The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Painting and weathering...a master class. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

3 posters

Painting and weathering...a master class.

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Painting and weathering...a master class. Empty Painting and weathering...a master class.

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:47 am

I've been sent a whole pile of photos from David Merriman (thanks David!) on his methods of painting and weathering boats...I think the best way to do this to avoid any confusion, is for me to upload one batch at a time in the order that I received them,, let David make any comments he sees fit, then upload another batch, and so on.

So, here's the first of them...this is going to be good.

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0010

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0011

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0012

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0013

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0014

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0015

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0016

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0017

Painting and weathering...a master class. Dscn0110

Over to you, David...

Here's the link as to where you can get the Nautilus kit : http://www.disneysub.com/31.html

Last edited by Richard(Admin) on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    merriman
    merriman

Painting and weathering...a master class. Empty Re: Painting and weathering...a master class.

Post  merriman Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you, Richard.

Well, guys, I think the best thing to do -- and this will save me from blathering on to an empty class, and some of you dying of boredom -- is to first post the pictures here, then to await any questions/comments/corrections you guys have for me. That way I talk about what you're interested in, not what I'm interested in.

Let the hostilities begin!

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Painting and weathering...a master class. Empty Re: Painting and weathering...a master class.

Post  david f Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am

Looks superb, David!

What's in the little bottles labelled iron and acid?

(Is that a higher tech version of Tim G's suggestion of vinegar and iron filings?!)

I can also see that a lot of the skill is in the brush strokes.

David
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

david f wrote:Looks superb, David!

What's in the little bottles labelled iron and acid?

(Is that a higher tech version of Tim G's suggestion of vinegar and iron filings?!)

I can also see that a lot of the skill is in the brush strokes.

David

Thank you, sir.

The 'skill' is derived from study and practice! As is the case with any Craft (never call it art!).

A knock-off kit of the Brodeen Disney NAUTILUS was produced by an outfit Called Total Immersion -- this was the first Brodeen based kit I worked -- the detail was amazing!

Scott Brodeen, and his associate for a time, Jim Key, are frig'n genius'. look this site over to see what I mean:

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/SCOTT%20BRODEEN.htm

Anyway, back on topic:

The TI kit provided a bottle of iron filings suspended in a water-soluble paste. In the other vile was some Ferric Chloride acid -- apparently a repackaging of the 'rust' paint you'll see in an upcoming series of photos soon to be posted to this thread.

You slop on the paste, let it dry; brush on the acid, and let it sit overnight. Next day you have rust. You then play with additional acid applications using various tools, streaked and dabbed in certain ways to achieve the effects desired. Neat stuff!

I started my study and practice of weathering while doing effects miniature restoration and movie-TV work. Before that, my model work featured museum display quality finishes. Booorrrrrinnngggg!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm