The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1003 registered users

The newest registered user is Stefan Udovenko КПДЮ

5 posters

An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire Empty An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:58 am

This is a bit frightening...that's why I bought a LiPo safety bag.

Last edited by david f on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clearer title)
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire Empty Re: An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Good video i can remember every one panicing when lipos came out as long as you use a lipo bag and take care when setting up the charger there should be no problems.
    ive been using them for years so far so good

take care geof
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire Empty Re: An eye opening piece of footage... A Lipo fire

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm a complete newcomer to LiPo technology, Geoff...the little JellyBean will be the first boat I've built that has a LiPo battery powering it. I've taken every precaution I can...I have a charging bag, an old Pyrex plate to put the battery on when I charge it, an an electronic monitor as well.

Belt n' braces, that's me!
    acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:22 pm

better safe than sorry i say
    Dr.Schmidt

Post  Dr.Schmidt Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

I use LiFePo batteries. Much safer than LiPos, long-lived and they have way more capacity than NiC
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 am

I've been using Lipos regularly in several subs over the last 5 years. No problems so far (touch wood!) even after several floodings. Be careful with the charging - Lipo bags outdoors. Always have an in line fuse in the model.

They are very light and compact and so open up different design configurations. They also hold their charge well.
    Hermann
    Hermann
    AMS member

Post  Hermann Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:04 pm

There is no doubt that Lithium batteries are state of the art and offer many benefits compared to conventional battery chemistries (e.g. lead-acid, NiCd,...), however I still use NiCd and NiMH batteries in my submarine models just to minimise the risk of fire. Of course I could at least double the endurance with Lithium batteries of the same weight but up to now I am still satisfied with the two hours I can achieve with my conventional batteries.
    Dr.Schmidt

Post  Dr.Schmidt Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

As I said, LiFePo batteries are perfectly safe. As safe as NiC but with almost the capacity of LiPos.

Cheers Andreas
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:34 am

LiFePo look to be very good but they don't seem to be "mainstream" technology and so they don't seem to be easily available in a wide range of sizes.

Most of the technology we get comes courtesy of the r/c aircraft chaps and they seem to have gone for Lipo in a big way (presumably weight and capacity)

But Lipos are a contentious issue. For example I know that major players in the field such as Norbert Bruggen don't like the use of Lipos. They seem to be much more accepted by US sub modellers, as far as I can see.
    Dr.Schmidt

Post  Dr.Schmidt Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 am

LiFePos come in many sizes and the technology is identical to LiPo. I use LiFePos in my U-1 bot for the receiver as well as themain battery and will do so for the Nautilus, too.
    Hermann
    Hermann
    AMS member

Post  Hermann Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Dr.Schmidt wrote:. ...I use LiFePos in my U-1 bot for the receiver as well as themain battery and will do so for the Nautilus, too.  

Hi Andreas,
    why do you use a separate battery for receiver supply? The main battery as single power source in combination with a switchmode DC-DC buck (down) converter would also do the job.
    Benefit: you have to charge one battery only (and take care for it) and the amount of energy drawn from the main battery is neglegible compared to the energy taken for the propulsion train. Of course switchmode converters require some Attention concerning EMI Suppression but my models run since years with such a Kind of central power supply (my old class 206a model since 20years meanwhile).

Best regards
    Klaus-Dieter ("Hermann")
    Dr.Schmidt

Post  Dr.Schmidt Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 pm

I could also use the bec of the speed controllers. What can I say.....its a habit.

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 am