His Dad made a very good job of this but it is the original Darnell equipment fit and it is need of some refurbishment/updating. (His Dad got it to the test tank phase but had problems with leaks.)
I thought it would be useful to post some occasional (I have many jobs on the slipway!) photos to help others. I have sent the first batch to Richard for posting here and they show all the original Darnell fit (Steam engine, air bottle, air bags etc.)
My initial thoughts are:
- Leave the hull pretty much as it is.
- Replace the twin Darnell boxes with a cylindrical WTC.
- Single drive motor for both props via reduction gears. (I have not found twin motors to be very effective on subs.)
- Shaft seals rather than grease filled prop tubes.
- Single proportional piston tank where air bag is. (Home made tank and AMS software/hardware)
Any one who has been through this got any comments/ideas or suggestions?
PS Don't laugh at me building a U boat (It can happen to any one of us!)