coil at top is the aerial.
    You can't see from this angle but the servo extension leads are numbered.
    Main contol module other side
    Another unit which just slides on.

assembling modules
    and another bit

And now some external info...
    External Tubes
    Initially, these tubes held 5 SC cells each for the dive system (get the weight low) but were an absolute pain to remove for charging so were removed. They are now free flooding and hold part of the ballast system as described in "In Depth".

Hatch, 1of2
    The front viewing plate is fitted with 3 led's to signal any problems back to shore, well it will when I find where I've put the parts.

Keel
    Full length Lead keel (5 inch cylinder = mucho buoyancy)
    There's also extra lead inside main cylinder and ballast trimming system inside tubes.

And Finally
    Maiden voyage
    Maiden voyage at Barrow in 2008, unfinished, unpainted, perfect trim and behaved superbly.

Current condition
    As of Now, before the next Mod.

Ribble Club Lake
    Into the depths to check out the weed in July

Final Ongoing mod coming soon

John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:36 pm

The Next Modification, To be tested this weekend at Barrow

Abyss Explorer Build Log Img_0513