The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 7:33 pm by geofrancis

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12441 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1008 registered users

The newest registered user is chargerdodge

+7
sloop
timgarrod
merriman
gingyer
tattooed
salmon
Tom(ADMIN)
11 posters

Skipjack.part 2

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Skipjack.part 2

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am

Ballast pump is now fitted and plumbed in...next job, wiring it up.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo24

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_43
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm

This is the final dry run of the cylinder before the wiring and plumbing commences...tomorrow's job, my hands are telling me 'enough'.

Just waiting on the end caps for the ballast tank to arrive, then the cylinder is completed.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo25

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_44

(And David, if you're wondering why your board isn't included in this cylinder, I'm saving it for my Type XX111)
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:33 am

Did the switcher work Ok with your setup?

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

I haven't tried it yet, David....I've been making the most of cooperating fingers and cracking on with fitting out the Skipkack's cylinder. The board you sent me is reserved for my Type XX111, it will have the same setup as the Skipjack (more or less), just a bigger diameter cylinder.
    I hope to give it a try out later this week...fingers permitting, of course.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 am

Sorry to hear about the fingers.

Any feedback on these things would be appreciated.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am

I'll do my best to do a write up on the boards, David...if anyone can destroy them, it'll be me!
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm

In between dodging the decorators and waiting on bits arriving, I've been doing more dry runs of things...one of which has been the rudder and rear plane linkages.

Who was it who invented those tiny little magnetic couplings that connect the brass wires from the servos to the rudder and plane operating rods? What a brilliant idea they are...I've never used them before, but I'm sold on them now. Cut the rods to length...a coupling on each end of the rods...snap them together, job done. No more fiddling about with connectors with grub screws(which I always manage to loose)no more readjusting of rod lengths...just snap the connectors on and off and nothing needs adjusting, a perfect hook up every time.

Whoever the man was who came up with the idea...I salute you, sir.
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:In between dodging the decorators and waiting on bits arriving, I've been doing more dry runs of things...one of which has been the rudder and rear plane linkages.

Who was it who invented those tiny little magnetic couplings that connect the brass wires from the servos to the rudder and plane operating rods? What a brilliant idea they are...I've never used them before, but I'm sold on them now. Cut the rods to length...a coupling on each end of the rods...snap them together, job done. No more fiddling about with connectors with grub screws(which I always manage to loose)no more readjusting of rod lengths...just snap the connectors on and off and nothing needs adjusting, a perfect hook up every time.

Whoever the man was who came up with the idea...I salute you, sir.
    The inventors name of these little magnetic linkage couplers is Brian Stark. A Master model Builder.

Brian showed me his magnetic couplers, used in one of our little 1/96 SKIPJACK kits, at a SubRegatta about ten years ago. I was amazed at the utility these little linkage make-up points presented. No one, in the field, enjoys messing around with linkage connectors under a hot June sun (or, for you Brit's, a driving rain!). Brian suggested I go commercial with his little magnetic couplers. The rest is history.

My Boss, Mike Caswell, of Caswell Inc. put them in the catalog. Here they are: http://www.sub-driver.com/accessories/couplers-bearings-seals-and-rods/klik-ons.html

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Mr Stark, I stand to attention and salute you, sir...

An incredible idea, so simple to use, and with so many uses...I guess you could use them for prop shaft connections on the small, lower powered boats too.

Why didn't I think of these...
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Hull closures, removable sail, reed-switch actuators, linkage breaks, servo-savers, transmission couplers (your above propeller shaft coupling), marker-buoy release mechanism, etc.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 pm

The list seems to be limited only by your imagination, then... I can see I'm going to have to get some more of these little babies.
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:The list seems to be limited only by your imagination, then... I can see I'm going to have to get some more of these little babies.
    Here's my source:

http://www.gaussboys.com/
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for that link, David..a very interesting read.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Today's little job was to make up a tray to sit the battery pack on(in it's own little wtc), inbetween avoiding wet paint, decorators armed with paint loaded brushes, and having to succumb to my carer insisting that I took a shower today.

So, the tray has been made up from 1.5mm styrene sheet, and much to my surprise, everything fitted first time.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_45

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_46

The cylinder fits up to the small bulkhead you can see right up in the bows, the two upright pieces of styrene stop it from rolling about, and eventually there will be two blocks of styrene with brass hooks in them glued either side of the cylinder with an elastic band stretched over it to secure the whole lot in place.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_47
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Today's little job was to install the top and bottom rudders...I did make a bit of a cock of installing my own, but now I have the proper fittings for the job, I ripped out mine and fitted both rudders using the parts David M sent me.

Everything fitted first time round, nothing binds or touches where it shouldn't, and now I have a boat with operating top and bottom rudders. It'll be interesting to see how having two rudders works...my Patrick Henry only had an operating bottom rudder, as did the Kilo and the Dragonfish, so this will be new ground for me.

Just a bit of tidying up to do, and a final drop of epoxy around the bottom rudder bush, and it's job done...thanks David.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_48

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo26
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm

It may be of little surprise to those in this game -- both the rudder and stern plane yokes are based on prototype. Form followes function, as they say.

I know those shots show a test-fit, but do remember to reverse that stern plane yoke -- you need to access those two set-screws once the top of the tail-cone is permanently bonded in place.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Good thinking, sir...there would have been much bad language if I'd have glued all that down and found that I couldn't access those screws...
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Thinking aloud here, David...but why do we bond that tail cone down permanently? Why not make it removable using styrene tabs and small self tapping screws? I guess there is a viable reason for not doing so...
    merriman
    merriman

Post  merriman Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:Thinking aloud here, David...but why do we bond that tail cone down permanently? Why not make it removable using styrene tabs and small self tapping screws? I guess there is a viable reason for not doing so...
    A tight, non-wiggling propeller shaft bearing; ease of access without concern of making up the damned upper rudder each time you attach/remove the upper hull; the ease of removing only one machine screw to access the interior of the model (using the classic Z-cut), rather than dealing with multiple screws if you make the upper-lower hull break a complete equatorial separation plane; and scale effect -- why suffer another unsightly seam (the stern cone) when you don't' have to.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Fair points...a good case for bonding the stern cone down, then. Information taken on board...
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:09 am

The long awaited parts have finally arrived for the Skipjack...it's a real bad hand day today (I think I did too much sawing and filing yesterday, and today I'm paying for it...big time) but I did manage a test fit of the ballast tank end caps, and everything fits perfectly.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_56

Huge thanks to Andy for the s/steel prop shaft and to Nigel for the ballast tank caps....I'm so grateful to you guys.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:30 am

I should have done this from the start...I admit I've struggled with installing the cylinder in the Skipjack, but I just cannot get on with the things, no matter how hard I try. Maybe I'm too 'old school', but I was brought up to use the good old fashioned radio box, so that's what's now going into the Skipjack. This box is the original one as supplied with the X craft kit, and it fits perfectly into the Skipjack hull. I have a new watertight 16" propshaft on order for it, complete with three internal bearings and an oiler tube, that should be here by Wednesday, so I have ample time to prepare the hull in readiness to install the box.

An alloy flange around the top lip of the box, a decent clear lid ( I can almost hear Andy trembling from here...) and we're away.

Skipjack.part 2 - Page 4 Photo_12

(I bet Andy's phone will be turned off from the minute he reads this...)
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 pm

RICHARD ,
    Do You want to say , after all that work do You intend to change WTC with "that UGLY BOX?!?!?!" only for "old time sake"???.   HA , HA , HA.

I was joking of course , but You start from beginning on that box right?.Is not to much effort regarding Your HANDS?.

MARIUS
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 pm

It's practically done, Marius...the equipment tray from the cylinder fitted into the box perfectly, just a little application of the file to ease the opening by a millimetre or two, and it dropped straight in. Two holes drilled to allow the control rods to go through the wall of the box, I have yet to fix the bellows over the rods, and I'm almost there. It's coffee break time now!
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:20 pm

my phone will never be turned off for you mate

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 am