The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

+2
Tom(ADMIN)
david f
6 posters

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment

Deep Diver (Fred)
    Deep Diver (Fred)
    AMS member

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Empty Re: Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment

Post  Deep Diver (Fred) Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Just had a quick look at the vid, now I do think that the two ships lifting the 21 are the same two that lifted the Truculent, as they were captured from the German Navy at the end of the war, Some years back I meet up with the Senior Captain for the Truculent life and he had a scrap book of photos of all the lifts that he was in charge off, he is a great guy with lot's of story's about the lift.

Fred
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Empty Re: Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment

Post  david f Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Some progress with the WTBs. The two different sealing methods shown - both working well so far.

Both drive motors installed with 3:1 timing belt reduction gear and Simrit shaft seals. Both push rod glands installed - bellows not fitted yet.

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3511

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3512

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:10 pm

That's coming along nicely now, David...and well done on posting the photos!
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Servos, ESCs and receiver now in and working. I plan to use the ESC's BEC ,this time, to keep it simple.

Now working on the forward compartment for the USE steam engine. (The original Darnell box seals fine but I may use a smaller cylindrical forward WTC. (I'm trying to keep the weight of the model down - advancing old age!) and I also want to use a lead acid battery "in the wet" so I don't need such a large forward compartment.

I plan to hold both compartments in with Velcro - thanks for the idea Richard!

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:24 pm

I understand the 'advancing old age', David...even merely lifting a smallish boat like the X craft or the Skipjack presents me with problems at the moment, hence the building of the Mk4 JellyBean. Maybe when I've been into hospital, and hopefully been refitted, I can go back to them, but for the time being...small is beautiful!

I'm planning on using Velcro to secure the box in the JellyBean as well, two long strips running the full length of the box should secure it nicely, I hope. They don't call me the Velcro Kid for nothing, you know!
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:51 pm

First test of the original USE steam engine in the in the new forward WTC - not very promising.

Connecting up bag and original air vessel - bag empties nicely but a high - ish air pressure develops in the WTC - enough to blow the end cap off!

A pressure gauge shows a pressure which is a only fraction of an atmosphere but I need to do some more tests to see if I can reduce leaks in the USE. I can try nipping-up the spring on the cylinder but if the leak is result of wear on the piston itself it may be the end of my attempts to recommission the Darnell air pump! (And there is not much original equipment left standing!)

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Oh dear...that doesn't sound good, David. I'm surprised that the little USE engine can build up that amount of pressure. Back to the drawing board with you!
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:26 pm

For the record, I have confirmed that my original USE steam engine is too leaky. I can empty the bag but after a minute or so the pressure builds up too much in the WTC. Shame! The only original thing about the Darnell Type XXI is now the hull.

On to rather less time honoured methods such as the piston tank and AMS software or the pumped water pressure tank. (Both of which I have available.)

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that USE steam engines are still available, David...maybe the steam section on Mayhem could help?

Richard
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 am

I think the leakage will be an inherent problem with the Darnell system. Speaking with Nigel it would seem that it would only work reliably in the long term with a float valve which will bring the internal pressure back to atmospheric when the boat surfaces. (That was the method that Dave Wright used.)

Also I think I will be dropping the use of the Darnell flat hatch motor box! It will be so much easier to put a full length WTC in. The hardware is all made up and I already have an end cap.

It is shame that so little of the original Darnell system will remain but it is a nicely finished hull! Without using the original air pump there seemed little point in adopting the rest of the system.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:54 am

You traitor, sir!! There we all were, looking forward to a masterclass in restoring an original John Darnell system to it's former glory, and you're installing a...a cylinder?

How could you, David..I'm shocked and stunned. A cylinder...? Good grief...the world is coming to an end.

Richard
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Yes Richard.

I am also going to burn my 1970's flared jeans and shave off my sideburns and my "Viva Zapata" moustache. I suppose things have to move on!

(The wig is going on the bonfire too!)

David

Last edited by david f on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm

No..not the Irish? How will you keep the top of your head warm in the coming winter?

On a more serious note though, the boat is a beautifully built model, and well worth saving.After all, it's the outside that shows when it's on display...beauty is truly skin deep!

Richard
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:02 pm

New approach, actually using the original WTC from my R class.

Inside the forward tray has the electronics and the dive system (piston or pressure tank). The rear tray is the newly made end cap with the newly installed twin 777 motors.

Altogether simpler, quicker to build and with much more reliability (a lot fewer holes!)

I'm sure that if John Darnell had access to sewer pipe he would have done it this way!

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Image311

Sorry this is the picture for the text above.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok, I'll give you that...it looks much better than the original twin box layout. A nice, neat and tidy installation...my compliments, David..
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:44 am

Just an update on this.
    The Darnell with my own WTC (with proportional piston tank used also in my R class.) went in very quickly and easily.
    It splits into 2 parts very neatly. I can carry the Darnell hull (without the WTC) under my arm.
    Fair zooms around the lake and had her diving  (first time) yesterday. Rear hydroplanes very responsive. Rudder response c**p even with a non-scale extension. But she turns nicely using the props.

I am rather pleased and my decision to drop the original Darnell diving gear was the right one. Technology moves on for a reason.

Now to get a decent paint job before summer!

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 am

Some photos of the Barrow Regatta (Targets + me!) taken yesterday.  An excellent day for all. The renovated Darnell Type XXI is almost finished now and she is still in undercoat but I think that grey is about right for the XXI. I will post some more photos + videos shortly.

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3910

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3911

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3912

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3810

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3811

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3812

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3815

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:55 am

Some more photos of the Type XXI and some videos taken last Sunday,including some static dives (Using the single piston tank.)

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3914

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Img_3817

https://youtu.be/mPpItPK_ShI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4S3xeIt6oII
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwjDKGKeJY

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:54 am

Just an update on this and the Type XXI turning problems:

This version worked quite well but is not awfully scale and the "Yachties" in my club the Furness MBC pointed out that it was a "brake."

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Xxiold10

This version met the "Yachties" approval and turns her quite well. Also easy to remove.

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 Typexx10

A useful discussion on this on Model Boat Mayhem:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39951.0.html
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 am

An update on this following the fitting of twin brushless motors:

Darnell Type XX1 - Graham's Dad's boat for refurbishment - Page 2 20160210

And some videos taken last Sunday in a rather flooded Barrow lake (you can hear my welly boots splashing!)  but a beautiful sunny day:

The 3rd one shows a complete static dive cycle (single home made piston tank (proportional control from openLRS system))

Flat out drawing about 3.5 amps:

https://youtu.be/M6ig24kj5BM

https://youtu.be/SKtJYzQWV8c

This shows a complete static dive cycle (single home made piston tank (proportional control from openLRS system)) One or two lost packet beeps.

https://youtu.be/eJctgegvn5U
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Brillant work :)

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am